• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The shows changing networks thread

Once in a blue moon there is but not very often.
They're all the time bringing people up on stage. Some don't volunteer but get drafted by the Weird Newscasters or potential dates.
I really only saw, at least, the first couple seasons of the CW version & lost track of the show afterwards. During that time it seemed like they were only having guest stars, likely due to a CW mandate, participating in what was normally the parts where the audience would participate. I guess that I will have to check out the later episodes then as I liked it when, on the ABC version, they would do that.

Last edited:
I really only saw, at least, the first couple seasons of the CW version & lost track of the show afterwards. During that time it seemed like they were only having guest stars, likely due to a CW mandate, participating in what was normally the parts where the audience would participate. I guess that I will have to check out the later episodes then as I liked it when, on the ABC version, they would do that.
One audience participation game is sound effects. The audience members always do a terrible job and Ryan and Colin (who are usually the cast members playing) comment on the terrible sound effects and everyone laughs, including the audience members who are messing up.

There is also a game where they use actual text messages on audience members' phones.

Yes, the guests were overdone and I got sick of the "Helping hands" skit they liked to do with the guests. It was usually CW stars, so I agree it was to advertise the CW shows, but the constant guests went away a few years ago, and it is more like the ABC version now.

Yeah the Family Matters/Step by Step thing was rather awkward, and then CBS attempted to emulate what ABC had done with TGIF by launching CBS Block Party on Friday nights, and paired those aforementioned shows with new sitcoms “The Gregory Hines Show” and “Meego” (Bronson Pinchot as an alien in suburbia). Yeah, it flopped BIG time.

I remember this was when ABC merged with Disney.

I remember this was when ABC merged with Disney.
Family Matters still got a Disney World episode two seasons before the move to CBS. Can’t remember if Step by Step did or not.

Family Matters still got a Disney World episode two seasons before the move to CBS. Can’t remember if Step by Step did or not.

Yeah, Step By Step had a Disney World episode older teenager said he was in the Disney family when he really wasn't a member of the Disney family. TGIF had a block that all the sitcoms were at Disney World Boy Meets World where Cory & Topanga get back together.

I watched Baywatch in syndication in the 90s I'm it was largely on Fox stations across the country with indies that became UPN or The WB. I always liked to call Baywatch Babewatch for most of its run was on WXMI Fox17 in West Michigan for the Hoff years the Hawaii season for the final 2 years was on WWMT late at night late Fri/early Sat.

Yeah the Family Matters/Step by Step thing was rather awkward, and then CBS attempted to emulate what ABC had done with TGIF by launching CBS Block Party on Friday nights, and paired those aforementioned shows with new sitcoms “The Gregory Hines Show” and “Meego” (Bronson Pinchot as an alien in suburbia). Yeah, it flopped BIG time.

Part of the reason why Family Matters & Step by Step moved from ABC to CBS, & why Meego was created, was due to then CBS president, Les Moonves, having been friends with, & the former boss of, the creators & producers of those TV shows.

It appears that also includes revival versions that were separate from each other, which is a different animal from something moving while in continuous production.
An example of the first one would be the CW's version of Dynasty, on from 2017-22 (revival of the 1981-89 ABC serial of the same name w/John Forsythe et al.)

The latter would be T.J. Hooker, which moved to CBS for its fifth and final season (1985-86), after four seasons on ABC from early 1982 (the tail end of the 1981-82 season) to the end of 1984-85).

Back
Top Bottom