• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The FCC 2006 Quadrennial Broadcast Media Ownership Review

The FCC recently held Public Hearings in Los Angeles and El Segundo on October 3, 2006. I watched the LA Hearing on C-SPAN a few days ago.

This hearing is the first in a series of media ownership hearings the Commission intends to hold across the country.

The hearing is open to the public, and seating will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. The hearing format will enable members of the public to participate via “open microphone.”

The opening comments by several of the Comissioners were postitive, in that they expressed the fact that "The Airwaves belong to ---the Public--- and are for the benefit of the Public". Which is to contrast the idea that the airwaves are for the benefit of Corporate Conglomerates, and, do --not-- belong to Corporate America.

I beleive the 1996 Telecomunications Act needs to be revised, to go back in the other direction, that being Local ownership of media, with the understanding that local media will be able to "shop" the big networks offerings, if there is something there that they feel will be good for their communities.

As was stated and re-stated by those commenting at the hearings......
"Homoginization may be good for Milk...... but it is not good for Music Playlists and creative TV programs."

I thought it particularly revelatory, when one of the panelists, Mike Mills, Bassist for R.E.M., Member, Recording Artists' Coalition, nearing the end of his prepared statement, asked a rhetorical question, "Since the relaxtion of Media Ownership Rules in 1996, 'Are you more satisfied with your radio programming?'"--- The entire public audience present immeadiately answered, in unison, with a resounding "No". And that, by the way, was the most definitive and unifed response to --anything-- said before the entire hearing . . . .

WAKE UP -- CORPORATE AMERICA --- The Public, ---who still own the airwaves--- is --NOT-- more satisfied with the way you do business !

---PREPARE FOR THE CHANGES TO COME !!!----

If the FCC Hearings come to your area, perhaps those that feel as pasionately about this, will be able to take the time and effort to express your feelings to the Commission. Let your voice be Heard ! !

Link to the FCC Media Ownership Page http://www.fcc.gov/ownership/

i am interested if they will go in the right direction, of having less stations owned by a company or a individual. i do miss the weather reports when we have bad weather or traffic reports on a serious accidents like they used to do. in austin,tx. they seem to have the traffic reports on early morning and then start around 4:30 or 5 pm. the news, weather and traffic should be on 12-16 hours a day, not in the morning time only. maybe 10-50 radio stations 10-20 tv stations owned nationally.(smaller numbers preferally).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom