• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The January Ratings Are In!

A few highlights from the January 2013 books: WWJ is #1(8.3), WOMC near a 7 share(6.7), 96.3 is #4 with a 6.1 share. WNIC and 105.1 had a nice January. It could be time for panic if you program AMP, 106.7 The D, and as much as it pains me to say it...89x. Losing Dave and Chuck seems to have hurt them big time. If you caught the ratings, I hope I left something for you to comment on.

1. Another dominant regular book for CBS, even though YCD is #3 instead of its usual 1-2 spot and WWJ and OMC have stepped in for top honors.
2. Speaking of CBS, The Ticket is all the way down to 9th, when was the last time this happened (how did it get passed over by that many stations)? Then again, I'd expect it since I hear more Pistons talk than Wings talk.
3. While Fresh experienced it's usual post-Holiday drop, I'm surprised it hasn't fallen out of the top 10, per usual.
4. In the Holiday book discussion, I said that we should wait for this book to see how Amp, D, and X are actually doing, since Xmas throws everything out of whack. Well, it seems both Amp and D are off a little bit from their pre-Holiday books, but have at least recovered some shares. 89x is continuing its slide as its lost about 40% of its share since Dave and Chuck left. It will be interesting to see if 89x makes any further changes and what happens if The D picks up DCTF.
5. Oh, and welcome back to the top 10, Channel.

The drop for 1270 was more than I expected, but since the Wings are airing there frequently, look for that number to rise next month.

I see WDFN flipping to a Talk format soon. They'll still clear FSR in certain Dayparts.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us introduce to you the new #1 station 25-54: WDVD. The station had a monster book and is over two-and-a-half shares bulkier than it was a year ago.

The WDVD road show continued 18-49 as the station had another "best" book to move up to #1 with a number that is almost three shares heavier than the one it owned a year ago.

Major events were unfolding in 18-34 as there was a tie atop the leader board. CCM+E Urban AC WJLB and WDVD both scored huge numbers, their best in over a year.

jason1589 said:
Ladies and gentlemen, let us introduce to you the new #1 station 25-54: WDVD. The station had a monster book and is over two-and-a-half shares bulkier than it was a year ago.

The WDVD road show continued 18-49 as the station had another "best" book to move up to #1 with a number that is almost three shares heavier than the one it owned a year ago.

Major events were unfolding in 18-34 as there was a tie atop the leader board. CCM+E Urban AC WJLB and WDVD both scored huge numbers, their best in over a year.
It amazes me how well WDVD does in the ratings considering their music limitations, and a few of the personalities that they let go(Scott Vertical is one that comes to mind).

A few thoughts...

1) What happened to Black Radio? In the top 10, the only station aimed at the African-American audience is WMXD, at #5. WJLB, WGPR and WDMK are nearby but out of the 10. Didn't Detroit used to have two or three giant Black stations?

2) What happened to Soft AC? WMGC drops to #14. When WNIC was Soft AC, they were always near the top. Now they and WDVD are both Hot AC and both are in the top 10. But isn't Hot AC too youthful and uptempo for most offices and other workplaces? In NYC, WLTW is #1. In LA, KOST is #3. Don't working people in Detroit need unobtrusive music?

3) WJR is bucking the trend of mostly syndicated Conservative Talk doing poorly. They're #6. Contrast that with other Cumulus Talk stations, like WABC NYC #14 or KABC LA #33.

4) Bad weather boosts All-News stations. A tough Detroit winter puts WWJ one-and-a-half points of the #2 station.

5) It's a rough world for Rock stations. Classic Rock WCSX stays in the top 10. But WRIF is #13, WDTW is #18 and CIMX is #20. In many markets, young men listen to their own personal media for their own genre of Rock. Then when they tune in the radio, it's to Sports stations.

WNIC is not a hot ac anymore. They are 100% AC.

Impressive numbers for WDVD. Clear Channel should flip 106.7 t Hot Ac to attack WDVD. They can protect wkqi on key age groups this way and help WJLB be no1 on 18-34.

Did they try that before with WNIC as Fresh 100.3? If I remember right that along with 106.7 The Beat was cancelling out themselves along with Channel 955.

4) Bad weather boosts All-News stations. A tough Detroit winter puts WWJ one-and-a-half points of the #2 station.

True, but these numbers are massive for WWJ compared to any book of the last ten years.

Four things helped them, in my opinion:
--Local politics
--Winter weather
--U-M basketball (Pistons suck, no Wings, U-M was on fire in January)
--Joe Donovan's exit. I would *love* to see the morning daypart numbers. Greg Bowman is so much easier on the ears. Hiring Tom Jordan from San Diego is a questionable move. If the pairing of Greg & Roberta is pulling massive ratings, why change?

Clear Channel should flip 106.7 t Hot Ac to attack WDVD. They can protect wkqi on key age groups this way and help WJLB be no1 on 18-34.

WJLB is considered an Urban buy, not a "P18-34" buy. 94% of WJLB's audience is African American. 87% of WKQI's audience is Caucasian.

Also, WJLB's listenership might not be as heavily concentrated in the 18-34 cell as you may think, although they undoubtedly are a very popular station with African Americans in that age group. The station does well in P35-44 and even P45-54! Their numbers are remarkably consistent from the 18-24 cell all the way to the 45-54 cell; only a slight skew exists in favor of the younger ages.

Marv is correct. Clear Channel was clustered too tightly with WKQI as CHR, WNIC as Hot AC, and WDTW-FM as Rythmic Hot AC (they actually reported to the CHR/Pop panel for a time). As CHR drifted away from Urban/hip-hop, the duplication problem between WKQI and WDTW-FM was only going to worsen. CC was also missing the boat completely on male demo buys. That certainly explains why 106.7 flipped to Classic Rock.

Best way for Clear Channel to defend against the WDVD juggernaut is to make both WKQI and WNIC strong brands with strong content. If they cannot get the job done with these two stations, they aren't going to get the job done -- period. WNIC's music position sits right on the border between Hot AC and Mainstream AC. With WKQI being more CHR/Pop than CHR/Rhythmic these days, I'd say that's about right.

MarkW said:

True, but these numbers are massive for WWJ compared to any book of the last ten years.

Four things helped them, in my opinion:
--Local politics
--Winter weather
--U-M basketball (Pistons suck, no Wings, U-M was on fire in January)
--Joe Donovan's exit. I would *love* to see the morning daypart numbers. Greg Bowman is so much easier on the ears. Hiring Tom Jordan from San Diego is a questionable move. If the pairing of Greg & Roberta is pulling massive ratings, why change?

Clear Channel should flip 106.7 t Hot Ac to attack WDVD. They can protect wkqi on key age groups this way and help WJLB be no1 on 18-34.

WJLB is considered an Urban buy, not a "P18-34" buy. 94% of WJLB's audience is African American. 87% of WKQI's audience is Caucasian.

Also, WJLB's listenership might not be as heavily concentrated in the 18-34 cell as you may think, although they undoubtedly are a very popular station with African Americans in that age group. The station does well in P35-44 and even P45-54! Their numbers are remarkably consistent from the 18-24 cell all the way to the 45-54 cell; only a slight skew exists in favor of the younger ages.

Marv is correct. Clear Channel was clustered too tightly with WKQI as CHR, WNIC as Hot AC, and WDTW-FM as Rythmic Hot AC (they actually reported to the CHR/Pop panel for a time). As CHR drifted away from Urban/hip-hop, the duplication problem between WKQI and WDTW-FM was only going to worsen. CC was also missing the boat completely on male demo buys. That certainly explains why 106.7 flipped to Classic Rock.

Best way for Clear Channel to defend against the WDVD juggernaut is to make both WKQI and WNIC strong brands with strong content. If they cannot get the job done with these two stations, they aren't going to get the job done -- period. WNIC's music position sits right on the border between Hot AC and Mainstream AC. With WKQI being more CHR/Pop than CHR/Rhythmic these days, I'd say that's about right.
Skipping to the WWJ comment. I could not agree more with all of that. U-M hoops, and the football bowl game couldn't have hurt 950. As for 106.7, there is no format on the horizon that I see Clear Channel putting on 106.7 right now, so The D just won't have the ratings and live with their cume audience, I agree with the thought that the station that Clear Channel has that should compete with 96.3...is Fresh 100.3. Finally, 106.7 going Hot AC wouldn't guarantee 'JLB shooting to number one. Their Hip-Hop competitor has a better signal than they did at 102.7, and it is tougher to pass up the popular CBS Radio station in any given month(outside of December, and Holiday books).

The departure of Joe Donovan could not have been very impactful. That Daypart attracts those seeking hard news and WX/Traffic updates. WWj is the only station offering that in a continuous format so it's not likely that Donovan's departure had people suddenly thinking, Wow, a new voice on 950, let me tune in.

UM Basketball, School Closings and the weather in general did bode well for their ratings. February will likely be pretty good as well, but after that they should track more towards their typical share.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom