• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Super Bowl Halftime Show

If it even happens...
I'm praying we don't have numerous lockdowns all over the country at that time. Then you can forget any type of halftime...

They just announced who will headline the 2021 Super Bowl Halftime show: The Weekend.

I'm not kidding. Last year they needed two women: Shakira and Jennifer Lopez. The year before, it was Maroon 5, and people thought it was a little light.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...-weeknd-to-headline-halftime-of-super-bowl-lv

It's "The Weeknd," short an "e," because why? Ummm, semiliteracy? Dunno. But he is talented and a consistent hitmaker and has been for the past few years, and doesn't need huge production numbers to get his songs across, a la Janet Jackson or Katy Perry. Given the limitations likely to be in place on numbers of people who can be present on stage during the performance, that's a good thing. Will he keep people tuned in for the expensive commercials that will run before and after his show the way acts with longer resumes and broader appeal do? Probably not. But hey, just another reminder that 2020 will continue long after the calendar says it's over.

It's "The Weeknd," short an "e," because why? Ummm, semiliteracy?
Really? Artists are artists. He's by no means the first to do something unique with a name.

Dunno. But he is talented and a consistent hitmaker and has been for the past few years, and doesn't need huge production numbers to get his songs across, a la Janet Jackson or Katy Perry. Given the limitations likely to be in place on numbers of people who can be present on stage during the performance, that's a good thing. Will he keep people tuned in for the expensive commercials that will run before and after his show the way acts with longer resumes and broader appeal do? Probably not. But hey, just another reminder that 2020 will continue long after the calendar says it's over.

No one will keep everyone "tuned in" for the commercials. Things just are what they are today. And sure, no one knows how well a performance will come off until it happens--and that's under normal circumstances. Whatever happens in early 2021, it will be far from normal circumstances as we once knew them. But that also means judging how it all plays out should be done with that caveat in mind.

It's "The Weeknd," short an "e," because why? Ummm, semiliteracy? Dunno.
I just looked him up. His heritage is Ethiopian and the average English-speaking person would never be able to pronounce his name.
But he is talented and a consistent hitmaker and has been for the past few years, and doesn't need huge production numbers to get his songs across, a la Janet Jackson or Katy Perry. Given the limitations likely to be in place on numbers of people who can be present on stage during the performance, that's a good thing.
Don't know, don't care.
Will he keep people tuned in for the expensive commercials that will run before and after his show the way acts with longer resumes and broader appeal do? Probably not. But hey, just another reminder that 2020 will continue long after the calendar says it's over.
I just watch for the commercials. I fast-forward through everything else. TiVo has the option of letting people record the game and skip everything that is not commercials. Normally, if the show has the feature, you can skip the commercials.

It's "The Weeknd," short an "e," because why? Ummm, semiliteracy?

There was / is another artist in Canada with "The Weekend" already registered as a trademark.

So, drop a vowel and you have a "different" name and one that is more "clever" too!

I just looked him up. His heritage is Ethiopian and the average English-speaking person would never be able to pronounce his name.

Trouble pronouncing "Week(e)nd"? That's his artistic / stage name.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom