• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The KOY Time Capsule Is Open

Pre D-backs, KTAR was the home of the Dodgers for Phoenix. And KOY had its sister FM station, easy listening KQYT (Quiet FM), who advertised just as much as KOY.

Source for that? I remember KXIV as being home of the Phoenix Giants, all 140 games per season. (It actually worked for me as a kid, as I could wake up the next summer morning -- after a night game -- and stay on the Jim Spero morning show.)
It was during the 1970s. Al McCoy won a few National Sports Media Association awards during that time for his Suns broadcasts.

I woke up in Buckeye singing fifty-five Phoenix to the tune of We'll Take Manhattan. How did I get here?
...in a '76 Gremlin, but of course.

Merry Fezmas from Nurse Jeff and me.

Ah, a billboard designed by someone who understood the medium. Short, direct message that could be read and understood a few seconds while driving by.

Yesterday I drove by 30 billboards on the I-10. There were 3 that had such a clear message... the rest too much text or too "busy" to read.

I listened the other day to some 70's CHR unedited airchecks. What amazed me was the number of entertaining commercials, either jingles that were catchy or rather fun dialogue. Today it seems they are all "If you have been abused by persons of authority.... dial 1-800-Sue-Them." I wonder if much of the annoyance with commercials today is due to the horribly un-creative use of audio.

Both industries have lost sight of what works. Billboards are "your business in big flaming letters alongside the road." It's like the sign outside your business, only bigger. If you owned a restaurant, you wouldn't put the entire menu on the sign...just the name/slogan and the "hook."

Radio? One of the smarter people in the business described good content (including imaging and spots) like this: "You need to make them stop and look at their radio." Catchy, creative, outrageous, or just different. Now it seems that it's all by "beat them over the head until they buy your product."

I think a lot of that has to do with numbers-driven "just get the business on the books" management. Coming up with a catchy, creative, outrageous or different ad campaign takes talent (of course), but it also takes time. Time to craft the message. Time for it to work. A good sales person sold not just "I can get you X number of spots for X dollars next week," but "trust us to come up with something that will make your business memorable and build it for the long term."

It was always a struggle to get the good stuff on the air, but when you did, it worked. Now the sales teams seem to be driven by "you've got how much money? Great. Send us your spots where you shout at the audience and we'll get them played as often as possible."

Then the client eventually leaves because "radio doesn't work."

Anyway, I stepped on that time capsule many times walking into 840. Glad to see at least someone still cared enough to open it up.

^---- Yeah, that.

And radio people wonder why listeners are abandoning their dying medium in droves?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom