• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The New Hot 93.3

I could be wrong... Or maybe it is just that I live under a rock or I have been spending most of my time on SiriusXM. Anyway, I thought 93.3 switched to Classic Hip Hop last November then to Urban to compete with K104 and KBFB "The Beat". When did they flip again? Now they seem to be leaning dance with some pop remixes. I am hearing Taio Cruz, Tove Lo, Skrillex, Far East Movement, Fall Out Boy, David Guetta, Omi, The Weekend, Gwen Stefani, Britney, P!nk... etc.

I'm not sure the exact date of the flip, but it was fairly recently. The liners and sweepers sound the same, but the format is definitely different.

I believe the flip happened at the same time they started the "10 songs in a row or we pay you $1000" contest. (So 1990's!)

To me, they're just trying to sound like KISS FM again, and I don't understand why!

A nice hits and throwbacks of the mass appeal chr rhythmic variety would be the best bet for this station. Kiss is very strong and this station doesn't have a full market signal to compete, therefore you need to do something unique, something that evokes passion.

There is a difference between the boom throwback stations and then the less urban more rhythmic mass appeal kind. So there are plenty of songs to play that you will own. Also there is only one chr in the market so you can cherry pick the biggest hits of right now to play along side the throwbacks(Major Lazer, Weeknd, Omi, 5th Harmony etc).

All the best mass appeal rhythmic cuts from the past 25 years, this market is ripe for it IF you do it right. I think you can get #2-#5 females 18-49 if you play the right music and keep it sounding fresh and fun with the music flowing, not all these music stopping promos between the songs, quick imaging and jocks that are quick witted and can get out their complete thoughts over the intros outside morning drive. I do some type of mixing in the mornings, morning show that is fairly music intensive.

Looks like they're tossing in some money to the station as they've added jingles. (I think they are from TM, but not entirely sure.)

Still sounds like KISS FM, though!

As crazy as it sounds, going after KISS FM is not a bad idea. You says KISS is #1, have been for years and years and has full market coverage. You're right. KLIF is not a full market station. Right again. If KLIF can fight for the KISS listener in their primary coverage, maybe they can score a percentage of KISS listeners. If KISS had half it's share, it would still be a dominant station. If KLIF could get a 2.5 or a 3, they might wrestle some more revenue and if KISS saw ratings drop a point or two, it could work out well for KLIF. KLIF knows they can never destroy KISS but if they can knock them down a notch or two, the whole agency buy thing begins to transform, especially if there are new KLIF coverts from KISS. For KLIF, they don't need it all, just a little. If KLIF wasn't in the format, where might KISS be right now? How many dollars now going to other stations would not be had if KISS gained another 2 points in the ratings?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom