• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Wolf to stop howling?

It looks like WOTW’s days as Country are numbered, especially after placing a 0.9 in the May 2022 Nielsen Audio book. Among the candidates are AC, Variety Hits, and Rhythmic Top 40. Stay tuned.

JVC has not bought the book for this station in quite some time. They could never beat WWKA. I would be curious to see what the ratings are for their sister station WDYZ (Florida Man Radio). I don't believe they're buying the book for that one. If they are that station's not registering.

Rhythmic Top 40 would be interesting and would represent a fitting return to the company's origins.

One of the co-founders of JVC Broadcasting is "Vic The Latino" (Victor Canales) who was at 95.3 Party in the late 90's / early 00's. He also has ties to Party 105 and launched short-lived dance-leaning Rhythmic Top 40's in Gainesville and Atlantic City many years ago.

He's no longer involved with JVC Broadcasting since about 2017, but with Power 95.3's exit, maybe they see an opportunity to revive Party?

Last edited:
When WWKA 92.3, the heritage Orlando Country station, can only place at #9, you know the Orlando market has become more urbanized. (Although if you add its streaming ratings, it would go up to #7.) But still, it looks like Orlando is not a market that needs two Country outlets. Especially when two full-power Latin Contemporary FM stations (WRUM and WOEX) are in the top ten as well.

Should WOTW switch to a format that recognizes Orlando's increasing Hispanic audience, maybe an English language station that plays Rhythmic Contemporary music and dance hits of the last 25 years? Sort of like a WKTU New York, transplanted to Central Florida?

On the other hand, with Classic Rock/Classic Hits WMMO at #2 in the ratings, maybe there's an opening for a Jack-FM station.

Last edited:
On the other hand, with Classic Rock/Classic Hits WMMO at #2 in the ratings, maybe there's an opening for a Jack-FM station.
With WOCL slipping, I'm not sure if Variety Hits would do any better. Then again, I still can't tell if Sunny is just slipping as a format, or because the morning show has become so polarizing with ultra conservative talk.

I would love to see (and hopefully be a part of) something that is a mix of 80s, 90s, 2000s hip hop, dance, freestyle, & pop.

JVC has not bought the book for this station in quite some time. They could never beat WWKA. I would be curious to see what the ratings are for their sister station WDYZ (Florida Man Radio). I don't believe they're buying the book for that one. If they are that station's not registering

They did buy the book for Florida Man Radio. It's not registering at all. Streams have more cume.

1657391764297.png

They also destroyed a classic rock station in Ft. Walton Beach for this garbage. They should have kept playing Doobie Bros. instead of Bubba the Love Sponge and Shannon Burke.

1657391974733.png

The fact that no one in the JVC building has prior success and knowledge of the country format, an Urban/Hip Hop format change totally makes sense. Hopefully, management's fascination with Bubba the Love Sponge doesn't have him do mornings on it. It's still crazy to think they had him do mornings on The Wolf when they launched.

Don't shoot that silver bullet at The Wolf just yet. WOTW has moved up a bit in this last book. I know it's overall, but they're up to 2.4 where as last month it was 0.9. And sister station WDYZ is now on the board with a 0.1;)

Flipping WDYZ to their "Y100.1" True Oldies format that they have in Ocala (and on 103.1HD3) would probably make more sense. That should give them more than a 0.1. 😅

Flipping WDYZ to their "Y100.1" True Oldies format that they have in Ocala (and on 103.1HD3) would probably make more sense. That should give them more than a 0.1. 😅
Florida Man Radio is supposed to be on 103.1 HD-3, but as of this writing, 2:25PM 7/16/22, 103.1's HD is off, only RDS showing. As for running the automated True Oldies Channel, it could get better ratings, but JVC would have to promote the heck out of it. True Oldies was tried here in 2006 on 810 WEUS, but it was never promoted and it took a long time for it to gain traction. If memory serves me correctly their highest rating over all was just over a 2 share. And shortly after achieving that the plug was pulled on that format on that station. The other issue with oldies is the demographics it caters to. No one seems to know how to sell advertising to the 55 and over crowd, so while they could have better ratings with oldies, they will not bill well. Don't know how well WDYZ is currently billing, but I do hear quite a few PSA's during stop sets, so that makes me believe they're not selling much advertising.

I remember Big 810AM. I miss that station. TBH, I don't really care much for billing, even though I know it's a "business", & they have to make a profit & cover operating costs. I'm old fashioned. I just want better things to listen to on the radio. I always go back to the movie "Field Of Dreams", where the voice says "If you build it, they will come." 😁

I guess the silver bullet has been loaded and the weapon is ready to be fired directly at the wolf. Like we really need another rhythmic chr here. Doesn't WXXL & WOMX play enough of that? Wouldn't it be funny though if WOTW beats WWKA in their last book?
But the market is soon going to be about 40% Hispanic, with nearly all of that from Puerto Rico. Country is not a viable format among them, and, thus, is increasingly less appealing in Orlando. Rhythmic formats, particularly with mostly English language songs, are big in Puerto Rico... and even more so among the middle and upper middle class people who have moved to the mainland.

One day, the Wolf will fly away, but although it's true JVC is less experienced with country, they are also less experienced with hip hop. They have the Party in Long Island, but that is not considered a hip hop station. And, that beating translator carries the Breakfast Club.

I guess the silver bullet has been loaded and the weapon is ready to be fired directly at the wolf. Like we really need another rhythmic chr here. Doesn't WXXL & WOMX play enough of that? Wouldn't it be funny though if WOTW beats WWKA in their last book?
XL does not lean hip hop, much less a Hot AC like MIX.

I guess the fact that "The Beat" doubled in ratings since "Power" signed off was enough for them to think they will get some of that piece of pie.

There is a "Fly 98.5" in my hometown area of Fort Myers that is Rhythmic CHR.

In my opinion, I really hope this upcoming "Fly 103.1" will have a mix of Pop/Dance Throwbacks & Classic Hip Hop instead, or at least somewhere in their programming schedule, because I am a HUGE fan of that. And I think that would be "fly". 😁

I guess the fact that "The Beat" doubled in ratings since "Power" signed off was enough for them to think they will get some of that piece of pie.

There is a "Fly 98.5" in my hometown area of Fort Myers that is Rhythmic CHR.

In my opinion, I really hope this upcoming "Fly 103.1" will have a mix of Pop/Dance Throwbacks & Classic Hip Hop instead, or at least somewhere in their programming schedule, because I am a HUGE fan of that. And I think that would be "fly". 😁

That's what I'm hoping for too!

"Fly" is a pretty common name for hip hop throwback stations, but I think the better business decision is to include at least some current music. Maybe it launches as a throwback station and slowly adds current music after launch? And yes, I'd love to see some Dance music!

"Fly" is a pretty common name for hip hop throwback stations, but I think the better business decision is to include at least some current music. Maybe it launches as a throwback station and slowly adds current music after launch? And yes, I'd love to see some Dance music!
There's only two stations in the Country utilizing the "Fly" brand. CHR "Fly 92" WFLY Albany NY and Rhythmic CHR "Fly 98.5" WFFY Fort Myers. Neither are or ever were Classic Hip Hop.

"Flo 107.1" KFCO Denver was briefly "Fly 107.1" when it launched in 2014, but a C&D forced them to swiftly rebrand.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom