• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Summer Freestyle Explosion Concert

Dawn_H

Inactive
Inactive User
I just ran into this one on a few radio sites on the west coast about the Summer Freestyle Explosion Concert featuring: Stevie B., Lisa Lisa, Debbie Deb, The Cover Girls, Expose(featuring Gioia Bruno), Shannon, Newcleus, Nice and Wild, Cynthia, The Sugar Hill Gang, & Vaughan Mason. Anyone got any more additonal info about this concert?? Is it only exclusively on the west coast or is it gonna be a national tour?? Any info would be appricated. Thanks.<P ID="signature">______________
Dawn H</P>

Re: Nothing personal (Read Again)

> I just ran into this one on a few radio sites on the west
> coast about the Summer Freestyle Explosion Concert
> featuring: Stevie B., Lisa Lisa, Debbie Deb, The Cover
> Girls, Expose(featuring Gioia Bruno), Shannon, Newcleus,
> Nice and Wild, Cynthia, The Sugar Hill Gang, & Vaughan
> Mason. Anyone got any more additonal info about this
> concert?? Is it only exclusively on the west coast or is it
> gonna be a national tour?? Any info would be appricated.
> Thanks.
>
Okay, nothing personal was meant from my (first post), now I actually like Debbie DEB, But dont consider her Freestyle, as she was Before the Freestyle Explosian, and more of an Electro sound, than Freestyle. Newcleus had a cool One hit wonder called (jam on it), Yet, still not really freestyle, that was considered Hip Hop back then, even though it had a dance beat. Nice and Wild..Another one hit wonder, had a song called Diamond Girl,,,,,A little closer to freestyle, but still not quite. The Cover Girls....Lisa Lisa.......Expose....(((((was TRUE-Freestyle, but these artists were young Teen idols, and sex objects back then,,, can you imagine how old they are now, probably at least late 40s early 50s....As for Stevie B... He has had more hits, than what most dance artists can imagine now days, but still it was 20 years ago,,,Well 15 years since the Postman song A.K.A (because I love you) <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by midwestclubber on 08/05/05 05:48 PM.</FONT></P>

Re: YAWN

> The Sugar Hill gang is not Freestyle. All these artists
> probably have grey hair now, and the Cover Girls probably
> look like the Golden Girls by now. Ill Pass....

In all respect, I wasn't asking your opinion about the concert but if anyone knows any additional information about the concert. There are others of us who might enjoy the concert without having to be told a negative comment.<P ID="signature">______________
Dawn H</P>

Back to the original question

> In all respect, I wasn't asking your opinion about the
> concert but if anyone knows any additional information about
> the concert. There are others of us who might enjoy the
> concert without having to be told a negative comment.

Your question is welcome here, Dawn. What city is it happening in? Often these events are tied to a radio station, which ties your question into this forum.

And to set things straight, I saw Sugar Hill Gang at a large dance concert last year, tagged on to the end of the freestyle artists.

RJD<P ID="signature">______________
http://www.RichardJDalton.com</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rdalton on 08/05/05 01:18 AM.</FONT></P>

Re: Back to the original question

> Your question is welcome here, Dawn. What city is it
> happening in? Often these events are tied to a radio
> station, which ties your question into this forum.
>
> And to set things straight, I saw Sugar Hill Gang at a large
> dance concert last year, tagged on to the end of the
> freestyle artists.
>
> RJD

Thanks Rich, The concert seems to be a tour of some sort and is happening in numerous cities on the west coast from San Diego, San Jose, Fresno, Vegas and Phoenix. It is tied to radio promotions which is how I ran into it. I was just wondering if it was just a west coast tour or will it go national. I can't find a specific concert promoter that is promoting the event with no sight of a website or anything. Just wanting to know where else that concert might land since I find the lineup a good one and would like to see it.
<P ID="signature">______________
Dawn H</P>

> Just wanting to know where else that concert might land
> since I find the lineup a good one and would like to see it.

I believe that line up, or one similar, will be at WKTU's Beatstock, which is at Jones Beach on Long Island, and PNC Arts Center in New Jersey. As far as I know, none of the other dance stations have a "festival" lined up yet--- if they did, that lineup might go to some of those markets as well.

RJD<P ID="signature">______________
http://www.RichardJDalton.com</P>

That was rude. If you look at any documentary about dance music in the 70's you can see that the Sugarhill Gang bridged Disco with Rap. Do you think dance music started last year? Your comments are off base. Most of the artists she named were considered pop artists. Its comments like that which are killing this board

> > Just wanting to know where else that concert might land
> > since I find the lineup a good one and would like to see
> it.
>
> I believe that line up, or one similar, will be at WKTU's
> Beatstock, which is at Jones Beach on Long Island, and PNC
> Arts Center in New Jersey. As far as I know, none of the
> other dance stations have a "festival" lined up yet--- if
> they did, that lineup might go to some of those markets as
> well.
>
> RJD

Thanks Richard

I just find it funny that the concert is going where there is no dance station in the market but is being sponsored and promoted by Urban, Rhythmic or Rhythmic Oldies stations.
<P ID="signature">______________
Dawn H</P>

I agree, that was uncalled for. These acts played a part in Dance music history and a comment like that can really ruin a contribution to this genre.

> I agree, that was uncalled for. These acts played a part in
> Dance music history and a comment like that can really ruin
> a contribution to this genre.
>
Okay Im sorry guys... GAWD....Its just that this Freestyle stuff doesnt cut it anymore. I beleive freestyle played a part in the demise on Party 93.1. I personally dont get into these HAS BEEN concerts.. No offense, but when was the last time Stevie B had a hit,,, Probably in 1990 with that Horrible PostMAN SONG. Anyone remember that song

> Thanks Richard
>
> I just find it funny that the concert is going where there
> is no dance station in the market but is being sponsored and
> promoted by Urban, Rhythmic or Rhythmic Oldies stations.
>

Since those artist are pretty old, could they be played on possible the rhythmic oldies station?
If so, those stations could be run by the same company and they are doing cross promotion.

Re: yes they can

> > Thanks Richard
> >
> > I just find it funny that the concert is going where there
>
> > is no dance station in the market but is being sponsored
> and
> > promoted by Urban, Rhythmic or Rhythmic Oldies stations.
> >
>
> Since those artist are pretty old, could they be played on
> possible the rhythmic oldies station?
> If so, those stations could be run by the same company and
> they are doing cross promotion.
>
Yeah, ive heard Rhythmic Oldies play freestyle songs. They fit in better their, than they do on Modern Dance stations. Also,,, 80s stations are okay to play freestyle.

I just realized that I worded that incorrectly.
I know that they could be played on those stations, but my question should have been in regards to that particular station.

> > > Thanks Richard
> > >
> > > I just find it funny that the concert is going where
> there
> >
> > > is no dance station in the market but is being sponsored
>
> > and
> > > promoted by Urban, Rhythmic or Rhythmic Oldies stations.
>
> > >
> >
> > Since those artist are pretty old, could they be played on
>
> > possible the rhythmic oldies station?
> > If so, those stations could be run by the same company and
>
> > they are doing cross promotion.
> >
> Yeah, ive heard Rhythmic Oldies play freestyle songs. They
> fit in better their, than they do on Modern Dance stations.
> Also,,, 80s stations are okay to play freestyle.
>

Freestyle is not why party fell. you got to be kidding me. You have no clue! If freestyle is so dead why is stevie b, and Rockell just to name a few still in rotation on top 40 stations? These are the dance tracks the masses know. Most people dont know who Lucas Prata(and hes a friend of mine) who he is. Say the name TKA, or George Lamond and bam they know exactly.

> Freestyle is not why party fell. you got to be kidding me.
> You have no clue! If freestyle is so dead why is stevie b,
> and Rockell just to name a few still in rotation on top 40
> stations? These are the dance tracks the masses know. Most
> people dont know who Lucas Prata(and hes a friend of mine)
> who he is. Say the name TKA, or George Lamond and bam they
> know exactly.
>
Then why did Party Book in the mid 3s when they first launched, with an aggressive dance format. And the more Gold Oriented they got, the more they lost. Almost every other song they played was Freestyle. Obviously, being in Philly, and New York were it still has a strong Nostalgia factor it is going to work. And, in Miami, Well, one freestyle song an hour is okay, or anywhere where it had exposure on radio, but not everywhere. If it was so hot everywhere, than why does KHNC, KNGY, (THE NEW POWER 96 HD) seldom or ever touch the stuff. Even WMPH doesnt play that much Freestyle, considering where it is located. KTU certainly plays less now, than what they used to as well. European Dance stations dont play it, very seldom, maybe on a Netherlands station once in a while

> you are so lost.
>
I shouldve known better than post this comment here with all these East Coast Freestyle and guidos Lurking, I might as well have walked to 10th street and shouted I hate N-words... I would have been shot in the head, just like Brett did to me here. Some of you guys need to quit taking stuff so personal, you have no sense of Humour what So ever, I would never go clubbing with some of you.

Party's numbers went down cause it was stale. It took forever for new tracks to get added and then tracks stayed in power rotation too long. Forget about other stations outside the country. WMPH plays a ton of classic tracks not just all freestyle. I never said it needs to be in a power rotation. You cant forget about it though. You bring up Energy in Arizona how are their numbers? Ask Kris Henderson about classic tracks which includes Freestyle. Gee you loved Ipartyradio they play classic freestyle on their. It needs to be in the rotation in some shape or form.

Then stay in the midwest Id rather go to a nyc or miami club any day. Im not the biggest fan of freestyle but its part of the dance music scene and always will be. Besides Id rather hit the clubs with the ladies. Im not taking it personal you came in a ripped someone here that a question about a concert. You made a fool of yourself and you continue to do so.

> Party's numbers went down cause it was stale. It took
> forever for new tracks to get added and then tracks stayed
> in power rotation too long. Forget about other stations
> outside the country. WMPH plays a ton of classic tracks not
> just all freestyle. I never said it needs to be in a power
> rotation. You cant forget about it though. You bring up
> Energy in Arizona how are their numbers? Ask Kris Henderson
> about classic tracks which includes Freestyle. Gee you
> loved Ipartyradio they play classic freestyle on their. It
> needs to be in the rotation in some shape or form.
>
I never mentioned Energy AZ,,,, I mentioned Energy SF, which has good numbers, for their target.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom