• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

THE DOO WOP VAULT HAS IT!!!!

RADIO TRUTH said:
First.....You are not talking about the Milestone record label Owned by Jackson & Madelon Baker. There were two other Milestone record labels, one one in NY, and one owned by rockabilly star Werly Fairburn which recorded the Blue jays and Jodimars.

2nd....my Definition of a professional is performance and attitude, not whether they are paid or not. there are others in this business who believe if you broker your airtime, you are also not a professional. So this all comes down to opinion...and you know what they say about them...right.I will not spend days and weeks sparring on this issue. people are so quick to question the actions of those with no power than those with power. I will say this for the last time, my podcast is only used for those who missed the show on the terrestrial stations that broadcast my show, that's it.no money is being made from the podcast, it's only use is that of an archive, that's it, that's all.now....if there are people out there employed by those gangster organisations that have a problem with that, then let the games begin.

The Milestone record label that I mentioned that was sold to Rhino had Diamonds And Pearls by the Paradons on it. If you and others who use music in podcasts without permission from the copyright holders get sued, you can't say you weren't warned. Your definition of professional is idiotic. A true professional gets paid for services rendered. You're one of tons of hobbyists living out a fantasy that your internet station is relevant. If you were really a professional and had a significant audience, you wouldn't be complaining about paying the royalties but, with no money coming in, the $3000.00 minimum yearly royalty payments must seem like a lot for a hobby that only strokes your ego.

Since you feel the need to get insulting...that means I struck a nerve. The terrestrial stations that broadcast my show feel the same way I do....and since terrestrial stations broadcast my show, I guess it isn't a hobby,is it. it's people like you that really, really make me laugh. it gives you a feeling of power to go after the minnows in a pond, meanwhile you avoid the sharks. Why don't you focus and speak out on the rampant payola in this business which is still happening and ILLEGAL. Why don't you focus and speak out on behalf of the artists in this business who haven't received any royalties,which means the three gangster groups you go to bat for are busy collecting royalties but not paying out, some whom I know and have talked to personally. You see it's people like you who like to question and attack the little guy, but crap your pants when it comes to attacking and questioning the people with power.you can be as insulting all you want, but it's the people all over the U.S and abroad ie the UK, Germany, Spain, Russia etc who love what I do and e-mail me weekly praising what I do that counts, and who matter. I guess that's why out of 649 other oldies shows in the oldies category I have been ranked by the listeners #1 or #2.and I guess that's why the advertisers contacted the owner of the terrestrial station and expressed how much they love the show, as I said you don't matter.Cheers.

2nd, by the way, Milestone didn't sell the label,they sold their catalog.

OH, and by the way, you did a Gene Kelly all over the place on the question I asked you....so according to your definition on what defines a professional...I guess a DJ who brokers their airtime and doesn't get a paid from the station, but by the advertisers he gets to by time on his show isn't...according to you, a professional. lol lol please my man, get a life, leave people alone. stop making a fool of yourself. So, this the last correspondence you will receive..because you don't matter. Cheers.

TheFonz said:
melan8tr said:
TheFonz said:
melan8tr said:
The Clovers are 100% R&B

So then, "Love Potion #9" is R&B?

I believe yes, all of the clovers catolog is R&B..having said that..Doo-wop is a hybrid of R&B and Rock n' roll/Pop...harmony groups using alot of nonsense lyrics ,as defined in the early 70's....define Doo-Wop ,if not a nonsense lyric introduced by some group at some point in time in a lyric.
Doo-Wop,Shu-Doo-Wop, Wop,Wop, rama -lama -ding Dong...some DJ coined the term referencing certain style and lyric and boom
any harmony group from 1948 forward was called doo-wop...the platters never did nonsence lyrics... i'll ask you this..what is you rational for labeling both "I'm On the outside looking in" by little anthony and "rama-lama Ding-dong" by the edsels as doo-wop..why then don't we do away with the term R&B..or give me a specific example of an R&B song and a Doo-Wop song....Buck Ram was the Berry Gordy of his day Black Music for White People..or as they called It back then "Cross-over"..Little Anthony eventaully went that direction when he hooked up with homoginized sound of Teddy Randazzo...yes you are right I did open a bucket of worms..

Wow...you're all over the map here. I'm trying to follow you..........here's what I've got so far: In your original post you were trying to define ARTISTS by genre. Now you're backing off and saying that an artist or group can do songs from several genres. You're also saying that "Love Potion #9" is a R&B song, even though it made the Pop charts. And you're saying that in order for a song to be classified as "doo wop" it has to have "nonsense lyrics". Have I got it about right?
actually you do ,but your just messing with me..if you check the R&B chart clovers probably charted higher in the R&B than the hot 100 so it's a cross-over, just because it crossed-over to the pop chart doesn't change what it is.."Please Help Me I'm Falling" a pure country song..does it change spots when it crossed over,no..you know that very well, your just being contradictory.. I am not trying to pidgeon-hole a song by Genre, I was just saying, sometimes songs are thrown around as this and that out of context.......when the term doo-wop was coined it leaned to the nonsence lyric aspect of it..that's all I'm saying.. you still haven't defined what the origin of word Doo-Wop is ,was it not a nonsence lyric, you are hedging here..my final word is this , call them what you want..it's easy to do what they all do. Time to move on..

As I said, "Doo Wop" wasn't used to describe this music until Gus Gossert in 1968.From 1948 on, Alan Freed referred to R&B as Rock n Roll. As Fats Domino said "What they now call Rock n Roll, is r&b and i've been playing it for 15 years in New Orleans". And as far as the Platters not doing nonsense lyrics, checkout their early cuts on King/Federal.Great, rocking, thumping cuts.Checkout "Hey Now".

melan8tr said:
actually you do ,but your just messing with me..if you check the R&B chart clovers probably charted higher in the R&B than the hot 100 so it's a cross-over, just because it crossed-over to the pop chart doesn't change what it is.."Please Help Me I'm Falling" a pure country song..does it change spots when it crossed over,no..you know that very well, your just being contradictory.. I am not trying to pidgeon-hole a song by Genre, I was just saying, sometimes songs are thrown around as this and that out of context.......when the term doo-wop was coined it leaned to the nonsence lyric aspect of it..that's all I'm saying.. you still haven't defined what the origin of word Doo-Wop is ,was it not a nonsence lyric, you are hedging here..my final word is this , call them what you want..it's easy to do what they all do. Time to move on..

Why are you trying to turn this around on me? I remind you of your original post: [How many versions of Gloria (same as cadillacs and passions) do you play i have heard at least half a dozen versions...reason I ask are you, east coast doo-wop or do you play aLot of R&B sometimes incorrectly labeled doo-wop).. I don't consider "the Platters" or " Little Anthony"as Doo-Wop.] YOU pretended to be the expert on Doo Wop and R&B. So I asked YOU to define them.

doowopvault said:
As I said, "Doo Wop" wasn't used to describe this music until Gus Gossert in 1968.From 1948 on, Alan Freed referred to R&B as Rock n Roll. As Fats Domino said "What they now call Rock n Roll, is r&b and i've been playing it for 15 years in New Orleans". And as far as the Platters not doing nonsense lyrics, checkout their early cuts on King/Federal.Great, rocking, thumping cuts.Checkout "Hey Now".

The 1948 date was a mistake folks, sorry. it was when Freed began his show in Ohio.

Hey Doo Wop Vault - Don't let these morons get to you. You've put something together that's unique, creative and entertaining. What's upsetting to them is that they didn't have the ability to come up with it first. Keep doing what you're doing and I hope you continue expanding your audience through syndication.

Thanks

WDAE-FM101 said:
Hey Doo Wop Vault - Don't let these morons get to you. You've put something together that's unique, creative and entertaining. What's upsetting to them is that they didn't have the ability to come up with it first. Keep doing what you're doing and I hope you continue expanding your audience through syndication.

Thanks

Hey my man, thanks for the support. There is always someone out there that likes to be the fly in the ointment.

You bet - I enjoy your presentation - and you give me cravings for a cheesesteak! I haven't been in Philly since 2004.

I'm enjoying the show as well. I subscribed to it on iTunes after I read a post about it on here a few months ago. Now I'm trying to catch up, which is difficult as you seem to post two or three shows a week. Not that I'm complaining. It's a good problem to have when it comes to rare doo wop and r&b. BTW, what stations are you currently broadcast on besides WKVA?

TheFonz said:
melan8tr said:

Why are you trying to turn this around on me? I remind you of your original post: [How many versions of Gloria (same as cadillacs and passions) do you play i have heard at least half a dozen versions...reason I ask are you, east coast doo-wop or do you play aLot of R&B sometimes incorrectly labeled doo-wop).. I don't consider "the Platters" or " Little Anthony"as Doo-Wop.] YOU pretended to be the expert on Doo Wop and R&B. So I asked YOU to define them.
I know what I know ,I don't pretend to be anything...sorry, I just assumed you were equal to the task,my mistake...bye

Chad said:
I'm enjoying the show as well. I subscribed to it on iTunes after I read a post about it on here a few months ago. Now I'm trying to catch up, which is difficult as you seem to post two or three shows a week. Not that I'm complaining. It's a good problem to have when it comes to rare doo wop and r&b. BTW, what stations are you currently broadcast on besides WKVA?

Glad you enjoy the show. I'm also on WBZH THE BUZZ 1370AM on Thursday at midnight, Oldies radio 1620 Wednesday's at 6:00pm, Wednesday and Sunday on a station in Dublin Ireland at 10:00am est and a bunch more.

melan8tr said:
TheFonz said:
I know what I know ,I don't pretend to be anything...sorry, I just assumed you were equal to the task,my mistake...bye

The simple answer is: Listen to it. Enjoy it. But don't try to define it.

TheFonz said:
melan8tr said:
TheFonz said:

The simple answer is: Listen to it. Enjoy it. But don't try to define it.

Great answer my man. Just sit back, relax, put up your feet and enjoy all the rare wax.

What happened to the Show? I haven't seen any new podcasts in iTunes since last week, and the PodOmatic page seems to have disappeared. Every time I try to pull it up, I get a message saying, "Page Not Found."

doowopvault said:
THAT'S RIGHT!!!! rare 1950's early 60's Doo Wop, r&b vocal groups, rock and acappella...plus the classics. Syndicated on 13 stations so far, with more to come.Available 24/7 via my podcast at www.doowopvault.podomatic.com Check it out!!! it'll make you dance, prance and make romance.

Great stuff Doowopvault.....oh Btw, watch out for RADIO TRUTH, he might call you a groupie next....he even dislikes WCBS and oldies music. We've been through that nonsense several years back. ::)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom