• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sweeny Murti

Story with Sweeny's Tweet (embedded) about his departure within this RadioInsight.com link.

Brad Heller is also not returning as pre + post-game host on Audacy's Mets radio broadcasts on WCBS 880.
Seems management is making offers than can be refused.

My take is that he may end up with The Yankees in some form, either at YES or doing reporting for the team website and MLB. Lots of options for well-connected sports reporters in non-traditional ways. This reporter is relatively young, so if he's flexible in his employment requirements, he may end up making more money and having more control over what he does.

My take is that he may end up with The Yankees in some form, either at YES or doing reporting for the team website and MLB. Lots of options for well-connected sports reporters in non-traditional ways. This reporter is relatively young, so if he's flexible in his employment requirements, he may end up making more money and having more control over what he does.
Meredith isn’t leaving YES. Unless he goes to the pregame I wonder what his role would be at YES.

If MLB winds up having to pick up where bankrupt Bally leaves off, he may be find himself a stopgap or replacement voice on some team's telecasts, unless MLB is somehow prohibited from replacing the broadcasters hired by Bally.

It depends on what is decided when they file. That sounds like a long shot to me.

I think the sports podcast could be very big. Hosts of sports podcasts are popular guests on sports talk shows. Maybe WFAN!

If MLB winds up having to pick up where bankrupt Bally leaves off, he may be find himself a stopgap or replacement voice on some team's telecasts, unless MLB is somehow prohibited from replacing the broadcasters hired by Bally.
The teams approve the announcers.

The teams approve the announcers.
Right. But some are employed directly by the team, while others are on the payroll of the rights holder. My question is whether MLB, if forced by this emergency into taking Bally's place, must pick up the contract of the employee of the bankrupt rights holder at full value. And if not, does MLB have the option of putting someone who will work for less in the booth?

My question is whether MLB, if forced by this emergency into taking Bally's place, must pick up the contract of the employee of the bankrupt rights holder at full value.

Depends on who is named in the contract. If it's Diamond, and Diamond goes full Chap 7, then the contracts are void and everyone loses. Under that situation, the team could sign with someone new. If it's Chap 11, then Diamond needs the revenue from the games to pay the lenders. So they can't stop doing the games unless the rights deals are terrible. Diamond mainly inherited deals done by Fox, so some might be unprofitable. But they knew what they were getting into when they bought the RSNs. My take is it's pretty far-fetched to think that Diamond will just shut down and the teams will have to fend for themselves.

The NBA say their basketball games will stay on the air:

On the NBA side, Sports Business Journal paints a scenario that’s not as dire as some would believe; but could eventually be a cause for concern. One important thing for NBA fans to know is that no matter what happens, games will continue to air. That’s according to Orlando Magic CEO Alex Martins, who said, “In a worst-case scenario, our games will still be on the air.”

The Magic is one of the teams under the Sinclair/Diamond Sports/Bally Sports umbrella. Diamond Sports let leagues and teams know that they plan to “continue producing and carrying games even after it has entered into bankruptcy protection.” For what it’s worth, the NBA renewed its digital deal with Diamond Sports last week, but the NBA can walk away if Diamond Sports files for bankruptcy.

Sweeny's replacement is Justin Shackil from Jomboy Media, YES Network, DAZN and Yankees Productions (in-house stadium operations):

Justin will be the primary post-game host and call approximately 30 games when John Sterling is off.
(Sterling and Suzyn Waldman handle the pre-game show.)
Shackil was one of the several fill-in announcers used in 2022.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom