• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 25th Anniversary of MARS FM. 100 hours of unscoped airchecks!

H

Hot Hits

Come relive your favorite pain with 100 Hours of MARS FM Airchecks newly released. Currently listening to Big Ron, Freddy Snakeskin, Swedish Eagle, they're all there!

PROGRAM SCHEDULE

Phase 1

Weekdays
Mike Fright - Midnight to 6am (Mon)
Don Bolles - Midnight to 2am (Tue-Wed)
Holly Adams - Midnight to 2am (Thu-Fri)
Christian B. - 2am to 6am (Tue-Fri)
Big Ron O'Brien - 6am to 10am
Raechel Donahue - 10am to 3pm
Freddy Snakeskin - 3pm to 6pm
Rob Francis - 6pm to 10pm
Don Bolles - 10pm to Midnight (Mon-Wed)
Holly Adams - 10pm to Midnight (Thu-Fri)
Saturday
Holly Adams - Midnight to 2am
Don Bolles - 2am to 6am
Don May - 6am to 10am
Swedish Egil - 10am to Noon
Swedish Egil & DJ Spinn (MARS FM Top 30 Countdown) - Noon to 3pm
Christian B. - 3pm to 8pm
Tony Largo (Saturday Night Mix Show) - 8pm to Midnight
Sunday
Don Bolles - Midnight to 5am
Mike Fright - 5am to 7am
Big Ron O'Brien - 7am to 8am
Jon Copps (Public Affairs) - 8am to 8:30am
Swedish Egil (Planet Reggae) - 8:30am to Noon
Swedish Egil - Noon to 2pm
Christian B. - 2pm to 7pm
Don Bolles - 7pm to Midnight

Phase 2

Weekdays
Raechel Donahue - 5am to 9am
Swedish Egil - 9am to Noon
Holly Adams - Noon to 3pm
Freddy Snakeskin - 3pm to 6pm
Rob Francis - 6pm to 10pm
Don Bolles - 10pm to 2am
Mike Fright - Monday, 2am to 5am
Christian B. - Tuesday - Friday, 2am to 5am
Saturday
Remy Martin - 6am to Noon
Swedish Egil & DJ Spinn (MARS FM Top 30 Countdown) - Noon to 3pm
Christian B. - 3pm to 8pm
Tony Largo (Saturday Night Mix Show) - 8pm to Midnight
Don Bolles (The All-Night Truck Driver Show) - Midnight to 5am
Sunday
Mike Fright - 5am to 8am
Jon Copps (Public Affairs) - 8am to 8:30am
Swedish Egil (Planet Reggae) - 8:30am to 1pm
Christian B. - 1pm to 5pm
Remy Martin - 5pm to 9pm
Tony Largo (Planet Polyester) - 9pm to Midnight
Mike Fright - Midnight to 5am

LISTEN TO CLASSIC MARS FM RECORDING
http://www.freddysnakeskin.com/marsfm/

Great especially since they're unscoped!! So I just picked the first one, and listening to Don Bolles talking about dancing your ass off better than getting it shot off... THEN I looked at the date and realized what was going on around here at that date! Thanks for these, fans of THE DIFFERENT are appreciative. ATT: establishment radio people warning: DO NOT LISTEN hahaha

Great especially since they're unscoped!! So I just picked the first one, and listening to Don Bolles talking about dancing your ass off better than getting it shot off... THEN I looked at the date and realized what was going on around here at that date! Thanks for these, fans of THE DIFFERENT are appreciative. ATT: establishment radio people warning: DO NOT LISTEN hahaha
You're Welcome and must listen to the Big Ron (Riot) recording. He was so funny and I thought it would be a riot, it was the day of the Rodney King rioting!

mars 103.1 was such a wonderful station, with an appreciated Euro underpinning. Such a shame that adventerous radio typically does not make it in the USA. KROQ and KCRW are the two local exceptions, yet even KROQ has lost much of its adventurous edge over the years. Much thanks to the late Ken Roberts for taking a risk with mars - it was actually a leased-time arrangement with Swedish Egil (now on SiriusXM).

I wonder if mars 103.1 existed today, in the age of streaming, if any success would be forthcoming. I surmise no as Groove Radio, Channel 1031, KDL (dance) and Indie 103.1 also occupied 103.1 FM in subsequent years and none of them achieved long-term financial viability. Indie continues as a webcaster, but is little noticed, I believe. RIP mars. You were loved, and now via our little LA radio fan community online, we get to enjoy a wee bit of you once again.

Such a shame that adventerous radio typically does not make it in the USA. KROQ and KCRW are the two local exceptions, yet even KROQ has lost much of its adventurous edge over the years.

Agreed. I have missed Indie 103.1 since Jan. 15, 2009.

Although, since then, I have really grown to appreciate KCRW tremendously. I think they are the last great radio station in Los Angeles. The station is constantly evolving and experimenting with new sounds, as electro-indie and EDM have begun to grow in popularity across music. The station sounds very different from its Nic Harcourt days and it's quite enjoyable to listen to on the weekends.

You're Welcome and must listen to the Big Ron (Riot) recording. He was so funny and I thought it would be a riot, it was the day of the Rodney King rioting!

Thanks for posting. I have only had a chance to listen for a few minutes since this was posted so I hope he keeps this up for awhile. MARS- FM was a really cool station. Even though I was a rocker and didn't have a lot of use for the alt-dance format back then, I did tune into Mars-FM rather frequently because they were quite eclectic, blending in lots of other types of music including even some rock to make a really interesting station.The dance station KDL that came much later was nothing more than an endless techno track in comparison - station had no character. But Mars had character in spades; just look at all of the name personalities that worked there. One in particular is Raechel Donahue, who must have gone there after KEDG went off the air - what a radio career this lady had. But Snakeskin was there, Egil was there, Big Ron O'Brien, and as you can see, so many others. So much going on for such a small station.

I know nothing of Rachael Donahue but she apparently still has a Saturday internet program -don'tknow if its live or just "best of"

http://tunein.com/radio/Raechel-Donahue-Show-p604617/
She was married to perhaps the most influential programmer in Rock radio history (the father of Progressive Radio Tom Donahue) and worked at top places including KSAN and KIIS FM. Even did mornings on 103.1 with my great buddy Steve Day who went on to be the morning man at Touch 98.7. Kevin & Bean would put Steve on the air while doing his 'Touch' morning show a few times, made for compelling Radio!

She was married to perhaps the most influential programmer in Rock radio history (the father of Progressive Radio Tom Donahue) and worked at top places including KSAN and KIIS FM. Even did mornings on 103.1 with my great buddy Steve Day who went on to be the morning man at Touch 98.7. Kevin & Bean would put Steve on the air while doing his 'Touch' morning show a few times, made for compelling Radio!

Not to mention she worked at both KMET and KROQ (How many people can say that?) plus as a sidekick for awhile to Rick Dees (that makes KMET, KROQ and KIIS and I'll bet nobody else can say that!), had a morning drive show at KMPC/KEDG FM, was on the aforementioned MARS-FM and was later to be found on some Sirius channels and then doing her own show on the internet covering rock from the sixties to the eighties.

When she was in morning drive she was one of the first females to solo host morning drive on a major rock/pop radio station in LA, which was kind of a big deal back then. I know she wasn't the absolute first because Shana had the morning gig on KLOS for a time in the mid-80's before Mark and Brian came along. She was actually a very good morning drive host - very witty, funny, quick on the draw, and was highly entertaining in her own way without getting in the way of the music. I enjoyed her show a lot.

Since then she has produced a lot of documentaries and done quite a bit of writing. An impressive woman.

Last edited:
Thank you Flipper, always good to see you! Raechel is also currently heard on Boss Boss Radio (the better boss) http://bossbossradio.com/boss-jocks/ and made my High School days almost worth living @ K-WEST 106. Back then if you listened to KMET you were not part of our group~

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom