• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TicTak takes over 92.3 NOW!

This afternoon TicTak scrapped the music log and played whatever he wanted while the music director was on vacation in West Virginia. His boss called in and threatened to fire him because he went against the format. He played songs like Barbie Girl, Thong Song, The Perculator, classic freestyle, current dance, old school hip hop, and lots more songs not usually played on the radio. It definitely generated a lot of buzz. I think it was a pre-planned stunt. The Holiday ratings period doesn't count as much as the rest of the year, so it's a good time to try this experiment. This is what makes radio interesting.

Someone recorded a scoped aircheck of the entire show: http://soundcloud.com/zradiolive/923nowtictakfreakout

Yes, and notice how many dudes he put on the air. Way to cater to the demo, with "yo yo yo" ******s all over the radio. "I'm playing what I want... this is my Christmas present to you"... ummm... how is that catering or even sound like catering to the listener?

Imagine what the listeners seeking Katy Perry thought to themselves when they scanned by and heard random urban records.

Having a "free-for-all" or throwback feature is a good idea, and some of the records Now played were perfectly appropriate. But jumping formatic ship for four hours on a Friday afternoon? Terrible idea. The folks at Z100 must have been licking their chops.

TheMusicMan said:
Imagine what the listeners seeking Katy Perry thought to themselves when they scanned by and heard random urban records.

Having a "free-for-all" or throwback feature is a good idea, and some of the records Now played were perfectly appropriate. But jumping formatic ship for four hours on a Friday afternoon? Terrible idea. The folks at Z100 must have been licking their chops.

And imagine how the loyal Katy Perry fans must have felt when the dj they were listening to, just bashed a core demo artist. The channel was switched.

as Janis Joplin once sang, "when you ain't got nothin, you got nothin to lose"........did he play any Janis Joplin?

Of course it was a pre-planned stunt, and it was fun!
It's the Christmas season and they did a great job of doing something different with a bunch of crossover Rhythmic hits that 18-34 year old New Yorkers can easily relate to. It was very interactive, there was the right amount of hype in the air, and overall it had a very New York feel to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a regular feature in 2011 either on Friday afternoons, or on the weekends.

A nice breath of fresh air! I really do hope this sticks around for a while.  This is where 92.3 gets me hooked.   8)  I really think if they stick to this direction, there is a good chance they can make a dent to Z100.  It would be nice to have a "Wired" in NYC.

The most fun on radio I heard in a while. Those girls looking to hear Katy Perry? Most likely at the stores shopping for the holidays...

TicTak has done a variety of interesting stunts over the years. Does anyone remember him at KC 101 in New Haven, back in the summer of 1994, when he kept playing All-4-One's "I Swear" until listeners were sick of it? When he first arrived at WWKX/Providence, he stayed on the air for an entire week (including overnights) as a way to get to know the listeners. I am sure other listeners have great stories! He is a great jock.

Usually, these "DJ takes over the studio" stunts are followed by a format modification, if not an outright flip.

Hmmm...

I'm all in favor of trying something like this. Don't think bashing Katy Perry was necessary though. Not that I'm a big fan of hers either, but I generally don't think that insulting music that your target audience likes is a good idea. Otherwise, I'm all in favor of letting the DJ "take over" on occasion.

mjb1124 said:
I'm all in favor of trying something like this. Don't think bashing Katy Perry was necessary though. Not that I'm a big fan of hers either, but I generally don't think that insulting music that your target audience likes is a good idea. Otherwise, I'm all in favor of letting the DJ "take over" on occasion.

I think it was a bit tongue in cheek though. He kept saying "old Katy Perry records", and later "old Lady Gaga records". Both artists have only been hot for a couple of years now whereas most of the music heard this past Friday afternoon was from earlier in the decade.
So all in all I seriously doubt people who were tuned into 92.3 Now were offended.

by 'old' he most likely meant 'played out', 'burnt', as in played too often to the point where they become 'wallpaper' if you listen all day...
but as Rick Sklar told me at WABC many decades ago,'we're not interested in people who listen all day, top 40 isn't built for people to listen to all day',,,

DToTheJ said:
Usually, these "DJ takes over the studio" stunts are followed by a format modification, if not an outright flip.

Hmmm...

I remember the Rocco The Janitor taking over the station stunt that launched Wild/Wired 96.5. I remember them making fun of 96.5 The Point's former P1s that called in to complain

Actually, if I were in that position, I'd have played Katy Perry's cover of Tears For Fears' "Head Over Heels" - see? I filled the request!

(I want to hear Lady Gaga cover something from Of Montreal, by the way. She could show up on stage with them and nobody'd notice.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom