• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

THERE'S A PIRATE ON 105.3 IN THE BRONX! >:

I'm just venting :mad:

When I was playing around with the radio to see if I could pull in Kicks 105.5 from the Northern Bronx (this stemming from another thread regarding trying to pull a country station into NYC from surrounding areas...and to answer, I could only pull in WDHA from Dover, NJ.), I then went down to 105.3.

Now being so high up on the 3rd highest land point in NYC, I usually can pull in Party 105...on 105.3...from my apartment. SO OF COURSE TO MY DISMAY, WHAT DO I HEAR??? FRIGGIN REGGAE MUSIC FROM A PIRATE ON 105.3! Now, I can't catch the Party signal on 101.5 (WKXW - Trenton pulls in there) so on my FM radio I am out!!!!

Granted, I am probably one of the few in here that are sympathetic to a "community voice". Yet as it is in The Bronx, almost EVERY other Pirate is CARIBBEAN (okay okay, because someone is going to say it....DAH DAH DUM! DING!!!!). So whoever in on 105.3 (which is MOST LIKELY somewhere on White Plains Road....definitely the Wakefield section)....GET OUT!!!!!!!

Yes, I do realize that WPTY 105.3 is part of the Nassau-Suffolk market. But regardless of which, due to my apartment being high up, I can pull it in. That's what I want to hear.

you people have 90.1, 92.7, 93.5, 94.3, 94.9, 95.9, 96.7, 97.5, 99.9, 100.7, 101.5, 102.3, 103.9, 104.7, 106.5 for caribbean and hip-hop.....why in the blue hell must there be yet ANOTHER same format pirate on 105.3?......feel better lol :D

I am surprised you can't get any signal from 101.5.....I have gotten 101.5 W268AN along the Hudson River in Rockland & Bergen counties.....It wasn't listenable and it was mess with WKXW & WPDH mixing in but I was still able to identify it.

All Pirates should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Anyone can set up an internet radio station in any format they want. Legal broadcasters pay big bucks for their licenses, so why should these creeps get away with illegal broadcasts.

Bruce

BruceS8852 said:
All Pirates should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Anyone can set up an internet radio station in any format they want. Legal broadcasters pay big bucks for their licenses, so why should these creeps get away with illegal broadcasts.

Bruce

Creeps running unlicensed stations vs creeps running licensed stations.

GSP163 said:
I am surprised you can't get any signal from 101.5.....I have gotten 101.5 W268AN along the Hudson River in Rockland & Bergen counties.....It wasn't listenable and it was mess with WKXW & WPDH mixing in but I was still able to identify it.

Maybe it's the direction of the antenna but I can't get spit on 101.5 from W268AN. Just tried it now....it's a VERY faint NJ 101.5 mixed with a very faint CARIBBEAN PIRATE!

The 105.3 pirate, they call it "Mellow Radio". Move to another frequency for all I care.

GET OFF 105.3!!!!!! :mad:

Be glad that in this day and age nearly every station streams online. I'm sure Tony will definitely tell Vic Latino about the pirate. Also tell Clear Channel about the pirate as it's harming Power 105.1 in its local area.

Sadly, given the laziness of the FCC against pirates, you can most likely say goodbye to receiving Party 105.3 in the Bronx unless you go to the pirate station personally and destroy their transmitter. Most pirates stay on for years even after getting a friendly letter from the FCC. They only raid 1 or 2 pirates a year (and they've already raided one this year)

There's a new trend of pirate stations using the first adjacents of licensed stations, because there are too many pirate stations on the second adjacents! A new pirate popped up on 92.1 in Newark, splattering on to 92.3 Now in parts of Newark because it's overmodulated. And Streetz 106.5 is the Grinch that wipes out 106.7's Christmas music in Elizabeth.

Nick said:
Be glad that in this day and age nearly every station streams online. I'm sure Tony will definitely tell Vic Latino about the pirate. Also tell Clear Channel about the pirate as it's harming Power 105.1 in its local area.

Sadly, given the laziness of the FCC against pirates, you can most likely say goodbye to receiving Party 105.3 in the Bronx unless you go to the pirate station personally and destroy their transmitter. Most pirates stay on for years even after getting a friendly letter from the FCC. They only raid 1 or 2 pirates a year (and they've already raided one this year)

There's a new trend of pirate stations using the first adjacents of licensed stations, because there are too many pirate stations on the second adjacents! A new pirate popped up on 92.1 in Newark, splattering on to 92.3 Now in parts of Newark because it's overmodulated. And Streetz 106.5 is the Grinch that wipes out 106.7's Christmas music in Elizabeth.

I'm just noting it here.

Vic reads these things. If anyone at JVC Broadcasting wants to take it from there, they can do so. Though it would be a waste of time since, as far as I know, I'm the only one in The Bronx that is a listener and in all technicalities their signal doesn't cover where I live. I just live too high up with Long Island "in the clear" whereas I can actually get them.

Wow the pirates in the NYC area have it made. The pirates are shut down rather quick and face severe prosecution In FL and the Midwest.

I felt the exact same way about the overmodulated 87.9 pirate in Newark. I almost wanted to risk my life trying to destroy its antenna. And I feel angry at that waste of a translator on 105.3 in Connecticut that translates the exact same station that the 91.9 translator on the same tower translates. There is no need to simulcast the same programming on 2 identical signals.

One thing that I do not understand about these pirates is how do they not know there is already a station on the frequency they are taking over? or putting a pirate on an adjacent frequency from NY? Do they realize that their station isn't going to be heard with another station already on there?

One time when I was in Brooklyn my seek stopped on every frequency between 93.9 and 96.3 because there were so many pirates! The only other time my seek would stop on every frequency is during an e-skip opening when I'm out in the suburbs.

94.1, 94.3, 94.5, 94.9, 95.1 (2 pirates), 95.3, 95.7, 95.9, 96.1 (this is just a small subset of the list of pirate stations in Brooklyn)

I think there are twice as many pirate stations in New York City than there are licensed stations. There are so many pirate stations that the coveted second adjacents have multiple pirates on each frequency, and the first adjacents are disappearing gradually. By next year I'm sure every frequency will have at least one station on it, whether it be licensed or pirate. People who have FM transmitters in their cars for iPod or Sirius XM already have a hard time finding a clear frequency, it's not fair that pirates from many miles away can jam a legal part 15 FM broadcast just a few feet away.

Raider57 said:
One thing that I do not understand about these pirates is how do they not know there is already a station on the frequency they are taking over? or putting a pirate on an adjacent frequency from NY? Do they realize that their station isn't going to be heard with another station already on there?

Well they can easily scan the dial to determine what frequencies don't already have a station broadcasting. And they don't seem to mind putting a pirate on a frequency that is adjacent to a legitimate frequency. Pirates will continue to flourish until the authorities can start imposing substantial punishments to the point where it won't be worth the risk of having a pirate station. A slap on the wrist and a couple fines is not going to stop these guys.

ansky212 said:
Raider57 said:

Well they can easily scan the dial to determine what frequencies don't already have a station broadcasting. And they don't seem to mind putting a pirate on a frequency that is adjacent to a legitimate frequency. Pirates will continue to flourish until the authorities can start imposing substantial punishments to the point where it won't be worth the risk of having a pirate station. A slap on the wrist and a couple fines is not going to stop these guys.

Add TO the fact that if you did stop one pirate, another one is going to show up on that frequency anyway.

Wow, sounds like its getting pretty bad, here in San Francisco the FCC raided all of them last year, now there's only one on 87.9 in San Francisco, no where near any liciened stations

Unlike New Jersey and Florida, New York does not have a law to raid the pirates, arrest them and confiscate the equipment. Broadcasters in NY are organizing to push for the legislation. 94.5 has gotten so brazen it recently added stereo equipment. A new Manhattan pirate at 102.3 is interfering directly on top of an LI station. The FCC could do more to help with equipment to get exact addresses. At minimum building owners and co-op boards could be talk to. People are on the take to agree to the illegal towers.

Nick said:
One time when I was in Brooklyn my seek stopped on every frequency between 93.9 and 96.3 because there were so many pirates! The only other time my seek would stop on every frequency is during an e-skip opening when I'm out in the suburbs.

94.1, 94.3, 94.5, 94.9, 95.1 (2 pirates), 95.3, 95.7, 95.9, 96.1 (this is just a small subset of the list of pirate stations in Brooklyn)

I think there are twice as many pirate stations in New York City than there are licensed stations. There are so many pirate stations that the coveted second adjacents have multiple pirates on each frequency, and the first adjacents are disappearing gradually. By next year I'm sure every frequency will have at least one station on it, whether it be licensed or pirate. People who have FM transmitters in their cars for iPod or Sirius XM already have a hard time finding a clear frequency, it's not fair that pirates from many miles away can jam a legal part 15 FM broadcast just a few feet away.

Welcome to Italy.

As long as the FCC has decided to let iboc sidebands destroy first adjacents anyway, let 'em rip!

What's good for the Goose is fanTAStic for the Gander!

The FCC is 40 years behind in tending the garden for broadcast services, so they'll write some tickets,
but I don't expect that they'll ever care much about weeds in the garden they are entrusted with.

But if they really cared, lamp dimmers, TRIAC and SCR devices wouldn't have destroyed much of
the MW as it has.

There's a pirate in the Bronx?

I thought there's a holdup in the Bronx…and Brooklyn's broken out in fights.

There's a traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights.

There's a scout troop short a child.

Khruschev's due at Idlewild.

Uhhh...Does anybody know who Khruschev is or what Idlewild was?

Merry Christmas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom