• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The move of the KSPN 710 transmitter site 19 months ago ... Observation

I'm not privy to the plans for ownership or development of the property near Coldwater Cyn. and Burbank Boulevards, the fmr. AM 710 transmission plant. By now some changes on the property should be evident to passersby. Instead there is zero change in outside appearance. The grass is mowed, fence in good condition, three towers still up, tuning shack looks good, FAA tower lights still flashing away. Things usually move pretty fast around here, but not in this case, 19 months. Anyone know something?

I toured this building during kmpcs station of the stars era..early 1960s. Inside were framed photographs of dick whittinghill ira cook johnny grant, roger carroll, gary owens and pete smith. The brick building was white stucco with a neon sign k m p c above the front door. No locked gate, anyone could drive up. There were at least two engineers on duty, a back up deejay booth, and even living quarters for at least one engineer. The engineers were friendly and liked visitors. The old building i described is long demolished replaced by a smaller unmanned structure. All that remains from my visit is the three antennas. Its on corner of bellaire and burbank blvd in north hollywood.

I toured this building during kmpcs station of the stars era..early 1960s. Inside were framed photographs of dick whittinghill ira cook johnny grant, roger carroll, gary owens and pete smith. The brick building was white stucco with a neon sign k m p c above the front door. No locked gate, anyone could drive up. There were at least two engineers on duty, a back up deejay booth, and even living quarters for at least one engineer. The engineers were friendly and liked visitors. The old building i described is long demolished replaced by a smaller unmanned structure. All that remains from my visit is the three antennas. Its on corner of bellaire and burbank blvd in north hollywood.
Wow!

The building was swapped out sometime around 2008-2010 with the new building built to the left as you enter from the street of the old one. An altered version of the old shack was featured in the movie Mars Attacks, toward the ending of the film, in the Mid-1990's. I seem to remember all red brick, circ 1970's.

Wow!

The building was swapped out sometime around 2008-2010 with the new building built to the left as you enter from the street of the old one. An altered version of the old shack was featured in the movie Mars Attacks, toward the ending of the film, in the Mid-1990's. I seem to remember all red brick, circ 1970's.
Goo google search on the internet under kmpc transmitter for several color pix of the outside and inside of the legendary building.roger carroll once told me he had to jock a shift in that building due to a snafu at the hollywood studio.

Wow!

Things just keep changing, the Burbank Blvd and Bellaire ave corner is actually now in "Valley Village".

A bit of trivia, the KMPC 710 Bldg and towers were used for a few seconds in one of the Kirk Alyn "Atom Man vs. Superman" episodes. The little bldg and associated towers were represented as Lex Luthor's TV station! This was in 1950.

Things just keep changing, the Burbank Blvd and Bellaire ave corner is actually now in "Valley Village".
But like West Toluca Lake, North Hollywood and even Hollywood itself, those are names for neighborhoods in Los Angeles, not separate cities.

But like West Toluca Lake, North Hollywood and even Hollywood itself, those are names for neighborhoods in Los Angeles, not separate cities.
Indeed, I grew up in “West Van Nuys” it’s now known as “Lake Balboa” ! And decades past the lake and the surrounding park were considered part of Encino !

I'm not privy to the plans for ownership or development of the property near Coldwater Cyn. and Burbank Boulevards, the fmr. AM 710 transmission plant. By now some changes on the property should be evident to passersby. Instead there is zero change in outside appearance. The grass is mowed, fence in good condition, three towers still up, tuning shack looks good, FAA tower lights still flashing away. Things usually move pretty fast around here, but not in this case, 19 months. Anyone know something?
I think I mentioned this on a different thread a long time ago, but many years ago I wanted to “test” 710’s night pattern. I disconnected my car radio’s antenna on Burbank Blvd right next to their bldg. The signal was still very strong. I proceeded to drive around the block and as expected there was near complete cancellation at the north end of the array, I had turned up the volume of my radio so I could still detect some modulation and made the mistake of reconnecting the antenna and almost blew out my eardrums !

Back
Top Bottom