• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Best HD Radio that won't break the bank?

Is the Insignia™ - HD Radio Tabletop (The one I have purchased) the best receiver to date that still is fairly widely available and will not break the bank or is there another one that you all are looking at? I'm looking for something like the excellent Sony XDR-F1HD

For distant signal reception the only thing I've found that equals a Sony is the BW Brodcast RX1. But it absolutely breaks the bank. The little Tecsun PL-380 comes close. Neither one of those are HD, however. Keep in mind that once you encode/decode an HD signal there's not much else a radio can do to alter the sound. HD radio by definition has a lossy codec and the digital artifacts are the weakest link in the audio chain under most circumstances.

Dave B.

I grabbed a JVC KT-HDP1 off E-Bay for $14.00. $7 for the radio and $7 for shipping. Best radio I ever owned. Just make sure that you purchase the home, auto (or both!) installation kits because it sure makes the install much easier than trying a hack. Sensitivity and selectivity equals or exceeds any radio I've ever played with.

This little puppy is almost small enough to hide in the palm of the hand. You can plug headphones in or feed audio directly into an amp. It has a built in Part 15 FM transmitter that allows you to set the frequency anywhere there is a clear spot on the dial. It will supply a crystal clear signal to any radio within reasonable range. Comes with a remote, RBDS (no RDS), bright screen and giant RBDS info that scrolls nice and slow so you can take several glances while maintaining all your attention on driving.

Radio plays through a Sony EXCD-31 in the car and I use it to A-B tests between the JVC's AM and FM HD compared to an excellent Sony analog radio. You might be surprised at the results!

-

I had the the JVC KT-HDP1 in 2 cars but did not like and replaced them because it can not store HD sub-channels as pre-sets. That is a must for me.

brian.marchand said:
I had the the JVC KT-HDP1 in 2 cars but did not like and replaced them because it can not store HD sub-channels as pre-sets. That is a must for me.

Pioneer does it. I can't stand the normal format of the stations I preset, virtually ALL presets are on HD-2's.

Yes Pioneer does store HD2 presets. I have a Pioneer HD radio in my car.

rbrucecarter5 said:
brian.marchand said:

Pioneer does it. I can't stand the normal format of the stations I preset, virtually ALL presets are on HD-2's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom