• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time To Welcome Hell Back To The Valley

"That woman seemed to kill all she slept with - I'll pass, thanks!"

Don't know about that...but she'll definitely fill your convertible with concrete if you were unfaithful! ��

I'm safe...no convertible!! =:eek:

Uh-oh, I do have a vehicle with a sun roof...

REALLY??????????????????
Me thinks "Time to welcome hell back to the valley" is a whole
lot of B.S. With temperatures mainly in the 80's this spring,
I can think of a whole lot of other places I'd rather NOT be!!!!!
Quit complaining or MOVE!!!!!

I agree with Prescott Joe. Nobody in the Valley of the Sun can complain about our winter or spring. All good things come to an end though and this week it will begin the ramp up into summer. Those of us veterans will simply retire to the back porch, sit in the shade with a cool adult beverage and either/or dangle our digits in the pool. In the meantime we don't put up with hurricanes, earthquakes, weekly floods, piles of snow etc., ad infinitum.

REALLY??????????????????
Me thinks "Time to welcome hell back to the valley" is a whole
lot of B.S. With temperatures mainly in the 80's this spring,
I can think of a whole lot of other places I'd rather NOT be!!!!!
Quit complaining or MOVE!!!!!

It's a contest, inspired by Preston Westmoreland of KT'R fame. We're just carrying on the tradition until we can find someone stupid enough to buy the land under the Buckeye Media. Then we'll move!

I remember being in Phoenix, driving around at midnight, and saw on a bank that it was still 100 degrees. But because the sun was down, it was quite comfortable. Nothing a few cold drinks couldn't quench.

I agree with Prescott Joe. Nobody in the Valley of the Sun can complain about our winter or spring. All good things come to an end though and this week it will begin the ramp up into summer. Those of us veterans will simply retire to the back porch, sit in the shade with a cool adult beverage and either/or dangle our digits in the pool. In the meantime we don't put up with hurricanes, earthquakes, weekly floods, piles of snow etc., ad infinitum.

And now Phoenix is the third most polluted metro area in the US after LA and Houston.

I remember being in Phoenix, driving around at midnight, and saw on a bank that it was still 100 degrees. But because the sun was down, it was quite comfortable. Nothing a few cold drinks couldn't quench.

... but it's a dry heat!

And now Phoenix is the third most polluted metro area in the US after LA and Houston.

Not according to the U.S. Lung Ass'n.

Ozone - 7th.
Short-term particle (assume this means dust as well) - 13th.
Long-term particle - not on the list of the top 25.

If you are within the metro "heat island" it will be warm. Drive a few miles outside the "island" (or in an area loaded with trees) and the temp can drop from 10-15 degrees (even more if the adjacent land is under irrigation - I used to freeze my butt off riding my motorcycle past the horse pastures on Bell Road.

I live in a square mile of older homes on big lots with lots of trees and our local temp (as measured on my back patio) is almost always 5-8 degrees cooler than that in town.

You can go swimming after dark in temps of 90-100F and when you get out you will shiver due to the extremely low humidity. People actually stay in the water so they can stay warm (and drink their adult beverages).

Not sure where you are getting that information.
L.A., the California Central Valleys, (Fresno/Bakersfield)
San Diego, The Inland Empire...... are all and always in
the top air polluted areas. It so happens they are all in
California.... Phoenix does have issues with particulates
because of farming and wind driven dust. Otherwise,
Phoenix usually isn't in the top 25 cities.

L.A., the California Central Valleys, (Fresno/Bakersfield)
San Diego, The Inland Empire...... are all and always in
the top air polluted areas. It so happens they are all in
California.... Phoenix does have issues with particulates
because of farming and wind driven dust. Otherwise,
Phoenix usually isn't in the top 25 cities.

The Inland Empire is part of the LA metro for statistics.

If you consolidate the single San Joaquin Valley (not plural) as a single pollution zone, Phoenix and San Diego are tied on Ozone. And that is per the American Lung Association.

L.A., the California Central Valleys, (Fresno/Bakersfield) San Diego, The Inland Empire...... are all and always in the top air polluted areas. It so happens they are all in California.... Phoenix does have issues with particulates because of farming and wind driven dust. Otherwise,Phoenix usually isn't in the top 25 cities.

I have to agree. When I was here for college in the mid '70s, it was usually difficult, and sometimes impossible, to see South Mountain from my folks' house near 52nd St. and Thomas, about a dozen miles away at most. This was when the metro population (both people and cars) was about 1/4 of what it is today, and 90% of cars still used leaded gas. Nowadays, I can see all the major mountains in the area, including White Tanks much of the time, clearly from my location in Mesa near the 202 and Recker Rd., much further away. Rarely are they covered in smog, smust, smaze (to coin terms that were all but required to be used on radio and TV in that era -- LA had smog! Phoenix had smaze. :D ) or whatever you want to call all that crud in the air.

I have to agree. When I was here for college in the mid '70s, it was usually difficult, and sometimes impossible, to see South Mountain from my folks' house near 52nd St. and Thomas, about a dozen miles away at most.

I recall the same thing from the time I was at ASU from 1972 to 1975. From my home in Scottsdale, just north of the old Los Arcos Mall, visibility of South Mountain was not a regular thing. Sometimes, after a rain, you could see it well, but otherwise the view was either fuzzy or none at all.

The Inland Empire is part of the LA metro for statistics.

If you consolidate the single San Joaquin Valley (not plural) as a single pollution zone, Phoenix and San Diego are tied on Ozone. And that is per the American Lung Association.

According to: https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/sota/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html Sandy Ago is #6 and Phoenix is #7. Perhaps not a giant distinction but.....

And, the San Joaquin Valley is separated from the L.A. basin by high mountains and is mostly farmland versus paved-over suburbia. It makes no sense to combine their statistics.

I recall the same thing from the time I was at ASU from 1972 to 1975. From my home in Scottsdale, just north of the old Los Arcos Mall, visibility of South Mountain was not a regular thing. Sometimes, after a rain, you could see it well, but otherwise the view was either fuzzy or none at all.

You and Keith are both correct. Smog in the Phoenix metro in the 70's was deplorable. I moved here from Tucson and could not believe the poor air quality. Since then rather strict emission standards and testing have been enforced and, along with the considerable improvement in vehicle emissions from the manufacturers, air quality has improved greatly. Still an issue but not what it once was.

According to: https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/sota/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html Sandy Ago is #6 and Phoenix is #7. Perhaps not a giant distinction but.....

And, the San Joaquin Valley is separated from the L.A. basin by high mountains and is mostly farmland versus paved-over suburbia. It makes no sense to combine their statistics.

The Inland Empire is the name given to the westernmost parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties which are contiguous to the southeastern part of LA county. It includes: Ontario, San Berdoo, Riverside, Redlands, Moreno Valley, Perris and other smaller communities. It is not part of the San Joaquin Valley... it is part of the Los Angeles CMSA. It's only separate for ratings because the stations in each area voted not to join in one market because of coverage issues where most LA AMs did not reach the IE well and none of the IE AMs reached the LA market. They are combined as a TV market and for just about everything else.

Last edited:

They are combined as a TV market and for just about everything else.

I was just referring to the weather/smog stats. Two very different areas (except for the easterly winds that punish the Inland Empire with the smog from the LA basin) - and for that matter.....Phoenix as well.

We apologize for the CO2 flatulence emitted by our '76 Gremlin and the damage it has done to the ozone layer. Nurse Jeff and I would like to convert our ICE to electric, but can't fit enough D cell batteries in the trunk to do the job. Shirley, there's an easier way to go about this!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom