• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Switzerland opens world's longest tunnel

Switzerland yesterday won another battle in its national obsession to conquer the Alps when it opened the 35-mile (57-km) long Gotthard Base Tunnel.

Running roughly from north to south near the center of the mountainous nation, the rail tunnel will provide a direct link between Rotterdam in the Netherlands and Genoa, Italy. Now the world's longest tunnel, the Gotthard takes the number one slot from Japan's Seikan Tunnel, which runs for 33.5 miles (53.9-km) between the islands of Honshu and Hokkaido.

Once fully open in December, passengers trains will be able to travel from Zurich to Milan in two hours and 40 minutes, cutting one hour off the current time (the actual transit through the tunnel will take about 17 minutes). The Gotthard will also carry freight trains, saving a long drive over Alpine roads by truck.

Construction on the Gotthard took 17 years and cost $12 billion (about £8.3 billion or AU$16.6 billion).

http://www.cnet.com/news/switzerlan...t-tunnel/?ftag=COS-05-10-aa0a&linkId=25105025

And when you get to the other end of the tunnel you can go to the store and
buy yourself a transistor radio.

(gotta keep this thread indirectly related to broadcasting! :D

And when you get to the other end of the tunnel you can go to the store and
buy yourself a transistor radio.

(gotta keep this thread indirectly related to broadcasting! :D

LOL. I think things like this are fine, as long as we avoid politics and religion. I can see where the mod team are coming from on this- these discussions take a lot of moderation time and effort and don't contribute much to the main focus of the board which is obviously radio (and TV).

Some tunnels have repeaters inside so you can still receive at least some stations in the tunnel. Does this one? It's a rail tunnel, 35 miles in length and will be used by high speed passenger trains. Depending on operating speeds in the tunnels, passengers would be inside for 20 to 30 minutes.

Some tunnels have repeaters inside so you can still receive at least some stations in the tunnel. Does this one? It's a rail tunnel, 35 miles in length and will be used by high speed passenger trains. Depending on operating speeds in the tunnels, passengers would be inside for 20 to 30 minutes.

I don't know. If anything, it's likely to be for wifi and mobile reception rather than broadcast radio.

Some road tunnels in Europe have repeaters for FM radio, but it's uncommon to find them in rail tunnels. In my experience,even above ground, FM reception in modern trains is generally pretty poor.

LOL. I think things like this are fine, as long as we avoid politics and religion. I can see where the mod team are coming from on this- these discussions take a lot of moderation time and effort and don't contribute much to the main focus of the board which is obviously radio (and TV).

I never brought up politics or religion on this thread. Just returned fire at someone who thought I was an idiot who
did not realize that Houston, Texas was the 4th. largest city in the U.S.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom