• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Today's Country Music

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?

No. Pounding drums, screaming guitars.

You can argue about whether it sounds country, but I think all it has is harmony. I just don't like it.

You can argue about whether it sounds country, but I think all it has is harmony. I just don't like it.

Keep in mind that for years the Opry had a rule about no drums. Then Bob Wills came in and ignored the rule. It was ignored for many people, including the Everly Brothers, Ernest Tubb, and Jerry Reed. If people like you, they ignore the rule. So it doesn't matter.

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?

In a way, I understand what you're saying. But a lot of guys said the same thing about rock music in the 90's and 00's -- too noisy, too much anger, leave out the rap.

It was still rock. And there are always classic rock stations to tune to. You can always tune to a classic country station. Music changes and alters. It's just the way things are, and they've been that way since recorded music, and even before then.

There are some people who love the smell of glue and they buy it in quantity. But it's just not right to market it as perfume.

There are some people who love the smell of glue and they buy it in quantity. But it's just not right to market it as perfume.

No one owns the copyright on the name "country music." I once asked Merle Haggard to define country music, and he said "simple music for simple folks." He didn't specify instrumentation, and his own music featured rock-influenced guitar licks. If it's good enough for Merle, it's good enough for me.

No one owns the copyright on the name "country music." I once asked Merle Haggard to define country music, and he said "simple music for simple folks." He didn't specify instrumentation, and his own music featured rock-influenced guitar licks. If it's good enough for Merle, it's good enough for me.
The difference is when Merle does it, it sounds good.

Past tense...when he did it, it sounded good in the context of his time. That was 40 years ago.
When it's a recording that is played on a station I listen to, it's present tense. Okay, the DJs constantly refer to "the late". Isn't that redundant? Sometimes I think there are fewer artists on the station I like the best who are still with us than there are who aren't.

When it's a recording that is played on a station I listen to, it's present tense.

The thread is about "Today's Country Music." You want it to sound like it did 40 years ago. Not gonna happen.

If the station you listen to only plays old music, then you should have no complaints.

Okay, the DJs constantly refer to "the late". Isn't that redundant?

Only if the station plays only recordings by people who've died. If this is a classic country station, I assume it's still playing many '70s and '80s hitmakers who are still with us. You could argue that most of the listeners probably know Haggard is dead, but that still doesn't make the mention redundant.

The thread is about "Today's Country Music." You want it to sound like it did 40 years ago. Not gonna happen.

If the station you listen to only plays old music, then you should have no complaints.
Well, someone brought up the way Merle did things, trying to claim if he did these things, it's all right for someone to do the same thing today. I'm not sure what the point was because whatever he did, that doesn't excuse what people are doing today.

The station I was listening to yesterday really likes "The Fightin' Side of Me". They played it twice in 15 minutes. How does the automation equipment know not to do that?

Not all the songs are old but they're usually pretty good.

Someone explain to me how "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty is not country when it wounds exactly like half the songs on country radio. Even starts with a banjo, which actually sounds good until the man starts singing.

Someone explain to me how "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty is not country when it wounds exactly like half the songs on country radio. Even starts with a banjo, which actually sounds good until the man starts singing.

It's an example of how you can't base musical genres on instrumentation.

Cause it didnt chart on the country chart ??

I'll bet "Nashville Cats" didn't either.

Probably not. On the other hand, Mumford & Sons' "I Will Wait," a more recent pop hit that also featured the banjo, did get a bit of country airplay on more adventurous stations in non-traditional country markets, reaching No. 37 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom