• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The new KROI/KTHT changes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the station live and local? Is its playlist locally generated or does the station just do local segments amid a set playlist coming in from somewhere else? If the answer to these questions is negative, I wouldn't be surprised if the last song has no relevance and the on-air talent says nothing.
A piece of me would love to be the one to cue up Hank Jr.'s "Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound" as the send off. It does have an on air staff which includes market veteran Scott Sparks in mornings, and Corey Dillon in afternoon drive. Other than that, it's a jukebox.

Personally, the biggest loss in all of this is that "Rowdy Yates" will be off the Houston dial once again.

A piece of me would love to be the one to cue up Hank Jr.'s "Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound" as the send off. It does have an on air staff which includes market veteran Scott Sparks in mornings, and Corey Dillon in afternoon drive. Other than that, it's a jukebox.

Personally, the biggest loss in all of this is that "Rowdy Yates" will be off the Houston dial once again.
I’m pretty sure the day parts with jocks are all voice tracked. Either that, or they’re really good at always hitting the post every single break.

We should qualify that. If you are using a $10 clock radio in Fort Bend County, then you will have trouble hearing 97.1. However in the car the signal does quite well on the SW side.

The reality is, if you use that $10 clock radio frequently and live in Ft. Bend County, you're probably not going to listen to 97.1 much in the car either. Maybe PPM has shown a change in listening habits that previously didn’t get reported in the diary era, but I don’t recall fringe listening going up, at least not significantly, since it came into existence.

From the perspective of the buyer, that point, however, is moot because it pays by how many people live inside the city grade signal contour. It's not paying for people in Ft. Bend County.

Are you looking at the right map for KXXF? FCCData.org has this, which shows Beaumont and Port Arthur within the 60dbu:
https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KX...=&lmspl=&party_type=LICEN&latd=&lond=&lang=en

FCCData.org map for KTHT, which shows overlap:
https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KT...=&lmspl=&party_type=LICEN&latd=&lond=&lang=en

Not sure what you were looking at…🤔😐
I'm looking at a paid data service which, looking at other sources, is wrong. It shows a site on the Bolivar Peninsula, not near Winnie.

Still, using the FCCData maps, the overlap is not considerable when you look at the 65 dbu contours. Fixed location listening is 80% in the 70 dbu area and 95% in the 65 dbu contour.

The reality is, if you use that $10 clock radio frequently and live in Ft. Bend County, you're probably not going to listen to 97.1 much in the car either. Maybe PPM has shown a change in listening habits that previously didn’t get reported in the diary era, but I don’t recall fringe listening going up, at least not significantly, since it came into existence.
No change in PPM as to weak signals. At home listening is 95% inside the 65 dbu signal of FMs, and the EMF stations tend to have more home listening than most other formats.

When we had the diary, which separated "away" into in-car and at-work, we saw the same data for work listening.

More than half of all listening is not in the car.

I'm looking at a paid data service which, looking at other sources, is wrong. It shows a site on the Bolivar Peninsula, not near Winnie.
That paid data service may have extremely out of date information, based on the original transmitter location of the station.

Remember that KXXF 105.3 is directly descended from what was originally Class A KRTX 104.9 in Galveston, which launched in the mid 1980s. Been through a few calls and formats…it was once part of a trimulcast with the 100kw KLTN signal then on 93.3 (now KQBU) and two Class A‘s on 104.9 (the other in Rosenberg.) It was also home to the “Party” format which has bounced around the dial in Houston.

The upgrade to Class C2 and move to 105.3 was part of another upgrade/move-in process for what is now KAMA. The transmitter site (which indeed may have originally been on the Bolivar Peninsula, don’t recall🤔) was moved to its present site near Winnie. At that time it was running the Party format, IIRC.

I do remember that the original KRTX used “The Wave” branding in the late 1980s when it ran a New Age format. I believe they applied for, but apparently never used, the KGWV call...it was the first station to try such a format here. The signal would make it into NW Harris County when tropo was kicking up and the co-channel Rosenberg station (then KFRD-FM) signed off for overnights.

Getting off topic, but that might explain the incorrect map you saw.

It probably won't be anything special. They'll just cut off in the middle of one song and then go straight to whatever is playing on the national feed.
SBS does not do national format feeds. For Regional Mexican formats, each is customized for the market and its competitors. The only significant “syndication” is the Alex Sensation show out of Mega in New York and some shows from Puerto Rico on the Orlando station where the target is 100% Puertorican.

I still want to capture it. Even if it’s like 30 minutes of dead air
When EMF took over 105.3 KXXF, the station had been off the air earlier in the day iirc ...it came back around midnight with KLOVE on...One person joked that the station should played ACDC's"Highway to hell" as the last song lol

When EMF took over 105.3 KXXF, the station had been off the air earlier in the day iirc ...it came back around midnight with KLOVE on...One person joked that the station should played ACDC's"Highway to hell" as the last song lol
That song -- along with others with Satanic or anti-religious themes -- were indeed played at classic rock WCCC Hartford, whose outgoing management allowed its on-air talent to hold one final live farewell party, picking their own songs to play. David has said here before that this nearly caused EMF to put the kibosh on the whole deal.

SBS does not do national format feeds. For Regional Mexican formats, each is customized for the market and its competitors. The only significant “syndication” is the Alex Sensation show out of Mega in New York and some shows from Puerto Rico on the Orlando station where the target is 100% Puertorican.
El Terrible is syndicated from LA to Chicago and San Francisco.

The aforementioned Despelote is also syndicated to Tampa Bay. Molusco no longer is, though.

El Terrible is syndicated from LA to Chicago and San Francisco.

The aforementioned Despelote is also syndicated to Tampa Bay. Molusco no longer is, though.
As I said, they do not distribute formats, just some shows. There have been others over recent years. I did not list them all as the point is that they do not network formats, just shows. We could go back years when they used to run Betty Pino on their LA FM, then called KSKQ-FM or a certain Sunday salsa show with Polito Vega on KSKQ (AM). They have been doing that kind of show networking for over 3 decades.

I would like to know and try recording it
I came here looking for the answer to this. I’d like to record the final hour and format change. My thinking is if KTHT changes hands on Monday it would happen at midnight Sunday and we would hear some kind of switchover. Because after all Radio One is no longer able to program the station after the sale closes

Last edited:
We're talking about KTHT. Not KROI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom