• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The future of radio?

Even though this took place in Sweden it should set off the alarm bell in all markets. Despite the listener rejection that doesn't mean the major broadcast companies are not headed in this direction. All of them are making large layoffs and in the near future the article could lay the ground work for the radio of the a not too distant tomorrow. After reading the article, remember the words of Stephen Haking:

"I fear that AI may replace humans altogether. If people design computer viruses, someone will design AI that replicates itself. This will be a new form of life that will outperform humans."

Couleur 3 is a station from Switzerland, not Sweden. It's already a fairly alternative, experimental, ad-free station run by a public broadcaster so listeners would have been receptive to this kind of experiment in a way that listeners to, say, a commercial country format might not. When I tuned in online just now, it was playing Bobby Brown by Frank Zappa. I'm not sure this experiment tells us a great deal.

Other than the A I created talk segments, how is an A I assisted radio station/broadcast different from an (old school) automated radio station (songs are still selected based on the known/expected popularity)?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Even though this took place in Sweden it should set off the alarm bell in all markets. Despite the listener rejection that doesn't mean the major broadcast companies are not headed in this direction. All of them are making large layoffs and in the near future the article could lay the ground work for the radio of the a not too distant tomorrow.
If you've ever listened to streamed music on Spotify, iTunes, watched videos on Youtube, used Google for search, or pretty much anything on line, you've experienced the use of some form of AI. In other words, most average consumers, including radio nerds apparently, aren't even aware that AI has been touching their lives for years. This whole boogieman mentality of AI is coming to replace us, is nothing more than is a form of social panic caused by lack of understanding.

Couleur 3 is a station from Switzerland, not Sweden. It's already a fairly alternative, experimental, ad-free station run by a public broadcaster so listeners would have been receptive to this kind of experiment in a way that listeners to, say, a commercial country format might not. When I tuned in online just now, it was playing Bobby Brown by Frank Zappa. I'm not sure this experiment tells us a great deal.
Its like letting an existing algorithm used by streaming companies like Spotify, Pandora, or iTunes, choose music for a conventional radio station. The only people who would be panicked by this sort of thing, already believe the the talent they hear on the radio, are the same folks who also pick the music being played. Of course, that hasn't happened in fifty years.

You're correct. In the same time you made one mistake AI would have made millions.
So true.

If you look at how much inaccurate data there is online regarding radio, you can guess how much of that will be absorbed into any AI "study" of the history of radio.

I've found that well over half of all individual radio station articles on Wikipedia have significant inaccuracies or total false items (and I am being conservative in my estimate). I'm sure the same applies to many other fields, so an AI data collection will be littered with inaccuracies.

AI, no doubt, will use TicTok items to evaluate the law of gravity, based on kids throwing things with the camera "upside down" to give the illusion of zero gravity at sea level...

So true.

If you look at how much inaccurate data there is online regarding radio, you can guess how much of that will be absorbed into any AI "study" of the history of radio.

I've found that well over half of all individual radio station articles on Wikipedia have significant inaccuracies or total false items (and I am being conservative in my estimate). I'm sure the same applies to many other fields, so an AI data collection will be littered with inaccuracies.
Speaking only for myself, there are plenty of corrections I could make to various radio-station articles on Wikipedia but I'm put off by the weird politics and the disdain for primary sources. I don't have time for that crap.

Speaking only for myself, there are plenty of corrections I could make to various radio-station articles on Wikipedia but I'm put off by the weird politics and the disdain for primary sources. I don't have time for that crap.
I tried to update some of the radio entires on Wikipedia myself but my contributions were treated like vandalism and need more proof. So I've decided to leave the updating alone and let the "Real Editors To That Site" update the entries themselves.

Dan <><

P.S. Off the top of my head, I know of many entires from here in Alabama, that need to be updated. (Some examples would include WMGY Montgomery, WRBZ Wetumpka/Montgomery, WALX here in Selma, WGYV Greenville, WKWL Florala and WKLF in Clanton)​

Last edited:
Could AI/computer programming program a radio station based on songs that "test" well? Could PDs jobs be eliminated?
Very hard for AI to evaluate "feel" which is the key to the final edit of a Selector or MusicMaster produced log. Since AI uses past experience, amalgamated, to create new instances, it would have a very hard time dealing with new music.

Very hard for AI to evaluate "feel" which is the key to the final edit of a Selector or MusicMaster produced log. Since AI uses past experience, amalgamated, to create new instances, it would have a very hard time dealing with new music.
I assume feel is how a PD perceives a track for a station?

I assume feel is how a PD perceives a track for a station?
No.

It's how you think each song segues into the next and how the whole set comes together.

I know of one of America's most successful PDs who had the tips and tails all recorded and if he was uncertain about a segue, he'd play the tail and the tip to see how they flowed.

Even though this took place in Sweden it should set off the alarm bell in all markets. Despite the listener rejection that doesn't mean the major broadcast companies are not headed in this direction.

The other side of this is that radio listeners are willing to pay a monthly subscription fee in order to avoid live & local talent. They do so all the time. If all it took to attract listeners was pay for local talent, the radio companies would do it. But when it comes to music radio, listeners mainly want to hear the music, not chatty DJs.

Back
Top Bottom