• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Thank You Clearchannel and Infinity

U

uwf234

Dear Clearchannel and Infinity radio:
I would love to thank you so much for enlightening me. The promos that you play regarding pay-radio have shown me the light. You would have thought that possibly taking the only rock station in the Metroplex off he air for a crappy light rock station would have done the trick...but no, that wasn't it. Or, you would have thought that the fact that a radio legend in Howard Stern moving would have shown me the light...but no.

It was when the stupid commercials about depositing money into your radio...that did the trick. I am now a proud owner of satellite radio...and I owe it all to Clearchannel and Infinity (Free-FM, what a joke). Now, I get to listen to my rock music and talk without having to deal with either one of you.

Thank You Corporate Radio for screwing up traditional radio and giving me the motive to switch.

> Dear Clearchannel and Infinity radio:
> I would love to thank you so much for enlightening me. The
> promos that you play regarding pay-radio have shown me the
> light. You would have thought that possibly taking the only
> rock station in the Metroplex off he air for a crappy light
> rock station would have done the trick...but no, that wasn't
> it. Or, you would have thought that the fact that a radio
> legend in Howard Stern moving would have shown me the
> light...but no.
>
> It was when the stupid commercials about depositing money
> into your radio...that did the trick. I am now a proud
> owner of satellite radio...and I owe it all to Clearchannel
> and Infinity (Free-FM, what a joke). Now, I get to listen
> to my rock music and talk without having to deal with either
> one of you.
>
> Thank You Corporate Radio for screwing up traditional radio
> and giving me the motive to switch.
>
The precceding was brought to you by "Listeners with Common Sense,not Corporate stupidity"

> > Dear Clearchannel and Infinity radio:
> > I would love to thank you so much for enlightening me.
> The
> > promos that you play regarding pay-radio have shown me the
>
> > light. You would have thought that possibly taking the
> only
> > rock station in the Metroplex off he air for a crappy
> light
> > rock station would have done the trick...but no, that
> wasn't
> > it. Or, you would have thought that the fact that a radio
>
> > legend in Howard Stern moving would have shown me the
> > light...but no.
> >
> > It was when the stupid commercials about depositing money
> > into your radio...that did the trick. I am now a proud
> > owner of satellite radio...and I owe it all to
> Clearchannel
> > and Infinity (Free-FM, what a joke). Now, I get to listen
>
> > to my rock music and talk without having to deal with
> either
> > one of you.
> >
> > Thank You Corporate Radio for screwing up traditional
> radio
> > and giving me the motive to switch.
> >
> The precceding was brought to you by "Listeners with Common
> Sense,not Corporate stupidity"
>
On the mark. My yearly subscription to Sirius is the best money I've ever spent. Listening to the radio is fun once again.

I find it preferable to "deposit money in my radio" rather than constantly searching the dial for something listenable on terrestrial radio.

> Dear Clearchannel and Infinity radio:
> I would love to thank you so much for enlightening me. The
> promos that you play regarding pay-radio have shown me the
> light. You would have thought that possibly taking the only
> rock station in the Metroplex off he air for a crappy light
> rock station would have done the trick...but no, that wasn't
> it. Or, you would have thought that the fact that a radio
> legend in Howard Stern moving would have shown me the
> light...but no.
>
> It was when the stupid commercials about depositing money
> into your radio...that did the trick. I am now a proud
> owner of satellite radio...and I owe it all to Clearchannel
> and Infinity (Free-FM, what a joke). Now, I get to listen
> to my rock music and talk without having to deal with either
> one of you.
>
> Thank You Corporate Radio for screwing up traditional radio
> and giving me the motive to switch.

Gotta tell ya, my b-day is coming up next month and already know what I'm getting. XM.

The crying by CC and their ilk reminds me of the late 70's/early 80's when cable tv was treated as a joke. "Who would ever pay to watch TV?" Well, cable/sat Penetration is around 90% if I'm not mistaken. At the rate things are going with corperate radio it might not take 25 years to reach that mark.
>

Uh, it's about radio

You guys are getting the point of the promos on Clear Channel stations and the Infinity "Free Radio" plan! Very good! With HD radio you may be able to tune in to perhaps four stations on each frequency. That's not far away. In each case it'll likely be free and LOCAL. It'll be the last gasp of radio as we know it today. Now, please try to remember that this website is about radio, not overpriced satellite receivers that have no local interest or flavor. Satellite is about the homoginization of the music and "DJs." Sorry to seem doom-and-gloom or burst your bubble, but imagine if all radio stations were network, programmed from New York 24/7. That's satellite.

Oh, sure, satellite throws in as an afterthought some local traffic and maybe even some local news, but the urgency isn't and won't be there. Radio should be local and free. Otherwise in a few years almost all of us will be out of jobs and there'll be 50 radio personalities nationwide total, most all on satellite, voicetracking music for low wages and the "thrill of being a national star," mispronouncing local street names and celebrities with no interest in local needs and concerns. Most of them will be recruited from outside radio. The trend is already here: radio personalities are considered a dime-a-dozen, music is at a very low creative ebb and breakthroughs are discouraged in the name of the almighty dollar.

You think I'm kidding? Do the math. Look closely at the trends in major markets and the really lousy returns (from an investor's standpoint) but very, very slowly gaining influence of satellite (maybe the satellite companies will make a profit someday!). Those in the radio business will tell you there is almost no immediate threat from satellite, but you guys tell us another story altogether, and there is an apparent boredom with the inexperienced people who are more frequently turning up on the air. If you're starting out in radio today, what are your chances of making it to "the top?" Free, local radio as we know it in the future will broadcast to those who cannot or will not buy into satellite. Keep talking about how great satellite "radio" is and you're putting most of us individuals who love "live," local radio out of business, and the only remnants of what we now think of as radio will be for the lower-income small and medium markets -- though local news and talk may well survive in major markets. Do you get it yet?

Re: Uh, it's about radio

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion... I get all the local news and traffic on Fox 4's Good Day before heading out the door each weekday. When I hop in the Jeep it's Sirius all the way. When I get to work it's Energy 92.7 from San Fran online. Back in the car it's Sirius again. When I get home I flip on WB2 from Denver and watch Will & Grace and Friends then flip on Sirius and hit the treadmill. Weekends are purposely local news free because I need a break from "who got shot last night in Dallas". Sirius blares all weekend either inside in the winter or poolside all summer. Thank God for Alt Nation, First Wave & The Beat!!!! AM/FM is as dead as rabbit ears on a black & white TV without a remote. Perhaps you should consider a career change?

AMEN! Well said...If you look to your left you'll see the Sat Radio boards...bitch there and STFU!<P ID="signature">______________
WG</P>

Re: Uh, it's about radio ???

Not talking about the problem will not make it go away. The Big Broadcast Barons are losing listeners because they don't care to spend enough to make their stations compelling to listen to. How often do you find people who L O V E a local station any more? I DO find a lot of people who L O V E Sirius or XM.
And why is it so hard for some critics to get their heads around paying for satellite radio. It's just like cable TV or satellite TV. It's about paying for more choices.
There SHOULD be a place for terrestrial AND satellite radio. The AM/FM stations need to localize and really serve their local audience, relating to what's going on in their backyards. Too bad the radio McDonald's are too busy worrying about this month's stock price instead of planning for the future. I guess it's easier to bad-mouth your opponent than to make yourself better.

> You guys are getting the point of the promos on Clear
> Channel stations and the Infinity "Free Radio" plan! Very
> good! With HD radio you may be able to tune in to perhaps
> four stations on each frequency. That's not far away. In
> each case it'll likely be free and LOCAL. It'll be the last
> gasp of radio as we know it today. Now, please try to
> remember that this website is about radio, not overpriced
> satellite receivers that have no local interest or flavor.
> Satellite is about the homoginization of the music and
> "DJs." Sorry to seem doom-and-gloom or burst your bubble,
> but imagine if all radio stations were network, programmed
> from New York 24/7. That's satellite.
>
> Oh, sure, satellite throws in as an afterthought some local
> traffic and maybe even some local news, but the urgency
> isn't and won't be there. Radio should be local and free.
> Otherwise in a few years almost all of us will be out of
> jobs and there'll be 50 radio personalities nationwide
> total, most all on satellite, voicetracking music for low
> wages and the "thrill of being a national star,"
> mispronouncing local street names and celebrities with no
> interest in local needs and concerns. Most of them will be
> recruited from outside radio. The trend is already here:
> radio personalities are considered a dime-a-dozen, music is
> at a very low creative ebb and breakthroughs are discouraged
> in the name of the almighty dollar.
>
> You think I'm kidding? Do the math. Look closely at the
> trends in major markets and the really lousy returns (from
> an investor's standpoint) but very, very slowly gaining
> influence of satellite (maybe the satellite companies will
> make a profit someday!). Those in the radio business will
> tell you there is almost no immediate threat from satellite,
> but you guys tell us another story altogether, and there is
> an apparent boredom with the inexperienced people who are
> more frequently turning up on the air. If you're starting
> out in radio today, what are your chances of making it to
> "the top?" Free, local radio as we know it in the future
> will broadcast to those who cannot or will not buy into
> satellite. Keep talking about how great satellite "radio" is
> and you're putting most of us individuals who love "live,"
> local radio out of business, and the only remnants of what
> we now think of as radio will be for the lower-income small
> and medium markets -- though local news and talk may well
> survive in major markets. Do you get it yet?
>
Interesting points. Problem though is,it's not radio now and the HD stuff? It'll be "biddness" as usual for the consultants,the corp stock holders, etc. Only a change up in the frequency. There will still be layoffs, short playlists and the aforementioned management still scratching their heads and wondering why listeners are leaving.

> Not talking about the problem will not make it go away. The
> Big Broadcast Barons are losing listeners because they don't
> care to spend enough to make their stations compelling to
> listen to. How often do you find people who L O V E a
> local station any more? I DO find a lot of people who L O V
> E Sirius or XM.
> And why is it so hard for some critics to get their heads
> around paying for satellite radio. It's just like cable TV
> or satellite TV. It's about paying for more choices.
> There SHOULD be a place for terrestrial AND satellite
> radio. The AM/FM stations need to localize and really serve
> their local audience, relating to what's going on in their
> backyards. Too bad the radio McDonald's are too busy
> worrying about this month's stock price instead of planning
> for the future. I guess it's easier to bad-mouth your
> opponent than to make yourself better.
>
AMEN EYE. You stated the obvious,however those in charge will ignore it after all they know what they are doing;).

Thank God for Alt Nation, First Wave & The
> Beat!!!! AM/FM is as dead as rabbit ears on a black & white
> TV without a remote. Perhaps you should consider a career
> change?

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. And when there's a huge explosion a few miles from your house hopefully The Beat will keep you informed about it.

Perhaps I should spend the next few years trying to get a job at a satellite network? AM/FM is not dead...it is making money. Satellite is losing money hand over fist...only about one in 1,000 people have satellite...just to put it in perspective. I was talking about the future, of course.

Radio is setting up HD, which hopefully will give much more choice, with several stations on each frequency. I hope you understand that I'm lamenting the loss of jobs among traditional stations; the age of young people starting out and developing in radio, as so many of us did, appears to be coming to a close and IMHO that's a real problem. That's why I just wanted to bring it up, to talk about it.

And what about this: how long can XM and Sirius continue to lose money? Should they merge into one entity, how will you feel if the merged company is purchased by Clear Channel and homogenized in the manner CC treats its local stations? Will you care?

> Not talking about the problem will not make it go away.
> There SHOULD be a place for terrestrial AND satellite
> radio. Too bad the radio McDonald's are too busy
> worrying about this month's stock price instead of planning
> for the future. I guess it's easier to bad-mouth your
> opponent than to make yourself better.
>

HD = More of the same, with digital compression artifacts!

XM is the shiz - I can program my MyFi to record my favorite shows (like Harlem, Opie & Anthony, and Doo Wop Sunday on Soul Street). The sound quality is above FM, and it beats hearing "greatest hits of the 60's & 70's" puked out of my stereo evert 3 minutes.

XM is worth every penny - until local stations are carried like cable TV, I see no reason to put up with mediocre programming.
<P ID="signature">______________

AOL IM: wnjoldies or jamminoldies105
CBS-FM lives at http://67.83.118.54:8010
Oldies Board co-moderator</P>

>
> Of course you're entitled to your opinion. And when there's
> a huge explosion a few miles from your house hopefully The
> Beat will keep you informed about it.
>
> Perhaps I should spend the next few years trying to get a
> job at a satellite network? AM/FM is not dead...it is making
> money. Satellite is losing money hand over fist...only about
> one in 1,000 people have satellite...just to put it in
> perspective. I was talking about the future, of course.
>
You have heard of the Cc stations in Minot, N.Dakota and the chemical explosion there a couple of years back right? They were VT,and NO ONE heard about the type of explosion or the call to evacuate until the local FD and PD knocked on doors. You also heard about the CC stations in Canton,Ohio when twisters were dropping out of the skies, yet the VT announcers were saying a "slight chance of rain". So if an explosion did occure a few miles from my house I probably would hear "IT" not heard of it according to the way radio serves its community anymore.

Re: Urban Legend

Here comes the biggest urban legend and lie in the history of radio. Read it again.

> You have heard of the Cc stations in Minot, N.Dakota and the
> chemical explosion there a couple of years back right? They
> were VT,and NO ONE heard about the type of explosion or the
> call to evacuate until the local FD and PD knocked on doors.

The true version of this is very different.

Responsibility for activating the EAS in that area was entirely in the hands of the local authorities, who had been trined to activate the system on demand. Instead, some reject from the movie, "Fargo," called the _request line_ they found in the phone book.

The station could, of course, have broadcst a message were it manned. However, that was not the station's duty per the EAS rules and procedures. The local Civil Defense and emergency folks were supposed to do this, but seem to have forgotten how.

In any case, the emergency was at 2 AM. How many people do you think are listeneing to the radio at 2 AM in a small market in mostly rural South Dakota?

In the past, all stations in that market signed off at night. With the advances in technology, they were kept on, and available for EAS activation. EAS can not turn a station on, but a station that is on can broadcast a remote activation.

It is interesting how permeated this thread and the one above it are with things some posters wish were true, but which simply are not.

This is one of those blatent untruths... but let's blame Clear Channel for something on which it was blameless and actually doing more than it needed to do. Such is the mentality of a lynch mob.

Minot, WHERE??

> Responsibility for activating the EAS in that area was
> entirely in the hands of the local authorities, who had been
> trined to activate the system on demand. Instead, some
> reject from the movie, "Fargo," called the _request line_
> they found in the phone book.

And, of course ALL request lines are ALWAYS answered, right? Ha. (Then why does Telos put a "busy all" button on their hybrids?

> The station could, of course, have broadcst a message were
> it manned.

And leave itself open to every idiot that might call. Just like those that call fast-food joints to have management strip-search employees "right away."

> In any case, the emergency was at 2 AM. How many people do
> you think are listeneing to the radio at 2 AM in a small
> market in mostly rural South Dakota?

Dunno. Minot's almost 200 miles away from South Dakota.

> This is one of those blatent untruths... but let's blame
> Clear Channel for something on which it was blameless and
> actually doing more than it needed to do. Such is the
> mentality of a lynch mob.

True.

And even if the fault *did* lie with the radio station in Minot, it sure as hell wouldn't have been a Clear Channel policy.

Huge expolsion

> >
> > Of course you're entitled to your opinion. And when
> there's
> > a huge explosion a few miles from your house hopefully The
>
> > Beat will keep you informed about it.
> >
Um, I doubt most terrerstrial D/FW music stations would do that anyway. I am always connected to a PC and can check nbc5i.com etc. As far as severe weather -try signing up for CBS11 severe weather alert emails. They provide up-to-date alerts from the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. Another point is that I live in Fort Worth and if there were an explosion or severe weather in my area it would be old news by the time all of the North Dallas radio clusters mentioned it, if at all.

Re: Minot, ¿Louisiana?

>
> > In any case, the emergency was at 2 AM. How many people do
>
> > you think are listeneing to the radio at 2 AM in a small
> > market in mostly rural South Dakota?
>
> Dunno. Minot's almost 200 miles away from South Dakota.

It was getting really cold, so I moved it a couple of hundred miles south. My bad.

Funny, Minot is in the same neck of the woods as Pembina, ND, where Gordon McLendon had a station for many years, serving Winnipeg.

Re: Minot, WHERE??

> > Responsibility for activating the EAS in that area was
> > entirely in the hands of the local authorities, who had
> been
> > trined to activate the system on demand. Instead, some
> > reject from the movie, "Fargo," called the _request line_
> > they found in the phone book.
>
> And, of course ALL request lines are ALWAYS answered, right?
> Ha. (Then why does Telos put a "busy all" button on their
> hybrids?
>
> > The station could, of course, have broadcst a message were
>
> > it manned.
>
> And leave itself open to every idiot that might call. Just
> like those that call fast-food joints to have management
> strip-search employees "right away."
>
> > In any case, the emergency was at 2 AM. How many people do
>
> > you think are listeneing to the radio at 2 AM in a small
> > market in mostly rural South Dakota?
>
> Dunno. Minot's almost 200 miles away from South Dakota.
>
> > This is one of those blatent untruths... but let's blame
> > Clear Channel for something on which it was blameless and
> > actually doing more than it needed to do. Such is the
> > mentality of a lynch mob.
>
> True.
>
> And even if the fault *did* lie with the radio station in
> Minot, it sure as hell wouldn't have been a Clear Channel
> policy.
>
considering MInot is mostly ranch country..a lot of folks would be listening since they get up early up there. I know,a few friends actually worked there years ago and some have settled in the area for ranching purposes. Once again "know it all doesn't know it all".

Re: Minot, WHERE??

> >
> considering MInot is mostly ranch country..a lot of folks
> would be listening since they get up early up there. I
> know,a few friends actually worked there years ago and some
> have settled in the area for ranching purposes. Once again
> "know it all doesn't know it all".

The incident happened round 2 AM in deep winter. The number of people listening at that time would be so insignificant as to have offered little or no chance of alerting the gneral populace. And someone on a ranch listening would not be in danger, and have little ability to let people in the town, along the raail line, know.

The incident occurred "just after" 1:30 AM on a January 18th. Since it is real tough to plow and harvest and weed and fertilize when it is sub-zero deep winter in ND, I doubt many farmers were getting up at 1:30 AM. In fact, sunrise at that latitude is after 7 AM in January, so there would be little to do, unless one was having a ralationship with the farm animals.

The problem is that the EAS system presumes everyone is listening at all times. In fact, even with radio and TV and cable combined, in many times of the day at least half the population is not waatching or listening and would not get a notice of an emergency.

This was the probelem with CONELRAD and with the EBS system as well. The problem was not with Cleaar Channel.

Here is a report from a law enforcement magazine...

http://www.pscommllc.com/news/len_wrong_time.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom