• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The new KROI/KTHT changes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, we aren't 100% sure If KROI will be going to SBS. That's still very much up in the air.
I don't think the sale is in jeopardy. They used other financing to buy the two Florida stations, and can likely extend it to Houston, particularly given the immediate success in ratings of the two new FL stations.

I don't think the sale is in jeopardy. They used other financing to buy the two Florida stations, and can likely extend it to Houston, particularly given the immediate success in ratings of the two new FL stations.
Jeopardy might be too strong a word for the sale, but it was mentioned that the Voz Media deal would need to go through first, in order to secure enough cash to acquire 92.1. Maybe I simply misinterpreted.

And that one was not a ratings failure. It was the old Y-96 (which for a while I programmed), which tried an all-Dominican format. It got good ratings, but the ad agencies and their clients had a perception and a prejudice: a feeling that Dominicans did not have purchasing power and a prejudice in general, pervasive in Puerto Rico, against Dominicans.
I know, Rítmo was in the top 10. I genuinely wish that ad agencies gave it a try.

I know, Rítmo was in the top 10. I genuinely wish that ad agencies gave it a try.
There is a very strong resentment to Dominican immigrants in many sectors of the Island population. Doing anything that would seem to be supportive of those immigrants, nearly all of whom are illegal and arrived via "Aéro Yola", would be seen with disfavor. Even advertising on a Dominican targeted radio station could be seen as negative.

There is a very strong resentment to Dominican immigrants in many sectors of the Island population. Doing anything that would seem to be supportive of those immigrants, nearly all of whom are illegal and arrived via "Aéro Yola", would be seen with disfavor. Even advertising on a Dominican targeted radio station could be seen as negative.
Oh. I see why now.

That paid data service may have extremely out of date information, based on the original transmitter location of the station.

Remember that KXXF 105.3 is directly descended from what was originally Class A KRTX 104.9 in Galveston, which launched in the mid 1980s.
I believe thw transmitter site was actually a free-standing tower in Crystal Beach. Prior to the move to Winnie.
It was also home to the “Party” format which has bounced around the dial in Houston.
Houston't Premiere Tejano Party Station, KHTW 1300. The only problem is, since they never aired Tejano music in Houston, or anyehere else for that matter, where is the party?
At that time it was running the Party format, IIRC.

Oh. I see why now.
Even when I was doing Salsoul in Puerto Rico, I got kidded about being involved with reformatting Z-100 in Santo Domingo and creating and training "El Gobierno de la Mañana". I go lots of people saying "Ay, no. Yo no se, no" to me for being involved with a Dominican station.

If you are referring to "Estereotempo", that was not a "failed station". Its network was in the top 3 or 4 stations from the earlier 80's well into the 2000's when new ownership decided they needed a refresh and, in the process, killed it.
I am talking about Ritmo 96.5, the format that attracted PR's Dominican audiences but soon realized that they were not saleable.

Estereotempo has returned to the 96.5 and now has a translator in the West Coast, not enough to cover the Island, but an improvement.

And that one was not a ratings failure. It was the old Y-96 (which for a while I programmed), which tried an all-Dominican format. It got good ratings, but the ad agencies and their clients had a perception and a prejudice: a feeling that Dominicans did not have purchasing power and a prejudice in general, pervasive in Puerto Rico, against Dominicans.
And SBS programs extremely well to. Dominicans, as the success of WSKQ attests.

Why do groups who don’t have money try to buy others stations?
Why do people with no money take out mortgages for four and five times or more of their annual income?

And SBS programs extremely well to. Dominicans, as the success of WSKQ attests.
Aided by the fact that Nielsen samples Dominicans nearly three to one out of proportion with their actual population in New York's survey area.

I’ve been asking the same questions for years
There is an answer to both stations and houses:

Buy a house on a 30-year plan and pay less in rent, particularly as years go by. And you can decorate, remodel and modify at will.

Buy a station on a commercial loan: you can pay, let's say, 7% interest. You can make a 20% ROI on the purchase price. You pay the loan down every year, and you have made a greater profit than the interest expense every year, and in the end the property is yours.

Obviously, if you lose your job, you may not be able to pay the mortgage. If the station gets bad ratings, you don't make a profit to pay the loan.

You drive your car and you might have an accident. Life is full of calculated risks.

Houston't Premiere Tejano Party Station, KHTW 1300. The only problem is, since they never aired Tejano music in Houston, or anyehere else for that matter, where is the party?
The Party format which bounced amongst 104.9, 93.3, 100.7 and 105.3 had nothing to do with anything KHTW might have aired.

The Party format which bounced amongst 104.9, 93.3, 100.7 and 105.3 had nothing to do with anything KHTW might have aired.
The one thing that all of these properties have in common is Univision, and Univision brought the party to the Uforia Lounge. Of course, KHTW 1300 is still Houston's Premiere Tejano Party Station, according to their current promotion, even though I listened to the station this afternoon and heard no sign of the Tejano Party. Maybe there is no party on Sundays.

Maybe there is no party on Sundays.
There's a party on 1300. Every hour of each and every day. It's called republican.

So I've been told. I'd be remiss if I did not mention that 1300 has had more time spent on this board discussing it, than the actual time it has broadcast ANYTHING in the last 15 years.

By far.

If there was ever a facility more suited for license cancelation, I'd rather not know of its existence.

There's a party on 1300. Every hour of each and every day. It's called republican.

So I've been told. I'd be remiss if I did not mention that 1300 has had more time spent on this board discussing it, than the actual time it has broadcast ANYTHING in the last 15 years.

By far.

If there was ever a facility more suited for license cancelation, I'd rather not know of its existence.
I agree. However, that ship has sailed, and it ppears now to be in compliance with its license authorization, and by your own admission, airing quality programming of interest to its community of license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom