• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"The Rest of The story"

Silkie said:
>>And Connie has stated several times that the biggest mistake she ever made was not marrying Bobby Darin.
Why isn't Connie Francis in the Rock & Roll HOF?<<

When the prince arrives, and you know it, you hold on for dear life - even if papa has a gun in his face - however long it takes for the prince to sort out and figure out whose foot the slipper fits. Now, why she isn't in the R & R Hall of Fame is as much a mystery as why Chicago is not in the R & R Hall of Fame. You should hear their excuses.

Sadly politics rules--even in Rock & Roll.

She should have In with the first group. She is seen by many a Pop artist and passed over for the Hall. The same can be said of Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Frankie Avalon, many others with a huge body of work, and get passed over. I see some marginal artists(not in talent, but style) get into the Hall. She has a pretty Rockin' Box set on the Bear family label, on that basis alone she shoud be in the Hall. At the end only the seventies only the beatles, Elvis, Fats and Ricky had sold more records than Connie, but hey, I am prejudiced when It come to Connie Francis, she's my favorite female vocalist, and I still have "Lipstick On My Collar".

hornet61 said:
She should have In with the first group. She is seen by many a Pop artist and passed over for the Hall. The same can be said of Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Frankie Avalon, many others with a huge body of work, and get passed over. I see some marginal artists(not in talent, but style) get into the Hall. She has a pretty Rockin' Box set on the Bear family label, on that basis alone she shoud be in the Hall. At the end only the seventies only the beatles, Elvis, Fats and Ricky had sold more records than Connie, but hey, I am prejudiced when It come to Connie Francis, she's my favorite female vocalist, and I still have "Lipstick On My Collar".

I was never a big fan of Connie's music, although I like a few of her songs. Having said that, she had numerous major hits in Rock & Roll's early years and was a major force. I can't understand her not being in the HOF and why Dick Clark who has major influence hasn't pressed for her entry.

radioman148 said:
hornet61 said:

I was never a big fan of Connie's music, although I like a few of her songs. Having said that, she had numerous major hits in Rock & Roll's early years and was a major force. I can't understand her not being in the HOF and why Dick Clark who has major influence hasn't pressed for her entry.
Like you said radio, "politics".

"Don't like it but I guess things happen that way..." ~Johnny Cash

GridLeakBias said:
radioman148 said:
hornet61 said:

Like you said radio, "politics".

"Don't like it but I guess things happen that way..." ~Johnny Cash

I wonder if they realize how hideous they appear to be when they write back in a condescending tone that the days of nominating oldies like Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley are behind us, and now it is up to New York to decide who the new blood will be. LOL Should'a saved that particular e-mail from when I suggested that Chicago should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Curators of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame. They're a pathetic lot.

Silkie said:
Curators of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame. They're a pathetic lot.
AMEN

Another great story from Fred Bronson: Singer Lori Lieberman caught this up and coming singer/songwriter at the Troubadour in LA and was blown away by his performance. She felt a dramatic connection with his lyric and some of her life experiences...so moved that evening she started writing a tune about that encounter she titled "Killing Me Softly with his Blues"....It was eventually re-written by Gimbel and Fox, as "Killing Me Softly With His Song" and recorded by Lieberman. Later covered by Roberta Flack, who took It straight to #1. The artist that blew away Liberman that night
as he sang his #1 hit , American Pie, and others, Don McClain.

Who am I????????

This artsist as a studio musician along with Carole Kaye, Hal Blaine, Larry Knectel, Earl Palmer, was used on many many Beach Boy recordings, toured with the Beach Boys One summer, but has never been considered an official Beach Boy.

He also toured and recorded with the Champs...never considered an Official Champ.

Recorded as a Hondel........never toured as a Hondel.

Started his career at 16 with uncle "Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Boys" in Albuquerque, NM until he was 20 and moved to LA. Became one of the the most sought after studio musicians and eventually one of the biggest stars of all time ...several Number #1's, both Pop and Country.

Who am I ???.... fairly easy.....go to the head of the class, if you don't have to look It up.

hornet61 said:
Who am I????????

This artsist as a studio musician along with Carole Kaye, Hal Blaine, Larry Knectel, Earl Palmer, was used on many many Beach Boy recordings, toured with the Beach Boys One summer, but has never been considered an official Beach Boy.

He also toured and recorded with the Champs...never considered an Official Champ.

Recorded as a Hondel........never toured as a Hondel.

Started his career at 16 with uncle "Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Boys" in Albuquerque, NM until he was 20 and moved to LA. Became one of the the most sought after studio musicians and eventually one of the biggest stars of all time ...several Number #1's, both Pop and Country.

Who am I ???.... fairly easy.....go to the head of the class, if you don't have to look It up.

Glen Campbell.

answered in record time, by radioman, which maens he didn't have to look It up, he knew the answer.......go straight to to front of the class.

he met his first wife in Ruidoso, NM......she gave birth to their first child at pres hospital in Abq, NM 1960, this child grew up to be an Airline attendant and sings with him on tour, she's not bad, they do the duets he did with bobbie gentry and Anne Murray...of course we are talking about Glen and duaghter Debbie Campbell.

hornet61 said:
answered in record time, by radioman, which maens he didn't have to look It up, he knew the answer.......go straight to to front of the class.

he met his first wife in Ruidoso, NM......she gave birth to their first child at pres hospital in Abq, NM 1960, this child grew up to be an Airline attendant and sings with him on tour, she's not bad, they do the duets he did with bobbie gentry and Anne Murray...of course we are talking about Glen and duaghter Debbie Campbell.

Hey I can't miss 'em all.

hornet61 said:

The Dick Bills TV show ran on KGGM-Ch13, Albuquerque, it was an afternoon program, enjoyed by many youth. My memory tells me Glenn also used to play at a nightclub which was on the south side of US66 just into Tijeras Canyon. My memory fails me with the name of this club, I think it was finally demolished sometime in the late 80s or early 90s(?) Help me, Hornet.

GridLeakBias said:
hornet61 said:

The Dick Bills TV show ran on KGGM-Ch13, Albuquerque, it was an afternoon program, enjoyed by many youth. My memory tells me Glenn also used to play at a nightclub which was on the south side of US66 just into Tijeras Canyon. My memory fails me with the name of this club, I think it was finally demolished sometime in the late 80s or early 90s(?) Help me, Hornet.
The club was the Paddock or Craddock Supper Club....exactly where you remember it, the area is called "Carnuel"....they also played at the Hitching Post on old Coors and the Coral on morningside and Central close to your old stomping grounds the Highland Theatre. The Coral later was changed to La Roc..which was coral spelled backwards, opened by Bill Preveti.

Theme to Dick Bills show ............which actually ran on KOB ch 4 the NBC affilliate...but, you are correct on KGGM Tv ch 13 the CBS affilliate

Heading down to Albuquerque
saddle bags filled with beans and jerky
headin to K circle B
TV ranch for you and me
K circle B in albuquerque

I am doing Highland Class of 59 reunion this weekend...didn't you attend Highland ???

hornet61 said:
GridLeakBias said:
hornet61 said:

The club was the Paddock or Craddock Supper Club....exactly where you remember it, the area is called "Carnuel"....they also played at the Hitching Post on old Coors and the Coral on morningside and Central close to your old stomping grounds the Highland Theatre. The Coral later was changed to La Roc..which was coral spelled backwards, opened by Bill Preveti.

Theme to Dick Bills show ............which actually ran on KOB ch 4 the NBC affilliate...but, you are correct on KGGM Tv ch 13 the CBS affilliate

headin to K circle B
TV ranch for you and me

I am doing Highland Class of 59 reunion this weekend...didn't you attend Highland ???
Thanks Hornet, and I blew it – DB was on KOB (KGGM studio is across the street), and I should have remembered that – I engineered at KOB-TV 1970/71. (-1 for the brain freeze.)

headin to K circle B
TV ranch for you and me

K circle B tells the tale doesn’t it? KOB-TV4

The Hitching Post ranks at the top of Albuquerque’s past famous night spots. I didn’t know the Coral (or LaRoc), but who could forget Bill Preveti?

Yes, my stomping grounds – Hiland Theater (usher and doorman) and Highland High, Class of 58. 50th reunion was last Sept, I wasn’t able to attend due to prior commitments.

GridLeakBias said:
hornet61 said:
GridLeakBias said:
hornet61 said:

headin to K circle B
TV ranch for you and me

Thanks Hornet, and I blew it &#150; DB was on KOB (KGGM studio is across the street), and I should have remembered that &#150; I engineered at KOB-TV 1970/71. (-1 for the brain freeze.)

headin to K circle B
TV ranch for you and me

K circle B tells the tale doesn&#146;t it? KOB-TV4

The Hitching Post ranks at the top of Albuquerque&#146;s past famous night spots. I didn&#146;t know the Coral (or LaRoc), but who could forget Bill Preveti?

Yes, my stomping grounds &#150; Hiland Theater (usher and doorman) and Highland High, Class of 58. 50th reunion was last Sept, I wasn&#146;t able to attend due to prior commitments.
you are correct ..they are still accross the street from each other...If you make the 55th in four years you have my
e-mail we need to get together for dinner, my wife and I will host. Highland 59 will be at the Abq Country Club, this saturday.....hell you could crash that one, I'll get you In.

hornet61 said:
you are correct ..they are still accross the street from each other...If you make the 55th in four years you have my
e-mail we need to get together for dinner, my wife and I will host. Highland 59 will be at the Abq Country Club, this saturday.....hell you could crash that one, I'll get you In.
HHS Class of 59 – the wife of my high school best bud graduated at Highland that year, and also some other good friends. Those were good years, 1958/59.

My thoughts for HHS59 reunion music: “Torquay” The Fireballs (a 59 tune by a NM group – Raton if my memory serves me); “Red River Rock” Johnny and the Hurricanes (another 59 tune and a possible reference to the NM Ski area, Red River); “Remember When” The Platters, (also from 1959 – dedicated to those who married their high school sweethearts).

Thanks for the invite to crash at the country club, I would take you up on it but I already have a date with my lovely wife that evening. Another time, who knows? ;D 8)

hornet61 said:
roger that....open invite when you visit the Duke City.
So Hornet, how was the HHS59 reunion? Did your DJ'ing get rave reviews? 8)

went great some names you might remember, jarett galbreath, lee trussel, david david ( not kidding),lee rondeau. guy lazar, bruce west...remember any of those names

requests from the gang:

your so fine - falcons
honky tonk - did the ventures version from the LP rock n roll
great balls of fire - killer
in the still of the night
young love
three bells
sincerely - mcguire sisters

of course the slow dances packed the floor.

biggest surprise of the evening was they danced the most to CW honky tonk music, you'd think you were at a Valley High reunion you might remember that's were all the stomps went to school.

Crazy arm
jambalaya
I ain't never
lovesick blues
hey good looking

obviously I kept It from 55-59, even played a couple of Al Hurricane.......kept them dancing till closing time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom