• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Mix 96.9 Enigma

Greetings!

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I was scanning the dial and stumbled upon Fun.'s "We Are Young." My first thought was "Well, someone's gotta play them now that X is axed." To my chagrin, it was Mix 96.9!

The very next song was Blink 182's 1999/200 classic, "All The Small Things."

It was then that my curiosity piqued and I decided to write down the next few songs.

-------------------------------------------------------
KMXP 1:33-2:25 P.M. March 10, 2012

We Are Young- Fun.

All the Small Things- Blink 182

Call Me When You're Sober- Evanescence

--Commercial Break 1:42-1:48--

Good Life- One Republic

One Thing- Finger Eleven

Maroon 5- Misery

Iris- Goo Goo Dolls

LEGAL ID

Teenage Dream- Katy Perry

No Surprise- Daughtry

Stay Awhile- Ryan Starr

Sweet Child O' Mine- Guns N' Roses

Viva La Vida- Coldplay

--Commercial Break--

---------------------------------------------------

Seven of those twelve songs have been heard on "Alternative"-branded stations. And with one exception, all the artists featured play their own instruments and classify themselves as a "band." That being said, Only ONE pop song the whole hour? For a MIX station?

It might seem like they are attempting to close the gap and fill at least some of the void left by the dearly departed X103.9, however Mix has slowly been leaning more "rock" orientated for quite some time, months before there was even a hint of a change at X.

How long until 96.9 cans the Katy Perrys and Kelly Clarksons for the Marcus Mumfords and Mark Fosters?

I agree that MIX969 has always leaned alternative, even back in the late 90s and early 2000s, when KZON was still alt-rock. It was never all that comparable to other cities' "mix" station, which rely heavily on female artists.

Frequency Breakdown said:
We Are Young- Fun.

It might seem like they are attempting to close the gap and fill at least some of the void left by the dearly departed X103.9, however Mix has slowly been leaning more "rock" orientated for quite some time, months before there was even a hint of a change at X.

How long until 96.9 cans the Katy Perrys and Kelly Clarksons for the Marcus Mumfords and Mark Fosters?
Wishful thinking, my friend. "We Are Young" is getting played because it was in a popular SuperBowl commercial and fun. is on a major label subsidiary (that they're a local band-via-New York is secondary: will Mix 96.9 be playing Miniature Tigures, too? Doubtful.) Mix 96.9 is what they play at Great Clips and at doctor's office waiting rooms because it's cheaper than paying for Muzak or Sirius/XM. "Misery" is right. I'll stick with KWSS-LP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom