• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The most trashed FM signal I've ever seen, spanning 800+ kHz...how does this happen?

There could be something wrong, probably not 800kHz worth. But just remember, you're making an assumption based on what amounts to measurements with a toy. All of your other claims using this SDR against stations have been wrong, so not sure why you think this is anything different.

It likely isn't.
My apologies. I post these because I think that it's interesting, not because I think I know everything. You're right that these SDRs have their limitations and can't compare with a spectrum analyzer, but that doesn't make them simply a toy. I believe that this is within those limitations and can be further ruled out by reproducing the same results across four different radio receivers. Regardless, I posted this to ask questions rather than trying to prove anything.

My apologies. I post these because I think that it's interesting, not because I think I know everything. You're right that these SDRs have their limitations and can't compare with a spectrum analyzer, but that doesn't make them simply a toy. I believe that this is within those limitations and can be further ruled out by reproducing the same results across four different radio receivers. Regardless, I posted this to ask questions rather than trying to prove anything.
I understand, and applaud your interest in the subject. My concern about posting what could be considered accusations toward any of the stations you monitor, then posting about it here; is many times there may be what could be termed as 'vigilante lurkers' who see such a post, then take it upon themselves to send such accusations to the FCC. Obviously that's their right, but if the assumption is based with flawed data to start with, investigations might be started which cost the government and that station, unwarranted hassle and expense. I'm confident you wouldn't intend on getting a station into unwarranted trouble, but for whatever the reason, there are those among us who get their kicks from stirring s*it based on an online post.

Over the many years I've been in the business, there's been a code of ethics between broadcasters. If one broadcaster sees a technical issue with another station, even a competitor, you bring it to the attention to their technical department directly, not publicly via some form of social media, and certainly not via the FCC. That gives the station an opportunity to investigate, and potentially correct the matter in a timely manner. It also eliminates the need for governmental investigations and potentially lawyer costs to the station. I can't count the many times I've even offered to take test equipment and tools over to a competitor, then helping them correct a problem. Obviously, if the station completely refuses to correct the issue, and the technical problem is affecting one of my stations, I'll report them. But that's absolutely the last resort.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, that is really fascinating! I had checked my SDRs and car ~1 PM this afternoon and still saw the distortion but checking now and it's all well. Any chance you could elaborate on what happened? I'm just curious and really respect your work.
lt was a failure of an optional board in the transmitter, causing issues with an external composite audio input. Like I said, I've never seen a failure mode quite like this!

--Shane

I can't count the many times I've even offered to take test equipment and tools over to a competitor, then helping them correct a problem. Obviously, if the station completely refuses to correct the issue, and the technical problem is affecting one of my stations, I'll report them. But that's absolutely the last resort.
I've been in two situations where a competitor lost their studios... once due to a fire, the other due to overnight robbery.

When local San Juan broadcasters heard about the fire, there was a lot of calling between us, and we rounded up a console, cart machines, a tape deck, mikes, an older leveling device, even a tube model STL transmitter and remote control. We each found something at least, and then we all gave 20 to 30 carts apiece, and started arriving at a temporary location for the station in a vacant store right next door. The owner was a good engineer and together we put it all together in about 12 hours and got the station back withing about 20 hours of the fire... even the record promoters had come by with a whole new library.

In Quito, a station just 10 or 12 blocks from my group was robbed and vandalized. When I heard they were off the air, I called the owner and said they could use one of our production rooms while they built a temporary studio. Within hours they had stung telephone wire on the electric posts from their location to mine and were back on the air.

Over the years, I have heard many similar stories of broadcasters who normally fought intense competitive battles joining forces to help a competitor who was knocked off the air. And the stories of engineers loaning a tube (remember those?) or a piece of gear after a lightning hit are too many to tell.

I wonder if today in consolidated markets if engineers would come to the aid of competitors. I think many would fear that "corporate won't understand" and do nothing. Or, "screw them, they have 6 other stations so let them borrow their own gear".

I wonder if today in consolidated markets if engineers would come to the aid of competitors. I think many would fear that "corporate won't understand" and do nothing. Or, "screw them, they have 6 other stations so let them borrow their own gear".
Especially true when there's only one engineer looking after at a major market cluster. Conceptually they're already over-worked. The last thing they would want, is to spend what little downtime, helping a competitor.

That, or for some markets that have forced that one individual off the payroll to contractor status. I've heard that even some of those examples were required to sign some form of agreement requiring that their stations take priority over any other. Talk about a slap in the face; lose benefits, probably take a pay cut, and are contractually tied to the same station(s) anyway.

I've been in two situations where a competitor lost their studios... once due to a fire, the other due to overnight robbery.

Back in 2020, Townsquare's 2 station cluster in Laramie, WY had a pipe burst overnight that went to the bathroom, but it passed right over the AM transmitter room and FM studio. They were off the air completely on both stations for 2 days, the FM got back on the air form the tower site in another day... the AM Was off the air for 2-3 weeks.

My owner at KLMI made them two offers..... you can bring your automation computer to our place and put it in the production room and/or you can send your clients over here to record their spots until you get back up and running.

They needed need to take us up on the offer, but we offered anyways.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom