• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time to Take Back Radio

dbdigital said:
SUPERCASTER said:
the rover said:
Look. all I was trying to say is, that when a classical piece goes to a softer or "quieter" section, then I really prefer --not-- to hear any FM static, which happens when listening to WRR in Dallas . . .
Yes, the defective iBiquity HD digital radio system adds digital noise that sounds similar to fm noise to the analog stereo signal. That is the noise that "goes away" when an HD radio switches to digital. What they don't tell you is that the extra digital noise is an artifact of adding the problematic HD digital carriers to the analog stereo signal.
This is extra HD noise that a non-HD station does not have.
You can plainly hear the digital noise by taking an analog FM radio (even mono) and tuning just above or below the HD FM station. It sounds similar to FM noise, but with a slightly different character.
jim 8230 is probably correct when he said his analog FM station has no such noise problems.
For WRR-FM to get rid of the annoying digital noise, all they have to do is switch off the noise generating HD signal. Then they will have pristine, full fidelity, long range, analog stereo FM again.
HD radio claims to fix what was not broken, until HD radio came along to create added digital interference.

And keep in mind that HD Radio isn't only about junk technology, it's also about control - control by the media conglomerates to maintain the status quo and keep their grip on our airwaves.

They tried to do this when the NAB pushed the third adjacent channel issue. That concern has since proven to be bogus so the media giants are trying to squeeze out low power stations through digital interference.

As Todd Urick wrote in his article, "Digital Garbage: Turning my FM radio into a novelty toaster":

"HD Radio effectively pushes out all but the strongest stations, eliminating weaker signals; "digital interference," or more aptly "digital censorship," will wipe out smaller cultural and educational stations."

http://www.commonfrequency.org/HDradio.html

This is my main objection to hybrid IBOC.

db
It's time for the public to take back control of their airwaves. Since the FCC is no longer acting for the "public interest, convenience, and necessity" and is promoting interference and excessive media concentration.The FCC is acting in ways directly opposed to it's mandate under the laws that established, and are supposed to control it.
Perhaps the FCC needs a purge, and restructuring.

SUPERCASTER said:
It's time for the public to take back control of their airwaves. Since the FCC is no longer acting for the "public interest, convenience, and necessity" and is promoting interference and excessive media concentration.The FCC is acting in ways directly opposed to it's mandate under the laws that established, and are supposed to control it.

HI-Five, SuperCaster! Well spoken... And VERY TRUE! Recent FCC "decisions" and "rubber-stamp rulings" have dismayed me in MANY more ways than just the IBOC debacle... I seem to be asking myself: "Have the Gorillas become the zookeepers?"

SUPERCASTER said:

It's probably worse than that. I've spoken with lots of people at the FCC, and most (if not all) are very nice people who take their jobs quite seriously. There are some really good engineers and lawyers working there, but they are doing what they are told to do from higher up. The actual Commissioners, Martin etal, are political appointees. They are not engineers, and they are not broadcasters. Guess who they answer to?

It's Congress. The best one money can buy (and it frequently does). The LPFM third adjacent rule was just one of many incredible examples where a special interest group got your representatives to insert wording into non related legislation that would influence broadcasting. In this case, the LPFM movement was crippled by inserting prohibitions into a must pass budget amendment that was presented three days before Christmas Break. That's how things in Washington work.

It makes you wonder if they are this out of control on little things like radio, what are these people doing on the really big issues? Judging by the results of the most recent elections, we may be getting ready to find out. Most likely though, we'll just get more of the same.

I guess the voters, and public will have to dunk more Washington "doughnut holes" in the next election in order to take back control of Congress, the Presidency, the FCC, to stop the HD radio iBuzz, and break up excessive media consolidation.

hipporadio said:
SUPERCASTER said:

HI-Five, SuperCaster! Well spoken... And VERY TRUE! Recent FCC "decisions" and "rubber-stamp rulings" have dismayed me in MANY more ways than just the IBOC debacle... I seem to be asking myself: "Have the Gorillas become the zookeepers?"

This is off-topic, of course, but I ran across this in rec.radio.shortware, and it looked pretty cool:

http://www.radiointel.com/phil/phils_radio_tuning_tricks.pdf

RE The FCC Commissioners, in opening statements made at the FCC Public Hearing out in CA a few months ago, it is very clear that --some-- of the commissioners are not happy with the current state of affairs, and the way that the commission, under Gen. Colin Powell's son, Chairman Michael Powell did not seek public input before giving even more power to media giants a few years ago.

From the FCC website:

"The FCC is directed by five Commissioners appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate for 5-year terms, except when filling an unexpired term. The President designates one of the Commissioners to serve as Chairperson. Only three Commissioners may be members of the same political party. None of them can have a financial interest in any Commission-related business."

So, that is to say, that the public -does- have friends on the commission---- just how many of the commissioners will turn out to be friends remains to be seen. The next FCC Public Hearings will take place on December 11th, in Nashville, Tenn.

dbdigital said:
And keep in mind that HD Radio isn't only about junk technology, it's also about control - control by the media conglomerates to maintain the status quo and keep their grip on our airwaves.

They tried to do this when the NAB pushed the third adjacent channel issue. That concern has since proven to be bogus so the media giants are trying to squeeze out low power stations through digital interference.

As Todd Urick wrote in his article, "Digital Garbage: Turning my FM radio into a novelty toaster":

"HD Radio effectively pushes out all but the strongest stations, eliminating weaker signals; "digital interference," or more aptly "digital censorship," will wipe out smaller cultural and educational stations."

db

Sounds "Darwinian" to me . . . . But then, as far as the Federal Govt. is concerned, "Evolution" is the State Religion...

TheRover said:
RE The FCC Commissioners, in opening statements made at the FCC Public Hearing out in CA a few So, that is to say, that the public -does- have friends on the commission---- just how many of the commissioners will turn out to be friends remains to be seen. The next FCC Public Hearings will take place on December 11th, in Nashville, Tenn.

Maybe two. I'm thinking seriously of going. I went to an FCC Public Hearing a few years ago in San Antonio, and haven't regretted it.

Chuck said:
TheRover said:
RE The FCC Commissioners, in opening statements made at the FCC Public Hearing out in CA a few So, that is to say, that the public -does- have friends on the commission---- just how many of the commissioners will turn out to be friends remains to be seen. The next FCC Public Hearings will take place on December 11th, in Nashville, Tenn.

Maybe two. I'm thinking seriously of going. I went to an FCC Public Hearing a few years ago in San Antonio, and haven't regretted it.

When the subject of relaxing media ownership caps came up for comment, the FCC received some 3 million responses, the most they've received on any issue. The overwhelming majority was against relaxing the ownership caps.

Although I wasn't able to attend the two meetings in L.A., the commissioners did get an earful from the public. Both meetings were packed out. Again the majority was against, including some from within the industry (although the networks, whining about increasing competition from cable, called for lifting the caps).

But this FCC fact-finding road show is an effective way to be heard.

db

The Rover said:
RE The FCC Commissioners, in opening statements made at the FCC Public Hearing out in CA a few months ago, it is very clear that --some-- of the commissioners are not happy with the current state of affairs, and the way that the commission, under Gen. Colin Powell's son, Chairman Michael Powell did not seek public input before giving even more power to media giants a few years ago.
I watched some of the CA FCC hearing on C-span. The 3 Republican commissioners were not at all engaged. They appeared bored, impatient, squirming, and kept looking around the room and away from the public speakers that were addressing the panel. They were not open or listening. To me, it was clear they already had gotten their marching orders, so public comments were irrelevant.
I would further characterize their attitude as restless, disinterested, annoyed, perhaps a bit uncomfortable, and pained.
When the meeting ended, they made no closing statements (the two Democratic commissioners did) and scurried out of the room as quickly as they could manage.
Apparently, some of the commissioners sworn oaths to support and defend the 1st amendment of constitution (the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances) take a back seat to career advancement, political ideology, lobbyists, and personal interests.

Chuck said:
TheRover said:

I hope you get to speak.

I plan on watching the coverage on C-SPAN.

Here's a quote from Commissioner Michael Copps: 12/11/06

"Dumbed-down news is not helping our democracy any more than homogenized music and national play-lists are giving us entertainment truly reflective of the creative genius of this diverse nation," Copps said. "We are paying too heavy a price for the lack of diversity, localism, creativity and competition that so much consolidation has visited upon us. The bottom line here an its this -- the people don't have enough say as to how their airwaves are being used and it's time to do something about it."

SUPERCASTER said:
dbdigital said:
SUPERCASTER said:
the rover said:
Look. all I was trying to say is, that when a classical piece goes to a softer or "quieter" section, then I really prefer --not-- to hear any FM static, which happens when listening to WRR in Dallas . . .
Yes, the defective iBiquity HD digital radio system adds digital noise that sounds similar to fm noise to the analog stereo signal. That is the noise that "goes away" when an HD radio switches to digital. What they don't tell you is that the extra digital noise is an artifact of adding the problematic HD digital carriers to the analog stereo signal.
This is extra HD noise that a non-HD station does not have.
You can plainly hear the digital noise by taking an analog FM radio (even mono) and tuning just above or below the HD FM station. It sounds similar to FM noise, but with a slightly different character.
jim 8230 is probably correct when he said his analog FM station has no such noise problems.
For WRR-FM to get rid of the annoying digital noise, all they have to do is switch off the noise generating HD signal. Then they will have pristine, full fidelity, long range, analog stereo FM again.
HD radio claims to fix what was not broken, until HD radio came along to create added digital interference.

db
It's time ;D for the public to take back control of their airwaves. Since the FCC is no longer acting for the "public interest, convenience, and necessity" and is promoting interference and excessive media concentration.The FCC is acting in ways directly opposed to it's mandate under the laws that established, and are supposed to control it.

There is a constitutional procedure for purging/restructuring the FCC, or any government agency.
It trumps Part 15.
It is called the Second Amendment.

Welcome to the Dark Side!

i wrote on another topic in this section how on my suspicions about secret deals that are made before one company bought out a bunch of stations to sale off one of those stations to another. and also to reduce the numbers of radio am/fm stations and tv stations one company to own nationally 10-20 radio stations or 50. tv stations 10-20 and the contest's, the paying of playing a certain type of artists. the music is also bland.

TheRover said:
"the people don't have enough say as to how their airwaves are being used and it's time to do something about it."

Pure BS, they have all the say they need...it is called a tuning button or knob! If no one is listening, things will change...whining to the government to screw things up worse, gives the people less control.

captex said:
i wrote on another topic in this section how on my suspicions about secret deals that are made before one company bought out a bunch of stations to sale off one of those stations to another. and also to reduce the numbers of radio am/fm stations and tv stations one company to own nationally 10-20 radio stations or 50. tv stations 10-20 and the contest's, the paying of playing a certain type of artists. the music is also bland.

So what, you want the FCC to ban music that you find to be bland, or to regulate that stations play many various types of artists, instead of certain types?

OF COURSE deals are made in secret. If they weren't, they wouldn't happen. It's none of anybody's business what private companies do when they negotiate huge business deals. However, when deals are struck, plenty of public notice is given, and proper applications for transfer are filed. What, do you think companies out to ask your permission before they negotiate deals?

Does anybody else who actually works in the radio business find some of the statements made in this thread to be just plain looney? I sure do...

GRAYWOLF said:
TheRover said:
"the people don't have enough say as to how their airwaves are being used and it's time to do something about it."

Pure BS, they have all the say they need...it is called a tuning button or knob! If no one is listening, things will change...whining to the government to screw things up worse, gives the people less control.

You're missing the point, Graywolf, as there will always be plenty of empty heads to listen to the worthles drabble on the airwaves that corporations and their advertising dollars dictate. Gaywolf, it is not enough for people with souls to "turn the dial".... if there is nothing to turn to. It is time that the public, and not the "public corporations advertiswing dollars" have more say in how the airwaves get used!!

Time to Stop Whining

TheRover said:
It is time that the public, and not the "public corporations advertiswing dollars" have more say in how the airwaves get used!!

Rover, I guess it's time that you gathered your puppies and talked them into ponying up enough cash for you to buy a radio station. That way, you can program whatever you like, and lead the "people with souls" out of the corporate radio wilderness.

You see, this is America. All you have to do is create a company, and get people who believe as you do to invest in your company. If your radio station is the success that you predict, then you'll have plenty more people who will want to invest in your company so you can expand into more markets, and show everyone how radio should be done.

How about proving your concept? Putting together an on-line radio station isn't that expensive. Get your stream up, and show people what you've got. If you're right, the "people with souls" will be your biggest supporters, right?

TheRover said:
GRAYWOLF said:
TheRover said:

You're missing the point, Graywolf, as there will always be plenty of empty heads to listen to the worthless drabble on the airwaves that corporations and their advertising dollars dictate. Graywolf, it is not enough for people with souls to "turn the dial".... if there is nothing to turn to. It is time that the public, and not the "public corporations advertising dollars" have more say in how the airwaves get used!!

(Edited for spelling...)

TheRover said:
You're missing the point, Graywolf, as there will always be plenty of empty heads to listen to the worthless drabble on the airwaves that corporations and their advertising dollars dictate. Graywolf, it is not enough for people with souls to "turn the dial".... if there is nothing to turn to. It is time that the public, and not the "public corporations advertising dollars" have more say in how the airwaves get used!!

Actually, that is the point. The market will determine what it wants. If the market wants something different they will force the corporations to do something different (see KZPS). If all they want to hear is 10 songs repeated all day long, they will tune in to the stations that do just that. If that is not what you want to hear...get a CD or MP3 player or create your own station (as SirRoxalot suggested). Using the guns of the federal government to force station owners to provide a product no one wants to hear, just for the sake of someone's definition of diversity, is nothing more than PBS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom