• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

To Brian Holmes...

Snorch

Inactive
Inactive User
Dear sir,

I've been looking at your Facebook page for "Power 93 The Power Pig - The Legendary WFLZ Tampa Bay". Why do you have such a giant hard-on for Hot? Things not exciting enough up there in the bustling metropolis of Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Now let's keep it civil so that the managing board editor doesn't put us in timeout.

Snorch said:
Dear sir,

I've been looking at your Facebook page for "Power 93 The Power Pig - The Legendary WFLZ Tampa Bay". Why do you have such a giant hard-on for Hot? Things not exciting enough up there in the bustling metropolis of Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Now let's keep it civil so that the managing board editor doesn't put us in timeout.

I've owned www.thepowerpig.com since 2004. And whether it was a stand-alone website or residing like it does now on Facebook, I've
always "reported" news related to The Power Pig and what the old Power Pig staff were up to today. After many requests, I started covering some things that pertain to WFLZ today - like new format competitors, as well..

Not knowing what your definition of "having a giant hard-on for HOT" is, I will simply say this - it's clear which side of this battle I'm on. However, this isn't MY battle. It's FLZ vs. HOT. I just pass along what I know and learn.

When Play 98.7 launched, I also covered that station. The difference between how I talk about PLAY and HOT today is based mostly on their actions. PLAY launched and quietly did their thing. HOT launched a direct attack on FLZ & MJ. HOT set the tone of this battle with their opening words.

I've also pointed out some facts about HOT music, or lack of, only because HOT constantly deletes questions/comments from their own listeners on the Facebook Fan Page for the station. Deleting anything, except for that which is profane, just SCREAMS that you're hiding something or lying.

I dont know that I have a "giant hard-on for HOT" as much as I am passionate about radio and format wars like this.

As far as your sarcastic comment of "things not exciting enough up there in the bustling metropolis of Grand Rapids, MI"?
There is PLENTY going on here, unfortunately our competitors rolled over and played dead a while back. We pick up their slack.

In fact my show at night just had it's 22nd #1 18-34 book in a row in Grand Rapids. And we have GR down well enough that we do separate shows for Toledo, OH (where we are #1 18-34 and #1 25-54), South Mississippi (#2) and Jacksonville, FL as well.

So thanks for your concern but we've got everything under control in our the bustling metropolis and a few other bustling metropolis'.

Hope that answers all you ever wanted to know. If not, ask away.

tngu77 said:
Snorch said:
Why do you have such a giant hard-on for Hot? Things not exciting enough up there in the bustling metropolis of Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Two words: deja vu...

deja vu of?? you mean when WHTS HOT FM launched here? LOL
having WHTS as our closest competitor has been disappointing and boring at best.

Holmes has a right to do what he wants with the Power Pig tribute page, whether it resides on it's own server or he uses Facebook for it. However.... what was a "tribute" page to the old Power Pig and "old" 933-FLZ days, has in the last month turned into a lap dog for the current WFLZ. You state you started covering the latest news after many requests. OK, that's cool.... but again, I thought I was "liking" a tribute page for the way WFLZ used to be and not some current news site constantly ripping a quality competitor. I realize you work for Clear Channel and I realize you have a lot of history with the stations that reside on Gandy Blvd. But come on man... it's good competition and you know damn well that if Tim Clarke called you up offering you a full time shift at great money you would damn well take it. With all that said, YES... it appears WFLZ is doing a good job or reacting to Hot's approach. However, I too have been around the block and know full well that typical listeners don't understand some of these radio tactics. Like what they're doing or not, Hot IS gonna take numbers away from WFLZ. They ARE causing hit radio to hopefully be better for the listeners in Tampa Bay. So hate the station and the people that work there all you want. In my opinion, they're doing it right and doing the best they can with the resources and money budget available. And most of all... they're doing it the way radio used to be; with hopefully some FUN.

To the original poster.... Calling the guy out about Grand Rapids is irrelevant. Holmes has done well for himself and should be respected for his passion and success whether that's in Tampa Bay, GR, or Toledo. He's got a lot of passion and that's they type of person this business doesn't have much of anymore.

I'm not personally for either side in this new competition. I just like good radio and they way it used to be... and so far I like what I hear from the new guy on the block.

billalm said:
However.... what was a "tribute" page to the old Power Pig and "old" 933-FLZ days, has in the last month turned into a lap dog for the current WFLZ. You state you started covering the latest news after many requests. OK, that's cool.... but again, I thought I was "liking" a tribute page for the way WFLZ used to be and not some current news site constantly ripping a quality competitor.
I understand your point here. It was designed to be a tribute to FLZ up to 2005. I chose to cover both the PLAY 98.7 launch and HOT 101.5 launch since they would become part of the big FLZ CHR picture anyways. Please note: When I post something, my opinion may be stated in the caption/status update but there is always a link to a credible news source with the facts of the story as well.

"Lap Dog" for the current FLZ is think is an unfair statement. I see how it may appear that way but with this being a brand new launch, there are lots of little pieces of stories always coming out every day. I'm just simply trying to keep up. I assure you I am no "lap dog" for anyone.

billalm said:
I realize you work for Clear Channel and I realize you have a lot of history with the stations that reside on Gandy Blvd. But come on man... it's good competition and you know damn well that if Tim Clarke called you up offering you a full time shift at great money you would damn well take it.

my employment with Clear Channel/West Michigan doesn't effect what I write.
I do agree, this is competition for FLZ , hence why I'm documenting the moves each station is making along the way.
and Bill, I dont think we've met so you wouldnt know me and I've seen you post here for a long time
so I know you're not trying to pick a fight, etc. Regarding Tim Clarke offering me a full-time shift at "great money"....
well first I doubt there's any "great money" gigs over there but even if there were, no, I would not take the gig.

billalm said:
With all that said, YES... it appears WFLZ is doing a good job or reacting to Hot's approach. However, I too have been around the block and know full well that typical listeners don't understand some of these radio tactics. Like what they're doing or not, Hot IS gonna take numbers away from WFLZ. They ARE causing hit radio to hopefully be better for the listeners in Tampa Bay. So hate the station and the people that work there all you want. In my opinion, they're doing it right and doing the best they can with the resources and money budget available. And most of all... they're doing it the way radio used to be; with hopefully some FUN.

I don't HATE the station or HATE the people who work there. I may think the music is a nightmare or the talent hired is weak, etc but that doesnt equal hate. I agree they seem to be holding their own with what is probably limited resources. The way radio used to be? Not really. Trying to have fun? The air talents sounded bored as shit yesterday.

billalm said:
To the original poster.... Calling the guy out about Grand Rapids is irrelevant. Holmes has done well for himself and should be respected for his passion and success whether that's in Tampa Bay, GR, or Toledo. He's got a lot of passion and that's they type of person this business doesn't have much of anymore.

LOL Thank you. I was like "WTF does GR have to do with this?" But yeah my passion has certainly gotten me through some really crappy years in this biz. I have great bosses above me that "get me" and the insane passion level, they let me do what I do and we win. I am very comfortable here and may not leave. If I do leave, there's a SHORT list of places I'd be interested in going to - all of them know how to embrace the passion level and use it to their advantage.

I appreciate all your comments Bill.

I've suspected for several years that the best radio is flying under the radar in places like Grand Rapids. Brian is talented, smart and can be a royal pain in the butt for control freak managers, however that profile fits an awful lot of people in the business. I'm just delighted that Brian's in a spot where a manager is willing to give him the room to push the envelop and have fun. Brian, I'm also delighted that you're not falling for the temptation to make the next big career moves. These days when you're making a good living and have supportive management you're way ahead of the game and I'm glad you recognize that. Keep going!

Hey Tim....if you offer me a gig for Great Money..I'm in !

-Cow

Cowhead said:
Hey Tim....if you offer me a gig for Great Money..I'm in !

-Cow

There isn't enough money to pull me from Sa-ra-so-ta!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

(P.S. How much was that, again?...)

So Brian...given the monthly that just came out today, do you still support your position that Hot is "just another station that Tommy Chuck will pat on the head and send to bed with no dinner"?

Cuz it looks like they're getting plenty to eat and staying up late...

Snorch said:
So Brian...given the monthly that just came out today, do you still support your position that Hot is "just another station that Tommy Chuck will pat on the head and send to bed with no dinner"?

Cuz it looks like they're getting plenty to eat and staying up late...

Its 6+ ratings... relax. FLZ still wins in the real demos. which is women and persons 18-34 and 25-54. If you have access... look at the breakdowns.

I will say though, the initial sampling of 6+ for HOT is commendable. But this is pretty normal for most start ups in a war. If FLZ is as strong as I know they are... this will make them stronger. Numbers will level out to reality once the "curiosity spike" in ratings subsides.

This will be interesting... but way too early to "call".

OK, here is the breakdown...

WPOI - #1 women 18-34
WPOI - #1 women 18-49
WPOI - #1 women 25-54

I can break it down by daypart, if you'd like.

Surely, you can't be telling me to relax when Captain Clear Channel specifically stated (many times) that this would be another bug that FLZ smashed on its windshield.

Welp, you told me, now didn't you. But again... this is not the end all, be all. Mark my words... ratings will become level. Long term contesting, jocks and overall personality of the station will determine the fate of each station. Building a relationship with the listener. Eager to see how this will pan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom