• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Syndication Shuffle

If memory serves, there was a shuffle in the Quad Cities. In 1997, Rosie O'Donnell moved from WHBF-TV to WQAD-TV, and the former got Regis and Kathie Lee. Ironically, Live returned to the latter in 2007!

Our market (Milwaukee) hasn't really had a major syndication shuffle since '05, when Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! moved from WTMJ to WDJT. Next year's probably gonna be a huge one, when WISN loses Oprah. The Dr. Oz Show and The Ellen DeGeneres Show's contracts with WDJT expire after the 2010-2011 season and I could see one of the two moving to WISN if they don't launch a 4pm newscast.

The only change I know of in Chicago will be with Jerry Springer. After 12 or 13 years with Fox Chicago (both on WFLD & sister station WPWR-TV), WCIU is gonna carry his show in September.

I agree, Capemill. There really hasn't been a major shake-up in our market in the past five years. The "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" swap was HUGE and a definite affirmation of how far WDJT-TV has come since its scrappy independent days in the late 1980s. (It's now a CBS affiliate.) I could very well be wrong, but I think "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" were on WTMJ-TV since their launches. If not, both programs aired on the station a long time!

Capemill said:
Our market (Milwaukee) hasn't really had a major syndication shuffle since '05, when Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! moved from WTMJ to WDJT. Next year's probably gonna be a huge one, when WISN loses Oprah. The Dr. Oz Show and The Ellen DeGeneres Show's contracts with WDJT expire after the 2010-2011 season and I could see one of the two moving to WISN if they don't launch a 4pm newscast.

milwaukee_dave said:
I agree, Capemill. There really hasn't been a major shake-up in our market in the past five years. The "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" swap was HUGE and a definite affirmation of how far WDJT-TV has come since its scrappy independent days in the late 1980s. (It's now a CBS affiliate.) I could very well be wrong, but I think "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" were on WTMJ-TV since their launches. If not, both programs aired on the station a long time!

Capemill said:

Yep, WTMJ had both shows when they launched in syndication, and probably to take it further, they started carrying the network version of Wheel in the fall of '76 until it moved to CBS in '89.

Los Angeles:

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire moved from KCAL-9 @ 6:30p to KTLA-5 @ 12:30p.

The change came last Monday, one week before the show comes back for another season.

According to Wiki (so I won't believe it till I see it) the clock is gone, all lifelines except ask the audience are gone replaced by two new ones and the chairs are gone with Meredith & guest pacing around.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it, but I do hope the clock is dead. ;)

ajc_trw said:
Los Angeles:

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire moved from KCAL-9 @ 6:30p to KTLA-5 @ 12:30p.

The change came last Monday, one week before the show comes back for another season.

According to Wiki (so I won't believe it till I see it) the clock is gone, all lifelines except ask the audience are gone replaced by two new ones and the chairs are gone with Meredith & guest pacing around.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it, but I do hope the clock is dead. ;)

I hear they are going to actually do the show hanging upside down from swings...

Here in Phoenix, Family Feud moved from mid-days on KTVK to prime-time on KAZT. For some reason, someone at KTVK thought that sticking a double play of Recipe TV (one of Byron Allen's many filler programs) is prime to bring in more viewers in that time slot than Feud.

Eric Stein said:
Here in Phoenix, Family Feud moved from mid-days on KTVK to prime-time on KAZT. For some reason, someone at KTVK thought that sticking a double play of Recipe TV (one of Byron Allen's many filler programs) is prime to bring in more viewers in that time slot than Feud.

I just noticed the change here in Phoenix and watched FF for the first time in a while. I thought Steve Harvey did a great job -- almost reminded me of the original with Richard Dawson way back in the 70's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom