• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Beatles on AAA

Fieldtech1 said:
Just curious. Do a lot of AAA stations spin The Beatles??

The Spectrum on Sirius does every now and then. But it's mostly their obscure non hit songs that get played. Same goes for their solo albums too.

whatthewhat said:
We play a few tracks on Birmnigham Mountain Radio.

We play Across The Universe, Two Of Us, Dear Prudence and a couple more.

Check us out www.bhammountainradio.com and post what you think of the station.

Having been accused of being "mean spirited" on this board, I'll temper my comment with some semblance of kindness:

If I were passionate for all things new in the AAA universe, I'd listen to bhammountainradio.com. I suppose if you could get the word out to the world about your unique format, you could make a go of it. Reg sounds like he might be trying a little too hard to be engaging and he has a tendency to overstate the popularity of his music selections. Stations like this belong on the internet because they haven't a chance of commercial success on terrestrial; they're just too hip for the room. How about posting some of your audience metrics? Best of luck.

I haven't posted much on here so not sure about your "mean spirted" comments. I guess I am glad we got off with nothing really negative from you.

The Beatles isn't are main focus at all. Just painting with a broad brush. I would say we are 55% female lsiteners and in the first month we had over 50,000 hits to our website.

Our first statiion "event" was our launch party for The Civil Wars at Workplay and they sold out 2 nights and 1 matinee before the Super Bowl. So, so far so good.

Manny,

Were you familiar with Reg or did you just get that impression from him by just being a new listener?

whatthewhat said:
I haven't posted much on here so not sure about your "mean spirted" comments. I guess I am glad we got off with nothing really negative from you.

The Beatles isn't are main focus at all. Just painting with a broad brush. I would say we are 55% female lsiteners and in the first month we had over 50,000 hits to our website.

Our first statiion "event" was our launch party for The Civil Wars at Workplay and they sold out 2 nights and 1 matinee before the Super Bowl. So, so far so good.

I guess by "metrics" I was referring to concurrent listener figures. Also, I'm wondering how you can determine a gender percentage. Are you managing a registration database?

My opinion of Reg's performance is based only on listening.

Certain Super Groups work in a variety of ways. The Beatles are one that usually pleases. WNWV in the Cleveland, Ohio area plays a number of Beatles tracks. One way WBWC, a college owned station with an Alternative format, differentiates itself from its commercial counterpart is to have select tracks from The Beatles, and others (ie. The Doors) available for occasional use. Staffed primarily by 18-24 year olds it was interesting when the P.D. told the staff not to play so many tracks by these artists. That says a lot about the quality, longevity and continuing interest these artists enjoy.

johnbasalla said:
Certain Super Groups work in a variety of ways. The Beatles are one that usually pleases. WNWV in the Cleveland, Ohio area plays a number of Beatles tracks. One way WBWC, a college owned station with an Alternative format, differentiates itself from its commercial counterpart is to have select tracks from The Beatles, and others (ie. The Doors) available for occasional use. Staffed primarily by 18-24 year olds it was interesting when the P.D. told the staff not to play so many tracks by these artists. That says a lot about the quality, longevity and continuing interest these artists enjoy.
IIRC, KROQ and 91x used to spin the Beatles, the Who/Pete Townsend, and the Stones in their regular rotation back in the '80's.

semoochie said:
I'm still reeling from the concept of "obscure Beatles songs"!

I'm sure that the author is referring to the tracks that aren't played frequently on classic rock radio. Of those, there are too many to list here, but some songs are less played than others (i.e. Savoy Truffle, I'll Cry Instead, Think For Yourself, Long Tall Sally...well you get the picture. )

semoochie said:
Want some "obscure" Beatles songs? Try these:

"The Sheik of Araby"
"Three Cool Cats"
"If You've Got Trouble"
"In Spite of All the Danger"
"That Means a Lot"

All of these are from the Anthology series, and while I mentioned the Anthology series earlier in this thread, I don't think any of these particular titles would get any airplay, mostly because these were too early in the Fab Four's career. It's worth noting that "In Spite of All the Danger" had a Harrison-McCartney songwriting credit, and there was also an instrumental with a Harrison-Lennon songwriting credit. Didn't see that too often!

firepoint525 said:
semoochie said:

"The Sheik of Araby"
"Three Cool Cats"
"If You've Got Trouble"
"That Means a Lot"

All of these are from the Anthology series, and while I mentioned the Anthology series earlier in this thread, I don't think any of these particular titles would get any airplay, mostly because these were too early in the Fab Four's career. It's worth noting that "In Spite of All the Danger" had a Harrison-McCartney songwriting credit, and there was also an instrumental with a Harrison-Lennon songwriting credit. Didn't see that too often!

I suspect that the real reason they don't get any airplay is that these songs are truly horrible. I'm just sayin'.

Manny Michaels said:
firepoint525 said:
semoochie said:
"The Sheik of Araby"
"Three Cool Cats"
"If You've Got Trouble"
"That Means a Lot"
I suspect that the real reason they don't get any airplay is that these songs are truly horrible. I'm just sayin'.
I didn't say that they were "good" songs. Yeah, I'm "just sayin'" too.

Manny Michaels said:
firepoint525 said:
semoochie said:

"The Sheik of Araby"
"Three Cool Cats"
"If You've Got Trouble"
"That Means a Lot"

No worse than “You Like Me Too Much” or “I Need You”. Both were by Harrison, and both were on the U.K. release of the Help! LP (YLMTM was released in the U.S. on Beatles VI, and George sang INY but not YLMTM in the movie).

Not until “Taxman”, “Love You To”, and “I Want to Tell You” (a great tune IMO) on Revolver did Harrison find his songwriting stride (although all votes for “If I Needed Someone” on RS will be counted).

ixnay

No worse than “You Like Me Too Much” or “I Need You”. Both were by Harrison, and both were on the U.K. release of the Help! LP (YLMTM was released in the U.S. on Beatles VI, and George sang INY but not YLMTM in the movie).

Not until “Taxman”, “Love You To”, and “I Want to Tell You” (a great tune IMO) on Revolver did Harrison find his songwriting stride (although all votes for “If I Needed Someone” on RS will be counted).

ixnay

Your opinion, maybe.
I think "I Need You" is a lovely song, and Help! is one of my favorite Beatles albums.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom