• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The worst tv newscast ever

I think it's important that new talent to any TV station learn the pronunciation of towns/regions that may be hard to pronounce to someone who doesn't live in the area.
Happens all the time here in the Phoenix metro (and throughout all of AZ to be honest).

The most mispronounced? Probably 'Mongollon' pronounced mon-GO-lee-own, not mon-go-lawn.

The most misspelled? Easy. T-U-C-S-O-N not T-U-S-C-O-N.

I actually like seeing newscasts from out-there towns.
I wondered if anything close to what we used to see where I live even exists. I'm glad knowing there's still something like that somewhere nowadays! I sure don't call that "worst".

Didn't use to. KFRC for decades did their temperatures as "Oakland 54, San Jose 63 and it's 56 degrees in The City". In fact, KKCY, in the 80s, was called "The City". And when I lived in Mendocino County in the 70s, nobody said "I'm going to San Francisco". It was "I'm going to the city"---and nobody ever asked which city.
When my family moved to the Bay Area in 1960 EVERYBODY who lived there referred to SF as "The City". Even the KYA (AM) jingles used "The City" IIRC and so did a song by Starship called "We Built This City On Rock and Roll". Good explanation and history of that song at https://www.songfacts.com/facts/starship/we-built-this-city as it apparently had several versions as to which city it referred.

Happens all the time here in the Phoenix metro (and throughout all of AZ to be honest).

The most mispronounced? Probably 'Mongollon' pronounced mon-GO-lee-own, not mon-go-lawn.

The most misspelled? Easy. T-U-C-S-O-N not T-U-S-C-O-N.

When I got to Phoenix to work for Channel 3 in March of '86, I was stunned to see Channel 10 was running promos with Bill Close and Claren Scott, which focused on Bill being the old-timer and Claren, a relative newcomer having pronounced Ajo [[ AH-ho ]] as
"A-ho" on her first broadcast.

I'm sure it was meant to be disarming, but man, to have your rookie first error wind up in a promo that runs every three hours for a month sounds like zero fun.

I can't find a video clip of it online, so let's just go with the actual script from Episode 1, Season 1 of the original "Murphy Brown":

[CORKY comes in]

CORKY: Hi. I hope I’m not interrupting anything, but I just wanted to say, Murphy, what a pleasure it is to meet you, and tell you myself, that I will be honored to be sitting beside you every Wednesday night! And if I can be even one tenth the journalist you are, I have reached my goal! Because you, Murphy, are the best!

MURPHY: Gee, thank you very much! That’s very sweet!

CORKY: Oh! Miles, how do you pronounce this word?

MILES: "SHE-ite."

CORKY: Phew! That could’ve been real embarrassing!

[CORKY exits]
There was a joke I was told by a Texan co-worker in my Arkansas days. It involved a family driving through Texas and entering the town of Mexia. They argued about how to pronounce Mexia far too long for Dad's patience to hold out, so he pulled into a fast-food joint and asked the proprietor "Excuse me, but we've been arguing in the car about this. Could you tell me slowly and clearly how this place is pronounced?" Proprietor responds "Daaaaiiiirrrrryyyy Queeeeeeennn."

The one in the Bay Area that always gets me is San Rafael: san ruh-FELL.

In my native state, Missouri, they do a bang-up job of mangling French names. There are too many to list, but probably the most egregious one is managing to get Bois d'Arc to rhyme with "Ozark".

But you also have to watch out for certain localisms. Again, Missouri, specifically the St. Louis area - you have to be very careful with the term "Hoosier". It doesn't necessarily refer to someone from Indiana. Instead, it is a common synonym for "redneck".

Then there's the matter of geographic nicknames. This is especially touchy for San Francisco. In fact, I heard one this morning from some sports weasel on KOA, who referred to "San Fran". THIS IS NEVER, NEVER, EVER DONE. (And there seem to be quite a few ex-Californians in Denver now, so they'll know you're not credible if you say things like that.) "Frisco" is almost as bad.

Referring to San Francisco as "The City" is also sure to raise hackles in outlying areas. At the same time, though, it's common to refer to South San Francisco (a separate municipality) as "South City".

"Oaktown" for Oakland seems to be OK, though, in fact is something of a point of pride. If you say "Oaktown" you probably also know how to pronounce "Leimert" properly.

Back to Missouri - if you refer to St. Louis as "St. Louie", well, don't expect to be taken seriously about anything else.

If you're on the air in these markets, surely some wise soul has taken you aside to caution you about these pitfalls.
I live in Contra Costa County, in the East Bay. Everyone here calls S.F. "the city." "I have to drive into the city today." They all say that constantly. I didn't realize it was considered improper by some people. :)
"San Fran" or "Frisco" is never done and is said only by tourists. :)

When I lived in southern Caliornia, and everyone called Los Angeles "downtown". I think the traffic reporters on KNX still refer to "traffic on the 10 eastbound coming out of downtown", for example. L.A. traffic reporters put the article "the" before the freeway number.

When I got to Phoenix to work for Channel 3 in March of '86, I was stunned to see Channel 10 was running promos with Bill Close and Claren Scott, which focused on Bill being the old-timer and Claren, a relative newcomer having pronounced Ajo [[ AH-ho ]] as
"A-ho" on her first broadcast.

I'm sure it was meant to be disarming, but man, to have your rookie first error wind up in a promo that runs every three hours for a month sounds like zero fun.
As you know, Bill Close was a legend here (anyone wearing a bolo tie is an instant legend). I remember Claren but not well enough to say she was a pronunciation nightmare.

Back in '86 was 10 CBS and 3 independent?

It would behoove newbies to the AZ radio and TV businesses to run through a short study of Spanish names and pronunciations before their on air debut. We probably see many more errors on the chyron than voice. I can only guess the chyron is done by someone living in Poughkeepsie, Noo Yawk.

L.A. traffic reporters put the article "the" before the freeway number.
I don't know about the traffic reporters (since I no longer commute) but almost everyone else living in the Phoenix metro also does it. Longer term natives tend to refer to the freeways by their names (Black Canyon, Superstition, Loop whatever) but newbies usually use numbers.

The one in the Bay Area that always gets me is San Rafael: san ruh-FELL.
Gringo's usually take a first stab with san-raf-e-ell.
But you also have to watch out for certain localisms. Again, Missouri, specifically the St. Louis area - you have to be very careful with the term "Hoosier". It doesn't necessarily refer to someone from Indiana. Instead, it is a common synonym for "redneck".
And "Hoser" in most of North America refers to a male buddy (especially in Canada) but it can be easily mistaken and get you a punch in the nose in certain liquid dispensing establishments.
Then there's the matter of geographic nicknames. This is especially touchy for San Francisco. In fact, I heard one this morning from some sports weasel on KOA, who referred to "San Fran". THIS IS NEVER, NEVER, EVER DONE. (And there seem to be quite a few ex-Californians in Denver now, so they'll know you're not credible if you say things like that.) "Frisco" is almost as bad.
There used to be a railroad freight company with the name "Frisco" and each of their cars had the painted banner "Ship It On The Frisco". Taggers in the city took great pleasure in repainting "San" in front.
Referring to San Francisco as "The City" is also sure to raise hackles in outlying areas. At the same time, though, it's common to refer to South San Francisco (a separate municipality) as "South City".
When I lived there South City was a common reference to SFO, the airport, since that was about all there was there. And 'real' San Franciscans did not want to be associated with the ruffians who lived in South City.
"Oaktown" for Oakland seems to be OK, though, in fact is something of a point of pride. If you say "Oaktown" you probably also know how to pronounce "Leimert" properly.
Never heard "Oaktown". We'd always say "East Bay". Nobody wanted to go there and would do most anything to avoid saying their name. Even KTVU used to describe itself as being located in "Jack London Square" and didn't mention Oakland.

I actually like seeing newscasts from out-there towns.
I wondered if anything close to what we used to see where I live even exists. I'm glad knowing there's still something like that somewhere nowadays! I sure don't call that "worst".
Every night that I stayed in Montana earlier this year, I would turn the TV on at 10:00 (MT) and watch the local news. Over the course of a couple of days, I realized why most people out there watch the MTN stations. High-quality local news for such a small state, population-wise. Jill Valley is a great anchor and has tons of experience at both KPAX and KECI.

And yes, there are some city names in Montana that are quite hard to pronounce. I could see why a young anchor might have problems with the city name of Saint Ignatius. Also, Skalkaho Pass (east of Hamilton).

As you know, Bill Close was a legend here (anyone wearing a bolo tie is an instant legend). I remember Claren but not well enough to say she was a pronunciation nightmare.

Not at all. Claren was a total pro. I just thought it was epically insensitive of 10's promotion department to take her first on-air flub and somehow make it into a promo.

I'd also met Bill Close (I was interviewed for and offered a job at 10 before I wound up at 3) and knew the soft, fuzzy kindly uncle thing was a crock. He was emotionally and psychologically brutal to the women he worked with and that promo was probably his idea.

Back in '86 was 10 CBS and 3 independent?

No, 10 was CBS but 3 was still ABC. The big affiliate shuffle---10 to FOX, 5 to CBS, 15 to ABC and 3 to Independent, happened in stages between the late summer of 1994 and January of 1995.

It would behoove newbies to the AZ radio and TV businesses to run through a short study of Spanish names and pronunciations before their on air debut.

That does not always work out so well in Phoenix. Take Vanessa Ruiz at KPNX seven years ago:

Channel 12 anchor Vanessa Ruiz talks pronunciation

Vanessa put up with a lot of crap for pronouncing "Casa Grande" properly for about two years and then quit to join the faculty at ASU's Cronkite School of Journalism.

We probably see many more errors on the chyron than voice. I can only guess the chyron is done by someone living in Poughkeepsie, Noo Yawk.

Are you talking about Chyron or closed captioning?

When I lived in southern Caliornia, and everyone called Los Angeles "downtown". I think the traffic reporters on KNX still refer to "traffic on the 10 eastbound coming out of downtown", for example.

Well, no.

When they say "heading into downtown" or "coming out of downtown", they're referring to actual Downtown Los Angeles (or DTLA, as it's become known).

LosAngelesCAMap.gif

Everything in orange on this map is Los Angeles---the actual city of Los Angeles.

It's just over 500 square miles.

So, to say "heading into Los Angeles" would be meaningless.

That's why L.A. references tend to be either neighborhoods (Downtown, Hollywood, West L.A.) or incorporated suburbs (Santa Monica, Pasadena, Beverly Hills).

San-Francisco-Road-Map.jpg

San Francisco is just under 47 square miles. It and its neighborhoods are compact enough to simply be referred to as "The City", unless you need to be more specific (North Beach, Marina, Inner and Outer Sunset, Inner and Outer Richmond, etc.)

Didn't use to. KFRC for decades did their temperatures as "Oakland 54, San Jose 63 and it's 56 degrees in The City". In fact, KKCY, in the 80s, was called "The City". And when I lived in Mendocino County in the 70s, nobody said "I'm going to San Francisco". It was "I'm going to the city"---and nobody ever asked which city.
Yes I remember when San Francisco Proper was the largest city in NorCal. Ever since the 1990's census San Jose took the title of largest city in Northern California.

When I lived there South City was a common reference to SFO, the airport, since that was about all there was there. And 'real' San Franciscans did not want to be associated with the ruffians who lived in South City.

Gentrification has come for South San Francisco. While "The Industrial City" is still painted on the backside of Mt. San Bruno, it's diversified and spruced up what turns out to be a very charming, if small, historic downtown.

https://www.ssf.net/

Even KTVU used to describe itself as being located in "Jack London Square" and didn't mention Oakland.

Well, they do and did because the FCC requires the legal ID of KTVU, Oakland (and they throw in San Francisco and San Jose).

KTVU is still in Jack London Square, and Jack London Square is considered a crown jewel of Oakland:

https://jacklondonsquare.com/

Every night that I stayed in Montana earlier this year, I would turn the TV on at 10:00 (MT) and watch the local news. Over the course of a couple of days, I realized why most people out there watch the MTN stations. High-quality local news for such a small state, population-wise. Jill Valley is a great anchor and has tons of experience at both KPAX and KECI.

On one of our big camping trips a few years back we checked into a motel for a night or two (nine nights in a tent seems to be my limit) in Thermopolis, Wyoming. A long way from anywhere. Denver's 400 miles, Salt Lake City is is 357. It's been seven years, and I may be wrong, but I think the TV came from Billings, MT (190 miles). That's market #234, and they did pretty solid newscasts.

And yes, there are some city names in Montana that are quite hard to pronounce. I could see why a young anchor might have problems with the city name of Saint Ignatius.

Well, not those of us raised (or raised by, in my case) Catholics.

Also, Skalkaho Pass (east of Hamilton).

I'll confess here to a mild case of dyslexia. I'd be liable to read that one wrong on the first pass. Guessing it's [[ SKALL-ka-hoe ]], but the emphasis could be on either of the other syllables. Which is it?

Zap2It says Thermopolis gets Casper TV on Spectrum cable. Your trip was BEFORE KTWO was sliced and diced away to NewsNet. Unless somehow they were able to get Billings some other way. KULR had a translator in Cody.

Zap2It says Thermopolis gets Casper TV on Spectrum cable. Your trip was BEFORE KTWO was sliced and diced away to NewsNet. Unless somehow they were able to get Billings some other way. KULR had a translator in Cody.
Nope---it probably was Casper. 132 miles away---makes sense. Again, seven years ago and I wasn't obsessively watching. Now that I think about it, I believe we only spent one night. Turned on the TV to see what they got and thought it was pretty decent. Casper's market 198, so good for them.

Everything in orange on this map is Los Angeles---the actual city of Los Angeles.

It's just over 500 square miles.

So, to say "heading into Los Angeles" would be meaningless.

That's why L.A. references tend to be either neighborhoods (Downtown, Hollywood, West L.A.) or incorporated suburbs (Santa Monica, Pasadena, Beverly Hills).
That is exactly what I just said.

If the traffic is backed up in Burbank, reporters call it Burbank. It it's backed up in Northridge, they call it Northridge. If there's a problem in Palos Verdes, they say Palos Verdes.

That's right. That's what they do. They don't call all of it Los Angeles, because the boundaries of the city are so large. That's right. It's over 500 square miles. They call it Burbank, Northridge, Reseda, Woodland Hills, Encino, Palo Verdes, etc. etc. etc.

So instead of saying downtown Los Angeles, meaning the area around City Hall, they simply say "Downtown". In general, they don't say "downtown Los Angeles." They just say "downtown".

"Los Angeles" means "downtown". Because the outlying areas (while still technically within the city limits), each have their own name and designation.

So, yes, I agree with you. Which is exactly what I wrote above. "Downtown" means DTLA. That's right. You're right. I agree.

Yes. Thank you for sending me a map of greater Los Angeles, where I lived since 1951, went to school, went to college, went to grad school, married, raised a family, and worked all over, and have been able to navigate the entire area without any map whatsoever since I was 16 years old. LOL.

Here's a map of Downtown Los Angeles. DTLA. Just for your information. FYI.

😂😂😂

Attachments

• los-angeles-downtown-map.jpg
    los-angeles-downtown-map.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom