• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TAMPA BAYS JACK 100.7?

N

newsguy92

mix dj's have been reading promos that say nancy and mike have a BIG announcement november 1st and you dont know "jack". wonder what the big news could be?

> mix dj's have been reading promos that say nancy and mike
> have a BIG announcement november 1st and you dont know
> "jack". wonder what the big news could be?
>
Knowing radio stations, it could practically mean anything. Even though they're dropping in "Jack" as part of a hint, it may end up being a red herring.

My guess is not Jack

Don't forget...the JACK-FM trademark is licensed to Infinity. Mix 100.7 is owned by Clear Channel. While CC has programmed Variety Hits, they have not flipped any stations to JACK-FM.

For the last several months, Mix has been having "Whatever Weekends" and this past month had a "Whatever Month".

My guess is the last month they have been playing "Whatever" to prepare for an all-Christmas flip on Tuesday morning w/ Nancy & Mike. My guess is Mix will flip to all-Christmas, and then go back to their Hot AC format on Dec. 26.

I could be wrong - but I just don't see CC flipping Mix right now, and Tuesday is the rumored 'big day' for lots of Clear Channel Soft AC stations to flip to all-Christmas. Although Mix is now classified as Hot AC, they were once considered Soft AC, and Mix is still programmed noticeably 'lighter' than many other Hot AC's.

Re: My guess is not Jack

> Don't forget...the JACK-FM trademark is licensed to
> Infinity. Mix 100.7 is owned by Clear Channel.

Though there's at least one Jack FM station in the US not owned by Infinity -- KFMB-FM in San Diego, which is owned by Midwest TV (co-owned with KFMB-TV and AM).

> My guess is the last month they have been playing "Whatever"
> to prepare for an all-Christmas flip on Tuesday morning w/
> Nancy & Mike. My guess is Mix will flip to all-Christmas,
> and then go back to their Hot AC format on Dec. 26.

Which, in fact, would be old news, since Mix generally started playing all Christmas to some capacity after Halloween every year.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rugrats1 on 10/30/05 05:23 AM.</FONT></P>

> My guess is the last month they have been playing "Whatever"
> to prepare for an all-Christmas flip on Tuesday morning w/
> Nancy & Mike. My guess is Mix will flip to all-Christmas,
> and then go back to their Hot AC format on Dec. 26.

Maybe it can be along the lines of "You don't know Jack... Cuz his name is Nick... Saint Nick..."<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

correction...

> Don't forget...the JACK-FM trademark is licensed to
> Infinity.

That is incorrect. It is licensed to Sparknet Communication which is a consulting firm. If you pay them, you can use it.

ABOUT SPARKNET COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.

SparkNet Communications L.P., based in Vancouver, Canada, is the owner of the groundbreaking JACK FM™ radio format. SparkNet's unique Jack-FM™ branded programming package, with its expanded playlist and irreverent attitude, is widely recognized as one of the most successful radio format launches in modern history. Jack-FM stations have an eclectic mix of genres resulting in "Train-Wreck" music programming-musical sequences utilizing a broad variety of songs and styles. The format was a direct reaction to listeners' demands for a more diverse and engaging musical mix than is found on tightly formatted mainstream radio.

Could be "Jack", as in Jack 0 Lantern although Halloween will be over and Christmas will be in the air. I doubt they would announce a format shift as a major announcement. Besides, the name "Mix" aint going anywhere. Based on past years and the history of other CC Tampa station marketing... I'd bank on either a contest or upcoming concert. CC has a habit of promoting "station sponsored" or "produced" concert events months in advance and also makes their announcements a big deal. Think of the Livestocks, Starfests, and FLZ produced shows of the past.

I've been looking forward to seeing what happens at Mix when this 'Whatever Month' finished. The last period of the summer ratings saw them fall by .1, meaning their ratings saw no significant upturn as a result of the added variety (if that's a fair assessment? I'm not ratings expert). Even throughout the month the music has changed, and I've enjoyed it recently now they've cut the 'novelty' records. The last few weeks has been a Hot/Upbeat AC hybrid, and I've enjoyed it. I kind of expected them to use this month as a launch pad to widen the variety whilst maintaining their softer-edged Hot AC status.

Am I right in thinking that Mix didn't go all Christmas until December 24th last year, and in the few years before that not until after Thanksgiving? All Christmas on November 1st would be a significant change!

> Could be "Jack", as in Jack 0 Lantern although Halloween
> will be over and Christmas will be in the air. I doubt they
> would announce a format shift as a major announcement.
> Besides, the name "Mix" aint going anywhere. Based on past
> years and the history of other CC Tampa station marketing...
> I'd bank on either a contest or upcoming concert. CC has a
> habit of promoting "station sponsored" or "produced" concert
> events months in advance and also makes their announcements
> a big deal. Think of the Livestocks, Starfests, and FLZ
> produced shows of the past.

<P ID="signature">______________
Owen</P>

> I've been looking forward to seeing what happens at Mix when
> this 'Whatever Month' finished. The last period of the
> summer ratings saw them fall by .1, meaning their ratings
> saw no significant upturn as a result of the added variety
> (if that's a fair assessment? I'm not ratings expert). Even
> throughout the month the music has changed, and I've enjoyed
> it recently now they've cut the 'novelty' records. The last
> few weeks has been a Hot/Upbeat AC hybrid, and I've enjoyed
> it. I kind of expected them to use this month as a launch
> pad to widen the variety whilst maintaining their
> softer-edged Hot AC status.
>
> Am I right in thinking that Mix didn't go all Christmas
> until December 24th last year, and in the few years before
> that not until after Thanksgiving? All Christmas on November
> 1st would be a significant change!

Last year, Mix did go all Christmas after Thanksgiving, but it was only available on its website via streaming audio. In the past, they have gone all-Christmas over-the-air after Thanksgiving.

> > I've been looking forward to seeing what happens at Mix
> when
> > this 'Whatever Month' finished. The last period of the
> > summer ratings saw them fall by .1, meaning their ratings
> > saw no significant upturn as a result of the added variety
>
> > (if that's a fair assessment? I'm not ratings expert).
> Even
> > throughout the month the music has changed, and I've
> enjoyed
> > it recently now they've cut the 'novelty' records. The
> last
> > few weeks has been a Hot/Upbeat AC hybrid, and I've
> enjoyed
> > it. I kind of expected them to use this month as a launch
> > pad to widen the variety whilst maintaining their
> > softer-edged Hot AC status.
> >
> > Am I right in thinking that Mix didn't go all Christmas
> > until December 24th last year, and in the few years before
>
> > that not until after Thanksgiving? All Christmas on
> November
> > 1st would be a significant change!
>
>
> Last year, Mix did go all Christmas after Thanksgiving, but
> it was only available on its website via streaming audio.
> In the past, they have gone all-Christmas over-the-air after
> Thanksgiving.

> If they want to play Jack music, I don't care as long as they keep the personalities. THere are enough stations in this town with no personality.

It's A No-Repeat Workday

The BIG annoucement was a No-Repeat 8-5 workday. Seems they're going to slip in more variety from now on, without making such a big deal about it perhaps? Seems like a sensible approach to me, so long as they continue as they have for the past few weeks, when the music has been varied but well programmed.<P ID="signature">______________
Owen</P>

Re: It's A No-Repeat Workday

This is virtually the same thing Mix 106.5 WMVX/Cleveland started this past spring/early summer. A mix of a Hot AC/Variety Hits format with a no repeat 8-5 work day. Station sounds good, IMO. Not a straight up JACK, but more variety than the average HAC.

> The BIG annoucement was a No-Repeat 8-5 workday. Seems
> they're going to slip in more variety from now on, without
> making such a big deal about it perhaps? Seems like a
> sensible approach to me, so long as they continue as they
> have for the past few weeks, when the music has been varied
> but well programmed.
>

>> The BIG annoucement was a No-Repeat 8-5 workday.<<

Back in the 1980's in New York there was a rock station that had the saying "Everyday is a no repeat day". Their competition countered them with a sweeper making fun of them by saying "Were just shuffling around the songs we played yesterday to bring you a no repeat day today"

> >> The BIG annoucement was a No-Repeat 8-5 workday.
>
A long long time ago 95YNF did this. Before they went away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom