• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The selling of lear Channel

DashRiprock said:
Which 9 channels do Clear Channel own on XM?

Nashville! (11), KISS (21), Mix (22), Sunny (24), Fox Sports Radio (142), Extreme XM (152), WSIX (161), Talk Radio (165), WLW 700 (173).

Another thing to keep in mind is XM currently has exclusive rights to all Clear Channel owned content, like most of the shows on their talkers. So Sirius cannot run shows like Glenn Beck, Coast to Coast AM, Lex and Terry, or the FSR network.

PaulO said:
Will the selling of CC affect XM?

I doubt it. Isn't it really more just a shareholder change? Don't see how that will change anything.

Rico Garcia said:
PaulO said:
Will the selling of CC affect XM?

I doubt it. Isn't it really more just a shareholder change? Don't see how that will change anything.

The new ownership group may want to divest all of CC's XM holdings. Or it may want to increase CC's stake in XM, if XM still wants CC around. Don't forget, XM gets a cut of the advertising revenue CC makes on its channels -- that's found money for XM on the four music channels CC controls, as XM has a no-advertising policy on its own music channels.

If CC wants to continue on XM after 2008 or whenever the deal expires, XM will have to decide whether it wants to kick a stockholder, a programming source AND a revenue stream out the door. Is the public as a whole convinced that Clear Channel is evil and advertising on music channels is evil, or is the vocal resistance just the bleatings of a statistically insignificant number of anti-corporate utopians and sat-radio fanboys on Internet message boards?

CTListener said:
Is the public as a whole convinced that Clear Channel is evil and advertising on music channels is evil, or is the vocal resistance just the bleatings of a statistically insignificant number of anti-corporate utopians and sat-radio fanboys on Internet message boards?

Good question - Time and ratings will tell.

smashedcd said:
we can only hope cheap channel is gone after the sale is complete..

Yep, and that will give XM the ability to put some of the "online only" channels back on the radio, such as Special X, and my favorite channel (and the reason why I got XM in the first place), The Torch.

JoeMorris said:
smashedcd said:

Yep, and that will give XM the ability to put some of the "online only" channels back on the radio, such as Special X, and my favorite channel (and the reason why I got XM in the first place), The Torch.

this may be hard for some of you to believe but its one of the main reasons i got it also :eek:

smashedcd said:
JoeMorris said:
smashedcd said:

this may be hard for some of you to believe but its one of the main reasons i got it also :eek:

Hopefully the long rumoured 'Vacation Channel' , 'BritPop' , and a return of 'Special X' or 'Ngoma' will appear on the bird if CC's channels are gone.

A Jam Band channel, a hit oldies 1956-1976, a second blues channel are my requests.

I hope XM keeps the CC channels. I would love to see KIIS-FM
in Los Angeles return to the XM line-up, or as an alternative,
launch another Hit Music Channel called Channel Z!!!!!

Henry Ochs said:
I hope XM keeps the CC channels. I would love to see KIIS-FM
in Los Angeles return to the XM line-up, or as an alternative,
launch another Hit Music Channel called Channel Z!!!!!

What makes you think they would do that? CC pulled KIIS from XM when they decided to syndicate Ryan Seacrest. But yes, I used to listen when it was KIIS. The music selection and the presentation was very cool as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom