• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tampa-St. Petersburg Radio Ratings: May 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 4/27/2033 thru Wed. 5/24/2023, age 6+ overall:

or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Notice the right-wing cacophony 860 "the Answer" is nowhere to be found, nor most of the other conservative talk stations. Only WFLA. And NPR has had more listeners than 970, until this book.
As a former longtime talk radio addict, I understand why. I don't listen much to commercial AM or FM anymore.
I like NPR better than the blowhards on one-sided radio.

Notice the right-wing cacophony 860 "the Answer" is nowhere to be found, nor most of the other conservative talk stations. Only WFLA. And NPR has had more listeners than 970, until this book.
As a former longtime talk radio addict, I understand why. I don't listen much to commercial AM or FM anymore.
I like NPR better than the blowhards on one-sided radio.
The unlisted stations may simply not be subscribed. Non-subscribers are not included in the free public data releases, no matter how high (or low!) they may rank.

Obviously, Salem doesn't subscribe.

On another subject, note how many signals just seem to be "wasted". Playa 106.9 is clearly a waste of that translator that's somewhat centered in the market. The ratings of 97X on 97.5 and 101.5 HD2 is a joke; and the SBS programming on 97.1 is nowhere near what their station in Orlando is doing. Now with that said, I totally realize that the demographics are way different in Orlando than they are in Tampa Bay... and SBS ended up with 97.1 with the purchase of WPYO. However, as was mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that K-Love would snatch that signal up if offered. I just find it hard to believe that besides 92.5 Maxima.... that 97.1, 106.5, and 106.9 are all justified doing what they're doing.

And what about these four: 93.3 FLZ, Wild 94.1, 95.7 The Beat, and Hot 101.5. Can all four of these full market signals actually survive in the current formats? Again, I realize things behind the scenes are at play here and it's cluster sales programming so to speak and clearance of National shows... but what gives? Seems to me that CMG could be doing something else on 101.5 and what if iHeart moved WFLA or even Rumba to 95.7? Just curious about what others think.

970 was on this patchwork of translators that hardy reach the market. I doubt most car listeners would keep up with changing the frequencies to find the mostly right wing syndicated programming, which is available in every other market.

I am very happy to see 98ROCK perform as well as it is!

WFLZ appears to be recovering.

The station whose ratings are in the toilet (depending on demo breakouts) appears to be 95.7 The Beat. Perhaps iHM should consider making the playlist more amenable to gainfully employed adults.

At some point, one would assume one of their spoken word stations - if not both - will need a full power FM home to remain competitive. Personally, I'd like to see WDAE relocate from the puny 95.3 translator to 95.7.

The station whose ratings are in the toilet (depending on demo breakouts) appears to be 95.7 The Beat. Perhaps iHM should consider making the playlist more amenable to gainfully employed adults.

Yes, that would make ratings sense, however they skewed it younger a few years ago to knock down WLLD a few pegs, so WFLZ would look better. So now instead of 95.7 being a competitive signal, it’s just a flanker.

Congrats to those higher in the trends lately.

Meanwhile...
  • 106.5+its Tampa translator continues to be a basement dweller. (When WTMP AM is grabbing more ears than your rimshot FM service, what's the point?)
  • "Hot and Beat" -- Describes not only two radio stations, but the judged appearance given by the numbers both are getting lately.
  • FLZ wasn't too far behind them, but managed to perk up a little bit.
  • An automated Sunny 97.1 classic hits jukebox would probably grab more listeners than El Zol has been. (But anything at 97.1 in Tampa* is just history doomed to repeat itself)
  • 97X on the other hand, has the ratings to warrant the translator its been relegated to.
*at least on paper

A change (perhaps a couple) seems due in Tampa FM radio. Even if its just a retooling. Something's gotta give.
Just my thoughts.

Byron

One thing I’ve learned is that you can’t judge Spanish language stations by their ratings. Others can possibly explain this better than I can, but these formats have loyal advertisers, most of which do not advertise on English language stations. In other words, they make more money than their overall 6+ numbers would indicate.

As for 97X, I’m not sure if that comment was in jest, or if I’m misinterpreting it, but they have a whopping 0.1 share.

One thing I’ve learned is that you can’t judge Spanish language stations by their ratings. Others can possibly explain this better than I can, but these formats have loyal advertisers, most of which do not advertise on English language stations. In other words, they make more money than their overall 6+ numbers would indicate.
Curious if that is the case here; if anyone's aware or knows the back story behind what keeps Rumba floating in the Bay, etc.
As for 97X, I’m not sure if that comment was in jest, or if I’m misinterpreting it, but they have a whopping 0.1 share.
Yeah, my sarcasm. In their listener's (and signal's) case I suppose their streaming numbers are more helpful to their existence.

Byron

Curious if that is the case here; if anyone's aware or knows the back story behind what keeps Rumba floating in the Bay, etc.

Yeah, my sarcasm. In their listener's (and signal's) case I suppose their streaming numbers are more helpful to their existence.

Byron
In regards to 97X signal the WWRM HD2 channel was working for me going up to Spring Hill at least. Was pretty happy seems they have a good reach to those who find it or are able to access it in their vehicles.
⚡⚡

There is an additional factor beyond local and loyal accounts. And that is that many larger and national advertisers have separate Hispanic market budgets and they buy local Hispanic stations without comparing them to the English language stations.

This is why a Spanish language FM in Philadelphia that gets, perhaps, a 2 share, can sell like it had a 3+ share.

Back
Top Bottom