• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The pieces of the puzzle are fitting together

I would suspect that 93.5 is going to move in frequency and/or location before it's all said and done, but they had to get it back on the air before October 1 to keep the license alive.

Can't explain why they took 101.7 down. Maybe they needed to borrow something from it to get 93.5 back on?

If you look at the maps for 101.7/103.5, they both cover more ground than 93.5. K228DF has a really narrow directional pattern. But now that the clock has stopped ticking on license cancellation, they have time to contemplate what to do with it.

Yes Indeedy! Keeps the license alive while they file an STA to remain silent, then upgrade and return borrowed parts to 101~Seven. The Gremlin's horn may have better coverage than 93~Five!

We are all speculating about when (or if) 102.1 makes the move to the Bradshaws, but while no one was noticing, KVVA-FM got their construction permit to move to South Mountain as a C2 on KAET's tower with KDVA Buckeye moving to 106.7 (KPPV Prescott Valley would move to 106.9, but there is no application on file for that).

We are all speculating about when (or if) 102.1 makes the move to the Bradshaws, but while no one was noticing, KVVA-FM got their construction permit to move to South Mountain as a C2 on KAET's tower with KDVA Buckeye moving to 106.7 (KPPV Prescott Valley would move to 106.9, but there is no application on file for that).

KPPV has been fighting the frequency change tooth and nail.

Reimbursement amounts and having to scrap lots of "106.7"-labeled material. Some of the arguments are recapped in the grant letter: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/p...etimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=95476

I went through this with a multi-station reassignment of the Table of Allocations in Puerto Rico in the late 80's well into the 90's. One of the stations being moved was WPRM, Salsoul 98 which had that brand since the mid-70's. We had jingles, artist endorsements (some by artists who we retired or no longer alive), stickers, "perennial" TV ads with "98" in them; the new frequency made it "99".

The matter was important since Salsoul was the #1 station in market #11, with ratings greater than the next two stations combined.

Opposition was filed for similar reasons by several other stations, the applicant had to pay "reasonable costs" for all that as well as the cost of a new antenna, transmitter work and the like. The FCC approved most of it, but several stations sued in local courts for further relief. It took over a decade, couple with the fact that the applicant had little or no money and was trying to move the station from an offshore island to being a good San Juan rimshot.

I had an "encounter" with him at a PR Broadcasters Association meeting and we came very close to taking it to the street; I was VP of Salsoul and rather annoyed. Only a few friends restrained me!

KPPV has been fighting the frequency change tooth and nail.

I'm under the impression that the Cohen brothers (Sanford, who owns KPPV and a couple other Prescott-area stations, and Ron, who owns KFNN and KQFN in Phoenix) are not that close (correct me if I'm wrong), but I imagine that Sanford knows the trouble Ron has faced with moving his East Valley translator for KQFN so many times and having to spend money on new promotional materials, etc. And they still have problems with their East Valley translator, especially since K240DC on the White Tanks signed on last year. CRC doesn't have the money (Chapter 11 reorganization) or any open frequency to move again (the closest one might be 99.1, but John Low might still have something on that frequency). And they need to do so since they have the Sunday/Monday Night Football package, which should be a revenue generator (given the NFL continues without any more COVID-19 issues since KQFN's East Valley coverage on 1580 is virtually nonexistent).

Now, getting back to the whole Entravision vs. KPPV saga, I know Sanford wants to be reimbursed for the move, and that will probably happen. But what will Entravision do to meet his demands? It's happened before with other groups (Univision paying for 105.1 in Flagstaff to move to 97.1 so KHOV can reach the West Valley better). What makes it different this time around? The logo KPPV has doesn't look like it cost THAT much money.

If KPPV is to move to 106.9, that would also raise the question of where their translator K296GN, which is on 107.1 would move to. (KPPV-HD3 Spanish Hits)

Yes Indeedy! Keeps the license alive while they file an STA to remain silent, then upgrade and return borrowed parts to 101~Seven. The Gremlin's horn may have better coverage than 93~Five!

Just a radio nerd uneducated guess ;), but..maybe the reason why they took that 101.7 FM translator in Prescott that rebroadcasts KAHM off the air is bc they are planning on repurposing that translator for their regional mexican format...possibly using 101.7, 101.9 (the FM translator they own in Phoenix already broadcasting KNAI/the regional mexican format) and 102.1 in conjunction together. All three of those frequencies are in sequential order on the dial (101.7, 101.9, 102.1) and each one covers a different area. They might also use it to market the stations as a group (maybe refer to the trio as "102 FM" since all three of those frequencies lie around 102 MHz?).

Same tower, it's just that they're going to go into their own antenna 200 feet below KKFR instead of diplexing off KKFR's antenna. This will be cheaper to build; the application says that losses from COVID have made the original proposal too expensive.

Once this happens, I would expect the B/EZ to move to a HD-2 so the current lessee can serve Prescott and Campesina to go on the main channel. The translator for KNAI-AM can fill in the areas of the Spring Valley signal that won't hit Phoenix.

And there's this little tidbit, too, that was announced this morning. Maybe this is where KAHM's beautiful music format eventually lands (AM 1490 and 103.5 FM)?

Station Sales Week Of 2/19 - RadioInsight

Didn't the CC Foundation purchase 102.1/K269EE as well as KYCA 1490/
103.5 for $1.7 million??? $1 million sounds like a lot for KYCA/103.5????

Didn't the CC Foundation purchase 102.1/K269EE as well as KYCA 1490/
103.5 for $1.7 million??? $1 million sounds like a lot for KYCA/103.5????
Yup, and yup! Los Buckeye Boyz suspect the building that houses KYCA and KAHM, plus the real estate are part of the deal.

And there's this little tidbit, too, that was announced this morning. Maybe this is where KAHM's beautiful music format eventually lands (AM 1490 and 103.5 FM)?

Station Sales Week Of 2/19 - RadioInsight
In a town like Prescott, I would expect the programming on the AM to outbill the programming on the FM. The deal is seller financed with a balloon payment due in 5 years - those numbers can work if you don't screw with the revenue, and that means not screwing with the format.

KPPV has a CP to move to 106.9, so they must have made deal KVVA-FM to make the move. KPPV was fighting the move, but may have finally given up.
File Number:0000124846Submit Date:10/19/2020Call Sign:KPPVFacility ID:53414FRN:0008963506State:ArizonaCity:pRESCOTT VALLEYService:FMPurpose:Minor Modification BLH-19930204KBStatus:GrantedStatus Date:01/15/2021Expiration Date:01/15/2024Filing Status:Active

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom