• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Today's Greatest Hits Albums: Really Great...and with hits?

Radiogeek500

Inactive
Inactive User
That is the exact question a AP article posed.

Seems that recent releases of "Greatest Hits" from artists like Mandy Moore, Hillary Duff, B2K, Ruff Endz and Martika(yes, the Toy Soldiers girl) have people asking "Just what qualifies as a greatest Hits album?

The article can be found here

www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/18/music.greatesthits.ap/index.html<P ID="signature">______________
The old skool show@noon with Jeff G and DJ Rawn
Only on Power 106(KPWR Los Angeles)

JOSH, Moderating the whole Radio-Info radio state of California and Indiana too!</P>

> That is the exact question a AP article posed.
>
> Seems that recent releases of "Greatest Hits" from artists
> like Mandy Moore, Hillary Duff, B2K, Ruff Endz and
> Martika(yes, the Toy Soldiers girl) have people asking "Just
> what qualifies as a greatest Hits album?
>
> The article can be found here
>
www.cnn.c> om/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/18/music.greatesthits.ap/index.html
>

Yeah, this is in a thread below.

What's your take on it, Radiogeek?

>
>
>
>

The music industry has made acts so temporary, and disposable these days that I think they issue these greatest hits collections to give the ole cash cow one last milking before it runs dry. Plus these collections may be better received overseas where these so called one hit wonders( in America) often have more than one hit,and a prosperous career. Not sure I responded correctly to this post, but that's my two cents.<P ID="signature">______________
" All my life I've always had my *#@$ together...Problem is I've never been able to pick it up" (Burt Reynolds "The Longest yard")</P>

>
>
>
>

Hilary Duff's album didn't feature hits or good songs. It ponders me how it's called "greatest hits" when in reality it's the reverse meaning. She's leaving Hollywood Records to go do her "gothic" thing. Mandy Moore did one just to end her Sony career because they were pushing her to stuff she didn't like.

Side Question: What ever happened to Christina Aguilera?

I count myself in one of the groups mentioned in the article. I will often wait for a Greatest Hits package as an economical way to collect songs I like... particularly from an artist I care for only marginally. Too many times an original release CD has that familiar "only one good song." At least a Greatest Hits CD will (hopefully) contain other familiar songs even if they're not your favorites.

Something which has always annoyed me is the inclusion of new or never-released recordings on a Greatest Hits CD, especially when they come at the exclusion of other known hits.

Oh, by the way, I have a Martika single on a 45 - "Love, Thy Will Be Done." I used to buy 45s and make my own various artist Greatest Hits tapes, but you can't get 45s anymore. I have so much stuff on vinyl, I may consider getting that new player from TEAC which transfers vinyl directly to CD.

> The music industry has made acts so temporary, and
> disposable these days that I think they issue these greatest
> hits collections to give the ole cash cow one last milking
> before it runs dry. Plus these collections may be better
> received overseas where these so called one hit wonders( in
> America) often have more than one hit,and a prosperous
> career. Not sure I responded correctly to this post, but
> that's my two cents.
>
I don't know often acts are on the charts and become one hit wonders, but I agree that the United States tends to have more than their fair share of one hit wonders. Anna Nallick (name might be misspelled, but you get the idea) to be sounds like a one hit wonder. I will be surprised if she comes out with another song, but based on my opinion of her album with Breathe (2am), overall the album only has 1 song on it that I like, and that's Breathe (2am).

Re: vinyl

> Oh, by the way, I have a Martika single on a 45 - "Love, Thy
> Will Be Done." I used to buy 45s and make my own various
> artist Greatest Hits tapes, but you can't get 45s anymore.

Sure you can! MILLIONS of new 45s and LPs are sold every year. You just have to know where to look to find them. Usually the independent music stores are the ones who actually still carry records (and sometimes even cassettes). If you like Country music, go to Nashville -- many of the stores there carry vinyl, cassettes, and even 8-tracks!
<P ID="signature">______________
noiboc.jpg
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom