• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Party is over

I wish I knew the songs played during that last hour! Or even better if someone was recording that. I looked back on their recently played song list and saw a few stunners I haven't heard in years (and I've been feverishly adding them to my Apple Music playlist). Was so surprised that I grabbed the screenshot -- Robert Miles - Children, Delerium - Silence (Tiesto remix), La Bouche - Be My Lover, Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta Get Through This, and my favorite throwback, Sonique - Feels so good. Was anything else played that you remember? I would love for some of the older Party songs to make it to the Power Orlando web stream -- there really isn't any reason not to do that now given the competitive space it's in.
I listened online the last day they were on. Listening to the 90's dance music on that day brought back some good memories. You can't forget "Take Me Away (XTC Come Hard Mix)" by Mix Factory...a side B cut!

Looking at the FCC app, it seems that the transfer is not approved yet. Also, there is no LMA on file. In other words, COX will not transfer the station till the FCC gives them their blessing.

I never thought of WODA being the "flagship" for reggaetón as it is way too Boricua for mainland tastes, as evidenced by comparing playlists.
Puerto Rico is the center hub for reggaetón much like New York, LA and Atlanta were for hip hop. I'm still surprised when Bad Bunny cranks out a verse in a Cardi B collab saying "c****n no te conocen en Plaza" which you would not understand unless you were an Islander.

Heck, you might get the reference "siempre con la zeta y no somos salseros"... ;)

Puerto Rico is the center hub for reggaetón much like New York, LA and Atlanta were for hip hop. I'm still surprised when Bad Bunny cranks out a verse in a Cardi B collab saying "c****n no te conocen en Plaza" which you would not understand unless you were an Islander.
Of course I would understand that he meant "Plaza Las Americas" where I bought my first color TV at J.C. Penny's in 1970. I also know that from "Barrio Obrero a la 15 un paso es" and was the creator of Z-93 in 1979 (actually 12/29/78 and 7:40 PM).

In any case, reggaetón which sprung from Panamá to PR is now pretty international with Colombia producing as many stars as Puerto Rico and the music being as big in Chile as it is in San Juan.
Heck, you might get the reference "siempre con la zeta y no somos salseros"... ;)
La zalza tiene una radio... Z-93.

Looking at the FCC app, it seems that the transfer is not approved yet. Also, there is no LMA on file. In other words, COX will not transfer the station till the FCC gives them their blessing.
If that's indeed the case, then cox should have waited and kept 95.3 as it was, then transferred when everything was ready. Now their losing any money they would have made on commercials for WPYO.

If that's indeed the case, then cox should have waited and kept 95.3 as it was, then transferred when everything was ready. Now their losing any money they would have made on commercials for WPYO.
Who is going to sell ads for a station that will be gone within days? With approval and closing potentially coming at any moment, the end of the first quarter was a perfect financial time to end Power's operations. At this point the value for Cox is trying to move all 95.3 listeners away before SBS takes over.

Who is going to sell ads for a station that will be gone within days? With approval and closing potentially coming at any moment, the end of the first quarter was a perfect financial time to end Power's operations. At this point the value for Cox is trying to move all 95.3 listeners away before SBS takes over.
Also… the situation in Tampa is different. They kept the original station “97x” on its original frequency telling the listeners to move to their hd2’s or their 97.5 translator. In Orlando I guess they are trying to protect Exitos 96.5 from a direct competitor.

Also… the situation in Tampa is different. They kept the original station “97x” on its original frequency telling the listeners to move to their hd2’s or their 97.5 translator. In Orlando I guess they are trying to protect Exitos 96.5 from a direct competitor.
They should have moved Party to 96.5. Cox is overconfident in their Spanish format, which they only have in one market.

In any case, reggaetón which sprung from Panamá to PR is now pretty international with Colombia producing as many stars as Puerto Rico and the music being as big in Chile as it is in San Juan.

La zalza tiene una radio... Z-93.

Reggeatón is a fusion of the Jamaican pounda beat + Hip Hop and Latin American rhythms and producers like DJ Nelson and DJ Playero were one the firsts to develop this sound in Carolina, Puerto Rico in the mid to late 1990's.

What the Panamanians were doing in the early to mid 1990's in particular is widely known as Reggae en Espanol or Spanish Reggae. They kept the original Jamaican Dance Hall beats, sped up the riddim and sang in Spanish. Often they would sing in Spanish over the popular Jamaican Dance Hall songs keeping the melody and the rhythms. Regardless it was popular in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, NYC and South Florida. Yet, it is not Reggaeton.

An example of Reggae Español:

An example of an early underdeveloped Reggaeton Track ( notice the different beat pattern, Techno keys and rapping/ singing style :

Reggeatón is a fusion of the Jamaican pounda beat + Hip Hop and Latin American rhythms and producers like DJ Nelson and DJ Playero were one the firsts to develop this sound in Carolina, Puerto Rico in the mid to late 1990's.
That is not true at all.

Just before 1990, Pichín Román did reggaetón videos all day on his UHF TV channel in San Juan. By that time there was not just enough music, there were enough videos to program the genre all day long.

The earliest songs, though, were from Panama, where artists like El Chombo, El General and JR Ranks were doing tracks in the mid 80's. It then spread to Puerto Rico and by around '89 to '90 Pichín had enough material to program on his TV channel locally. We are talking about pure reggaetón videos all day long.

We used to adjourn after work to a restaurant on Ave. rafael Cordero around the corner from Salsoul where they had that channel on in the bar, always. We came up with a formula where each video had to have at least two of these elements: guns, yachts, mamis, balcón en un departamento en el Condado o Isla Verde, a Mercedes. We'd bet on which elements would be in the next video.

A year or two later, Pichín's San Juan radio station went to an all reggaetón format under manager Jaime Bauzá.
What the Panamanians were doing in the early to mid 1990's in particular is widely known as Reggae en Espanol or Spanish Reggae. They kept the original Jamaican Dance Hall beats, sped up the riddim and sang in Spanish. Often they would sing in Spanish over the popular Jamaican Dance Hall songs keeping the melody and the rhythms. Regardless it was popular in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, NYC and South Florida. Yet, it is not Reggaeton.
Since the whole genre is derived from Jamaican beats and influenced by salsa (and not, really, hip hop which was not even played on the radio in PR in the late 80's or earlier 90's) it is obvious that as it developed it kept much of its Jamaican heritage as well as some of the rhythm from salsa and other Caribbean beats.
An example of Reggae Español:

An example of an early underdeveloped Reggaeton Track ( notice the different beat pattern, Techno keys and rapping/ singing style :

Every music form goes through stages of development.

I listened online the last day they were on. Listening to the 90's dance music on that day brought back some good memories. You can't forget "Take Me Away (XTC Come Hard Mix)" by Mix Factory...a side B cut!
Those DJ sets were on point, along with that 10am hour on that last day.
It would of been nice if they had that kind of freedom the whole time.
SBS loves to get people talking about their stations, so they should be very happy now.
The main reason I'm talking about 95.3FM is because of "Party" & what "Power" did that last day on-air.
I'm also interested in the technical engineering aspect of radio, as well as producing syndicated shows, which I have been doing independently myself, so I know a thing or two about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.
Even with all of this knowledge & real on-air experience, no radio station has hired me for anything paid yet, so I stay independent with no non-compete while keeping my integrity & enjoying my freedom (posting in this message board), until someone in charge of a radio station will take a serious look at what I have been doing as a labor of love since 2005.

If they rebrand to 103 JAMZ with a Hip-Hop (or urban) format, they would conflict with iHeart's WOWI in the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area, who already has the 103 JAMZ branding.

Found these comments ironic again today, as 102 JAMZ, the ORIGINAL 102 Jamz, WJHM Daytona Beach/Orlando (1988) had a itself a duplication a year later in 1989 by WJMH 102 Jamz in Greensboro NC. (Latter station still exists... Even has a Wikipedia article under the station name..)

Audacy launched another 102 Jams today again in San Francisco CA via KRBQ playing Classic Hip-hop.

Back to your normal thread ..

Byron

We're now 3 full weeks into the (temporary?) WDBO full power FM simulcast. WPYO's last book as a chr (overall ratings) shows them at 2.4, a drop from February's 3.1. They are tied with a translator of an HD subchannel (WTKS HD2) and WMFE.

We're now 3 full weeks into the (temporary?) WDBO full power FM simulcast. WPYO's last book as a chr (overall ratings) shows them at 2.4, a drop from February's 3.1. They are tied with a translator of an HD subchannel (WTKS HD2) and WMFE.
The sale was approved by the FCC on 4/20. So… any minute now.

The sale was approved by the FCC on 4/20. So… any minute now.
Over on the Tampa board there's a post saying that the other station formally owned by cox 97.1 WSUN which is still playing their alt rock format (but is letting people know the format will continue on a translator & HD subchannel) is now saying 97.1 will flip on April 27 at 12:00PM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom