• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Texas Mix 105.3" KTWL to be sold

notice how often hes replying to himself in threads.. and he posts here like stations might actually read it. plus he somehow knows whats going on in multiple markets

I would expect for these numbers to change and reflect the truth with the new Census. Beaumont/Port Arthur are still a mostly First Generation.

First generation what? Hispanic?

In fact, with the slowdown of migration that began with the 2008 recession, more than half the Hispanic population in the metro is US-born or grew up here, so that group is predominately English dominant. The market is estimated in 2020 to be 16.5% Hispanic, and of that about 50% or less are Spanish dominant. That means less than 35,000 Spanish dominants in the market.

Also remember that even in Mexico, not all the listening is to Spanish language music. In Mexico City, music stations that play all or mostly English language music have as many shares as all Spanish ones.

Nielsen does not use the 2010 Census data for ratings in 2020. They use the annual updates to the Census based on a statistical sample done by the Census Bureau and data from Nielsen parent's own Claritas. Those estimates have proven to be almost perfectly accurate, so there should be little change from the 2020 estimates being used now and the results of the 2020 Census, which will be applied to the 2021 ratings.

Nielsen updates all stratification variables every year, including total population, ethnic percentages, age groups, S/E levels, education, etc. They even update annually the percentage of Spanish dominant and English dominant Hispanics.

We have as accurate a population count today as we will when the Census is released. Unfortunately, the Census requires an actual head count even though good statistical sampling, today, is likely more accurate. In other words, I trust the Nielsen estimates more than I trust the Census itself. But the law requires a Census: it is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution and must be a full census, not a survey.

Last edited:
LOL I'm serious, that's what's going on with KEMA... I've heard it myself.

As for posting about multiple markets, ever heard of GlobalTuners? I've been using that service to listen to stations in markets I don't live in...

LOL I'm serious, that's what's going on with KEMA... I've heard it myself.

As for posting about multiple markets, ever heard of GlobalTuners? I've been using that service to listen to stations in markets I don't live in...

few global tuners have fm capability... theres none in kansas where you post and the only ones in texas are in san antonio

Meanwhile, I notice that the two former simulcast frequencies for Texas Mix have been put back into the table of open allotments, following the license cancellations of KHTZ 94.9 and KROY 99.7.

Both KSBJ and KVST were suitors for KROY at one time, IIRC.

Meanwhile, I notice that the two former simulcast frequencies for Texas Mix have been put back into the table of open allotments, following the license cancellations of KHTZ 94.9 and KROY 99.7.

Both KSBJ and KVST were suitors for KROY at one time, IIRC.

Wonder what they would be worth now.

few global tuners have fm capability... theres none in kansas where you post and the only ones in texas are in san antonio

I live in the Kansas City area now, if you must know more. LOL and over a year ago I used to live in TX and have traveled between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, that's when I heard KEMA. Unless tropo acted up and I was able to hear KEMA over the SA translator. I called San Antonio home until July 2019.

As for KROY and KHTZ, who knows? I thought KHTZ was still a signal though, when did that one get deleted?

I don't venture out to South Texas much, but KHTZ was on last summer. I remember picking it up near Edna.

Kind of surprising Roy Henderson would let go of those call letters. He held on to those calls and moved them around as he sold stations (107.3 in Caldwell and 92.5 in Navasota iirc).

KHTZ was on the air for a while now, they seem to be in full power since I can pick them up like a local out in Lavaca county.

From KHTZ's Wikipedia page:

"In September 2019, the FCC revoked and deleted KHTZ's license, citing its failure to properly provide financial compensation to KVIC for its frequency move. KHTZ's owner insisted on trading its silent station KJAZ in Point Comfort to Victoria Radio Works in lieu of paying roughly $100,000 to the broadcaster—an offer which Victoria Radio Works had declined."

So, it was deleted almost a year ago but is still broadcasting? I wonder what engineer got it up to full power.
I assume it's still playing Texas Mix. I have heard another 94.9 playing Spanish music during tropo in SA however, maybe you're getting them confused.

I have heard another 94.9 playing Spanish music during tropo in SA however, maybe you're getting them confused.

That Spanish station is likely KQUR out of Laredo. The station would frequently appear all over South Texas in the summer months back when they were known as "The Works". The station would sometimes make it all the way to South Austin before getting splattered by KAMX.

Maybe when KTWL goes away, the Texas Mix staff can move to Three Rivers TX and do something about Henderson's failbox KEMA that always has problems...
https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?713173-94-5-KEMA-on-the-air
https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?717742-94-5-station-wants-to-enter-San-Antonio

Doubt that would happen, as KTWL's PD/Morning Host Kenny Allen left the business around a month ago...so it's prob now running on auto before the new owners take over.

KHTZ was still broadcasting Texas mix, the last time I checked on Sunday.

It turns out KHTZ's owner filed a petition for reconsideration and a STA last year. In short, he's still communicating with the FCC, and KHTZ may be on the air pending the FCC's final decision.
Here's the first bit of what I found in the STA.

"THE FOLLOWING IS A STATEMENT OF ROY E. HENDERSON IN SUPPORT OF THE STA EXTENSION:

-- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL MATTERS FINANCIALLY (LOANS) AS I AM THE SOLE OWNER OF OUR BUSINESS.
-- I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN DO THIS AND IT MUST BE IN TEXAS, WHERE I LIVE.
-- I HAD A HEART ATTACK, AND AM UNABLE TO TRAVEL.
-- I AM GROUNDED IN GRAND RAPIDS AND AM RECOVERING FROM FURTHER HEART SURGERY I RECEIVED JUST LAST FRIDAY AND I AM BEDRIDDEN UNDER STRICT DOCTORS ORDERS UNTIL HE SEES ME TUESDAY JANUARY 7, 2020 AT 2:15 PM.
-- THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL HE DETERMINE WHEN I MAY TRAVEL.
-- I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THE COMMISSION TO GRANT ONE MORE EXTENSION SO THAT I MAY COMPLETE THE REQUIREMENT OF PAYING VICTORIA RADIO WORKS THEIR MONEY.
-- I PHYSICALLY CANNOT HELP MY SITUATION WITH A DEADLINE OF THE 6TH OF JANUARY.
-- NO ONE WILL BE HARMED IN GRANTING THIS FINAL EXTENSION REQUEST."

Hopefully he's doing better now, as heart attacks are never good...

It turns out KHTZ's owner filed a petition for reconsideration and a STA last year. In short, he's still communicating with the FCC, and KHTZ may be on the air pending the FCC's final decision.
Here's the first bit of what I found in the STA.

"THE FOLLOWING IS A STATEMENT OF ROY E. HENDERSON IN SUPPORT OF THE STA EXTENSION:

-- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL MATTERS FINANCIALLY (LOANS) AS I AM THE SOLE OWNER OF OUR BUSINESS.
-- I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN DO THIS AND IT MUST BE IN TEXAS, WHERE I LIVE.
-- I HAD A HEART ATTACK, AND AM UNABLE TO TRAVEL.
-- I AM GROUNDED IN GRAND RAPIDS AND AM RECOVERING FROM FURTHER HEART SURGERY I RECEIVED JUST LAST FRIDAY AND I AM BEDRIDDEN UNDER STRICT DOCTORS ORDERS UNTIL HE SEES ME TUESDAY JANUARY 7, 2020 AT 2:15 PM.
-- THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL HE DETERMINE WHEN I MAY TRAVEL.
-- I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THE COMMISSION TO GRANT ONE MORE EXTENSION SO THAT I MAY COMPLETE THE REQUIREMENT OF PAYING VICTORIA RADIO WORKS THEIR MONEY.
-- I PHYSICALLY CANNOT HELP MY SITUATION WITH A DEADLINE OF THE 6TH OF JANUARY.
-- NO ONE WILL BE HARMED IN GRANTING THIS FINAL EXTENSION REQUEST."

Hopefully he's doing better now, as heart attacks are never good...

if an sta or renewal has been filed, youre technically still ok to operate till its dismissed, denied or granted

I’ve heard Texas Mix on 94.9 during tropos on the 13th so it’s still broadcasting

105.3 is broadcasting dead air right now. I picked up 94.9 this evening and it wasn’t in sync with 105.3.

Edit: KTWL is back to Texas Mix

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom