• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tetanus

I ran into a bunch of metal that once surrounded a sewer the other day and cut my leg. The cut itself healed fast but now I am worried about tetanus. The metal was laying in the middle of the dirt (they're doing road construction) and I read that dirt is where tetanus is found. Last time I got a shot was 8 years ago and I read that they're good for 10. Does anybody think I'm OK or should I go into the hospital? I've been worried about this since it happened and I need opinions before I do something about it.

<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Booster won't hurt you.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

I imagine a lot of us need a Booster Shot

anyone who sustains a wound other than a minor cut - and especially a wound that is deep or becomes contaminated with dirt - should receive a tetanus booster if more than 5 years have elapsed since the last dose. If you aren't sure whether your wound is serious enough to require a dose of tetanus toxoid, check with your doctor.

Facts About Tetanus For Adults
What is tetanus?
Tetanus, commonly called lockjaw, is a bacterial disease that affects the nervous system. It is contracted through a cut or wound that becomes contaminated with tetanus bacteria. The bacteria can get in through even a tiny pinprick or scratch, but deep puncture wounds or cuts like those made by nails or knives are especially susceptible to infection with tetanus. Tetanus bacteria are present worldwide and are commonly found in soil, dust and manure. Infection with tetanus causes severe muscle spasms, leading to "locking" of the jaw so the patient cannot open his/her mouth or swallow, and may even lead to death by suffocation. Tetanus is not transmitted from person to person.

Prevention
Vaccination is the best way to protect against tetanus. Due to widespread immunization, tetanus is now a rare disease in the U.S. A combination shot, called the Td vaccine, protects against both tetanus and diphtheria. A Td booster shot is recommended every 10 years. Adults who have never received immunization against tetanus should start with a 3-dose primary series given over 7-12 months.

Symptoms
Common first signs of tetanus are a headache and muscular stiffness in the jaw (lockjaw) followed by stiffness of the neck, difficulty in swallowing, rigidity of abdominal muscles, spasms, sweating and fever.

Symptoms usually begin 8 days after the infection, but may range in onset from 3 days to 3 weeks.

Who should get Td vaccine?

All adults who have not had a Td booster shot in the last 10 years.
Adults who have recovered from tetanus (lockjaw) disease.
Adults who have never received immunization against tetanus.
All adolescents and adults who deferred their regular booster during 2001-2002 because of shortages of the vaccine -- the supply problems have been resolved.
Vaccine Safety
Tetanus vaccine and the combination Td vaccine are very safe and effective. When side effects do occur, they usually include soreness, redness or swelling at the injection site and a slight fever. As with any medicine, there are very small risks that serious problems, such as an allergic reaction or neurologic condition, could occur after getting a vaccine. However, the potential risks associated with tetanus disease are much greater than the potential risks associated with the tetanus vaccine. You cannot get tetanus from the vaccine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACT: Tetanus can be prevented with a safe and effective vaccine.

FACT: You cannot get tetanus from the vaccine.

FACT: Tetanus is caused by a toxin produced by a type of bacteria found worldwide in soil, dust and manure.

FACT: Tetanus is not transmitted from one person to another.

FACT: Almost all reported cases of tetanus occur in persons who have either never been vaccinated, or those who completed a primary series but have not had a booster vaccination in the past 10 years.

FACT: Approximately 11% of reported cases of tetanus are fatal. In the U.S., where 50 or fewer cases of tetanus occur each year, deaths are more likely to occur in persons 60 years of age and older.

FACT: People with tetanus may have to spend several weeks in the hospital under intensive care.

FACT: For adults, a tetanus-diphtheria (Td) shot every 10 years ensures protection against these two diseases.

FACT: Recovery from tetanus illness may not result in immunity. Another infection could occur unless immunization is provided soon after

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by miamimadman on 07/14/05 05:36 AM.</FONT></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom