• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The real KJET Moving in - 105.7

KJET 105.7 - COL change to Union, WA - C3 from North Mountain - looking for DX reports from the west side of Puget Sound

As opposed to the "fake" one?
KJET 1590 was the original from back in the 80's. They were Modern Rock (what alternative was called back then). Mostly automated except for the morning show. Can't recall who hosted it, but it was a fun listen, and matched the offbeat nature of the station and format. They had great liners like , "we're putting all 5,000 watts behind this next song, so you can hear it nice and loud". Which of course didn't make sense. And "K-JET, where AM stands for All Modern". Low ratings did them in, eventually flipping to oldies as KOOL 1590 in late 1989.

Pick it up somewhat in Edmonds this morning. CBU-FM out of Vancouver is the more dominant station as you head back onto 99 and north.

What’s going to end up as the format on KJET? I’m going classic alternative of some form. KNDD used to be pretty gold-heavy, and 102.9 as well. The classic alternative format at least is semi-viable in western Washington…

KING-FM doesn't transmit from Queen Anne Hill.
I lived on both Queen Anne and Capital Hill during the 80's. In home FM listening was a nightmare due to the bleed over from the FM's transmitting from the top of both hills (Capital Hill was particularly bad). What really irked me was how badly it affected the signal of my favorite station at the time KEZX (98.9 FM). Did KING-FM, which came in great back then, used to have their tower on one of the hills?

I listened to KJET 1590 in Seattle during the days I was in another business, going between my stores, with my radio volume control on 11. At some point, the call letters were picked up by John Spencer and Brian Kelly for their Hoquiam station. There was a call letter swap, and I ended up with KJET, with the moniker "105-7 The Jet" which has been with the station since about 1999, until recently a Hot AC format. Since KJR-FM identifies as "The Jet", it was my tongue-in-cheek to identify as the real "KJET". Currently, KJET is simulcasting KANY, which is CHR.

I lived on both Queen Anne and Capital Hill during the 80's. In home FM listening was a nightmare due to the bleed over from the FM's transmitting from the top of both hills (Capital Hill was particularly bad). What really irked me was how badly it affected the signal of my favorite station at the time KEZX (98.9 FM). Did KING-FM, which came in great back then, used to have their tower on one of the hills?
Yes. They were up there on the hill with KING-TV when they were co-owned well after a lot of the FMs migrated to Tiger or Cougar

KING-FM has their primary on Tiger and the backup on Cougar. I’m sure the transmission gear at Queen Anne is long gone save for an antenna.

KJET 1590 wasn't much, an IGM Instacart that notoriously missed voicetrack cues and got out of synch with the rest of the playlist at least once daily. It was mono, had a crazy narrow bandwidth even ordinary, non-radio oriented listeners noticed. But after the demise of KYYX, it was a lifeline for Modern Rock fans who wanted to keep up with emerging new music.

Outside of a handful of Alternative-AOR crossovers and Sunday night shows, there wasn't much KISW and KXRX could do. KCMU was trying to impress everybody with John Cage and Diamanda Galas. KNHC had the Old Wavers and trendy Dance music, but not a whole lot of new Indie and College Rock.

And you had to pick up a good book and sit through Steely Dan, Phoebe Snow, Michael Tomlinson, Toni Childs, Crosby Stills & Nash, Steve Winwood, Matt Bianco, Joni Mitchell, George Winston, Uncle Bonsai and Lyle Lovett to get to a Roxy Music or Peter Gabriel song on KEZX (No "Sledgehammer", "Big Time" or "Shock The Monkey" either.)

KJET 1590's rated audience was small. But they were quite popular in the 1980s. Many members of Seattle's grunge bands listened to KJET.

And in another phenomena I've observed over the years; KJET 1590 was perhaps the most listener airchecked Seattle radio station of the 1980s. Over the years, various KJET tribute sites, tribute radio stations and aircheck sites have come and gone that hosted a lot of KJET aircheck tapes and I've heard KJET material ranging from their earliest days. With Rick Shannon (Rick Riley) voicetracking as The Unknown Announcer (1982) to their last goodbyes. From unlistenable (Certron LN-60/Soundesign) quality to the surprisingly good. Some of it is on one of my old hard drives.

So it wasn't just me and many I knew in high school and around Puget Sound doing this. And these were the ones who kept their KJET tapes and didn't re-record anything over them.

Why? Some tapes ended up in places of the country where there was no local Alternative rock station at the time, sent through snail mail by Seattle friends/relatives. KJET also played pre-release album cuts and imports and until listeners could buy the real thing, these lo-fi mono recordings carried them over. (In the days before streaming everything, people did what they had to do, the best that they could do it. AM or not.)

I believed then (and even more so now) that KZOK/SRO management back then didn't know what they had. But SRO were getting ready to sell KZOK/KJET and they probably thought an Oldies combo (with the relaunched Classic Rock KZOK and KJET becoming '50s-'60s KQUL) would look more corporate-buyer friendly.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1642490293350.jpg
    FB_IMG_1642490293350.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 6
KJET 1590 was the original from back in the 80's. They were Modern Rock (what alternative was called back then). Mostly automated except for the morning show. Can't recall who hosted it, but it was a fun listen, and matched the offbeat nature of the station and format. They had great liners like , "we're putting all 5,000 watts behind this next song, so you can hear it nice and loud". Which of course didn't make sense. And "K-JET, where AM stands for All Modern". Low ratings did them in, eventually flipping to oldies as KOOL 1590 in late 1989.
KJET call was on 1380 AM in Beaumont TX back in the 70s. It was a 1kw daytimer

Is CBU-FM in HD? If so, it would be interesting to see what happens in areas facing the open waters towards Victoria.
As far as I know, it isn't in HD.

CBU is not in HD. Canada is funny about how many HDs are allowed in a given market. CBC News (formerly branded as CBC1) has the HD allotment for Vancouver public radio. BTW, CBC2 is now branded as CBC Music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom