• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Cats out of the Bag - The Point Flips

lamey

Inactive
Inactive User
At Midnight, The All America Rejects were played - The Song....This Ends Tonight:

A second of Silence and right into John Tesh (Funny , they jumped into Huey Lewis: Happy to be stuck with you)
Mix till tuesday is what we're hearing. In the meantime, very nice guy Ken Carr posted this on MySpace

Posted on MySpace:

Actually, I have two major Ken Carr announcements.

1.) I'm changing radio stations.

My time on Z104.1 has been fantastic. All of you who took a second or a lot of time to listen are amazing. But, the radio business is a business. The money that comes in depends on having the largest share of radio listening possible - that determines how much can be charged for advertising. While the Z audience was loyal and enthusiastic... it was a little too small to be profitable enough to meet the company's goals. So, Journal Broadcast Group decided that it was time to put other programming on 104.1 in an attempt to get a larger share of listeners.

104.1 will debut an all talk programming lineup next week.

Journal was kind enough to offer me the opportunity to stay in Tucson with their group of stations. However, that does mean a station change for ol' Ken. Starting Monday I will be moving to Mega 106.3 & 104.9 fm from 3-7 p.m. and also have been promoted to Assistant Program Director. Same silly jokes. Same silly Ken! Different station.

On a side note, it was a very sad day because several people did not get to keep their jobs as a result of all of the changes. Z104.1's Carrie Benjamin and Cathy Rivers, two of the most fantastic people ever, were not retained. Big hug for both - and I wish them the best. They are truly talented individuals who will undoubtedly continue successful broadcasting careers in the future. :) Mega 106.3 & 104.9's Ed Alexander also was not retained... he's awesome too... and I wish him the best as well.

Mega's Dee Cortez is also no longer with Mega. She has a new job lined up on the radio in Tucson... which won't be announced for about a week... but I do know where she's going and what she'll be doing and she will be working with someone who I am proud to say I helped get started in the radio business and who is awesome. Dee is awesome too... you go girl!

So if they are going all talk, what hosts will be on the station. Probably Ingraham. Who's the PD?

Sloppy. The RDS data is still listing the songs on Z's playlist, while entirely different songs are playing on the radio. For example, right now the screen says Hand In My Pocket by Alanis Morisette, but the song coming out of the radio is Peter Frampton's Baby I Love Your Way.

Re: Cloud Simulcast ID (Was: Re: The Cats out of the Bag - The Point Flips)

I was able to pull in Cloud 95 up here in the 'Tuke a bit before 4:00
hoping to hear a simulcast ID, and indeed, coming out of a stopset
at 3:53 there it was:

"KMXZ, KZPT, Tucson('s soft rock...or some similar words)"

Closed circuit for Bobby (that's as in Bobby and Brad):

While we can overlook the marginal representation of the COL
with the use of the possessive form Tucson's (since you do
actually say Tucson in a sneaky way and I've heard other stations
do this same method to combine ID and liner), the Cloud 95 ID
was not legal.

Each station must be IDed separately in a simulcast, either by their
single ID on a split-programming feed to each frequency, or by one
dual ID announcement of each station's calls and COL on both freqs.,
i.e., "KMXZ Tucson, KZPT Tucson."

Geez, we've had enough trouble in Phoenix with Lumberyard 1440 playing
fast and loose with (lack of) IDs at sign-on/sign-off and some TOHs.

And the Giant 580 still can't run the correct "ID plus time-of-day track"
after Dancin' Danny Babich--while the legal is legal, the time is an hour
off, then they run a second track with the correct time!

But now...Cloud also? ::)

IMO, discussing the legalities of legal IDs is an exercise in picking at very tiny nits. Yeah yeah, the law's the law and all that, but as a practical matter the concept of the legal ID has long outlived any usefulness, except to radio phreeks and maybe DXers.

As long as we are dealing with legal ID minutia, guess what..."KMXZ Tucson" is not the correct legal ID either! There is supposed to be an "-FM" in there. Look it up.

This dates back to a brief period when the KMXZ calls were "parked" on the co-owned 1490 signal, and then moved to 94.9. There had to be an FM appended to differentiate the call from the AM, and it was never removed.

awsherrill said:
IMO, discussing the legalities of legal IDs is an exercise in picking at very tiny nits...
...As long as we are dealing with legal ID minutia, guess what..."KMXZ Tucson" is not the correct legal ID either! There is supposed to be an "-FM" in there. Look it up.

I looked it up (FCC FM Query) and you're Absolutely Right (Five Man Electrical Band, 1971, perhaps heard--on occasion--on Cloud 95's Seventies Saturday).

I figured that between Bobby, the C.E. and the G.M., Journal would have their (normal) legal ID stuff in order, but...guess not.

Don't worry, we radio geeks here on the Tucson and Phoenix boards will always be happy to pick nits when and where applicable. ;)

KZPT is now a jazz and R&B station, kind of like a Urban AC. They play some new school stuff like Mary J. Blige, Brandy, and the like, and also play some out-of-place 50's to 60's jazz track.

I personally like the new sound, but since WHEN did Tucson have the demographics to support an Urban-rooted format??

Shame on them for getting rid of Ed Alexander. This guy is loyal to every station He's worked for, He is truly a class act.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom