• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

This is what V100 would sound like if it was around today...

bucwhyl

Banned
http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/v1019/

This station is freaking awesome! CBS, why didn't you hold on to V100? Bad enough, that you killed off my beloved 100.3 Jamz, but V100 was how an urban ac should sound... V101.9 is carrying on the legacy in Charlotte...

Two reasons they killed it...

K-104 and K-104.

While V-100 was a great Urban A/C station the "Stone Monolith" in Grand Prairie had and has a lock on the DFW urban market. Me, I'm still crying though over the switch of Soul 73. Just when they got it sounding real good, poof!!! SOLD...

Jay Walker said:
Two reasons they killed it...

K-104 and K-104.

While V-100 was a great Urban A/C station the "Stone Monolith" in Grand Prairie had and has a lock on the DFW urban market. Me, I'm still crying though over the switch of Soul 73. Just when they got it sounding real good, poof!!! SOLD...

No, when the tower fell in Oct. 1996 plus the worrying about KRNB was V100's downfall.

bucwhyl said:
http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/v1019/

This station is freaking awesome! CBS, why didn't you hold on to V100? Bad enough, that you killed off my beloved 100.3 Jamz, but V100 was how an urban ac should sound... V101.9 is carrying on the legacy in Charlotte...

It was not CBS that flipped Jamz, it was Granumn Communications. They bought Jamz to specifically turn it into V100.

salemjedi54 said:
No, when the tower fell in Oct. 1996 plus the worrying about KRNB was V100's downfall.

Salemjedi,

While that's part of the story, all the tower collapse did was provide a good excuse for the format's under/low performance. The tower collapse in fact extended the life of the format another six months to see if the pre-accident trends could be reversed. It was fairly common knowledge at the time, the format was in it's waning days and CHR was being seriously looked into as the ratings were trending in an overall decline before the accident.

K-104 coupled with the pending arrival of KRNB heavily influenced the decision to move towards CHR with first the "Hot 100" then "Wild 100" approach. Remember at the time the CHR format had been handed exclusively to KISS with the demise of KEGL, Y-95 and others.

In V-100's prime it was an outstanding Urban A/C but again, Urban was/is a tough market to get a piece of in DFW due to the massive amount of listener loyalty to K-104. To be in, you have to be ready to lose money for a long time to build/steal your base.

Jay Walker said:
salemjedi54 said:

Salemjedi,

While that's part of the story, all the tower collapse did was provide a good excuse for the format's under/low performance. The tower collapse in fact extended the life of the format another six months to see if the pre-accident trends could be reversed. It was fairly common knowledge at the time, the format was in it's waning days and CHR was being seriously looked into as the ratings were trending in an overall decline before the accident.

K-104 coupled with the pending arrival of KRNB heavily influenced the decision to move towards CHR with first the "Hot 100" then "Wild 100" approach. Remember at the time the CHR format had been handed exclusively to KISS with the demise of KEGL, Y-95 and others.

In V-100's prime it was an outstanding Urban A/C but again, Urban was/is a tough market to get a piece of in DFW due to the massive amount of listener loyalty to K-104. To be in, you have to be ready to lose money for a long time to build/steal your base.

KRNB was on the air at the time, but you could not hear it. Management was worried about KRNB and they lost their focus on what was going on at KRBV. I was working at V100 at the time of the tower collapse and they put The Oasis back on the air before the V. So for about 7-10 days V100 was off the air.

salemjedi54 said:
Jay Walker said:
salemjedi54 said:

Salemjedi,

KRNB was on the air at the time, but you could not hear it. Management was worried about KRNB and they lost their focus on what was going on at KRBV. I was working at V100 at the time of the tower collapse and they put The Oasis back on the air before the V. So for about 7-10 days V100 was off the air.

Yes, I know, I along with Vance and Jerry put you back on the air from WFAA Hill Tower with one of my transmitters. My point is the station was trending down 6 months before the accident and format discussions were in the mix well before the demise. While V-100 was great in it's prime, it was nearing the "sell by" date before the accident and most likely because management lost focus on the mission...

I really believe now, in the PPM era, V100 would be very successful.

bucwhyl said:
I really believe now, in the PPM era, V100 would be very successful.

If KRNB can then surely KRBV would be.

That format works in markets like Atlanta and Charlotte, but not Dallas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom