• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Subtle WBEB changes

People either like songs or they don't. Nobody thinks September is a 70s song, they just like it.
Not even the dude playing songs for a birthday party in a vfw should be thinking that the average person cares about such things.
This one and the Audacity 1011 Ny thread has given me great insight on the political comments here, now they make sense.

People either like songs or they don't.
There's also "don't know it", which is just as bad. No one will voluntarily tune into a radio station where a third of the songs are unfamiliar.

In NYC, Classic Hits WCBS-FM leads in the 18-34 demo. In Los Angeles, KTWV, which has songs by Aretha, The Temptations and Marvin Gaye in its playlist, sometimes leads the 18-34 demo. And mentioned above, WBEB is currently tied for #2 in the 18-34 demo, even though it plays I Will Survive and September.
And that is because the core of the 18-34 demo is streaming CHR, Urban, Churban and other contemporary formats.

People either like songs or they don't.
Not really. There is a range there, running from "hate" to "dislike" to "indifference" to "like" to "love" to "favorite". And some songs change rank with each person as time goes buy.

In addition, when a song is brand new, and before the "average listener" has heard it 6 to 8 times, one can "like" the sound of it, but not yet like or love the song itself. There is an early stage where songs may have initial appeal, but mostly because they "sound like..." other songs the person enjoys.

There's also "don't know it", which is just as bad. No one will voluntarily tune into a radio station where a third of the songs are unfamiliar.
Nah, id rather that than hear the same songs over and over again. Just like typical classic rock radio. Great songs, but its the same songs. Play some album tracks, probably get more listeners. Pretty sad when 105.5 WMGH which isnt even technically a classic rock format, is smoking WMGK and 99.9 The Hawk music wise. Nothing to do with B101 i know, but its relevant to this comment.

Nah, id rather that than hear the same songs over and over again. Just like typical classic rock radio. Great songs, but its the same songs. Play some album tracks, probably get more listeners. Pretty sad when 105.5 WMGH which isnt even technically a classic rock format, is smoking WMGK and 99.9 The Hawk music wise. Nothing to do with B101 i know, but its relevant to this comment.
You know you can be an outlier? Your different preferences don’t change the norm.

Nah, id rather that than hear the same songs over and over again. Just like typical classic rock radio. Great songs, but its the same songs. Play some album tracks, probably get more listeners.
No station in America has likely been tested against its listeners' tastes and preferences more than WBEB.

AC stations don't play album tracks because any time they have tried and any time they research that possibility they get astoundingly huge negatives. Those listener come for their favorite, familiar songs... songs that are to them like the blanket is to Linus.
Pretty sad when 105.5 WMGH which isnt even technically a classic rock format, is smoking WMGK and 99.9 The Hawk music wise. Nothing to do with B101 i know, but its relevant to this comment.
WMGH is not even in the metro Philadelphia market area, has no ratings and was sold along with its AM sister 4 years ago for less than a 2023 Porsche Carrera. It was billing about $25,000 a month then... less than what a good Philadelphia cluster GM makes in salary!

Pretty sad when 105.5 WMGH which isnt even technically a classic rock format, is smoking WMGK and 99.9 The Hawk music wise. Nothing to do with B101 i know, but its relevant to this comment.
I'm all for more album cuts but WMGH is a trainwreck. I don't even know what format it is. I've heard them go from a 60's song to a song released last year. Meanwhile, the Hawk and WMGK are near the top in the ratings

Just looked up WMGH…what the heck is that? The website looks like something a second grader created in 1997. Good for them if they make it work for that service area, but…wow…

Just looked up WMGH…what the heck is that? The website looks like something a second grader created in 1997. Good for them if they make it work for that service area, but…wow…
Make fun of it all you want, but the rock music selection is superb. Personally i like hearing early 60’s thru select current rock tracks all without nearing no repeats within a few days. Its not a Philadelphia station, and if you read my comment again, this was in reference to another comment. Also, i live 80 miles away and spent some money to have a large antenna installed to get the philly stations because my local ones sucked. Now with WMGH playing what they do i dont even tune the Philly stations in at all unless im recording an aircheck for someone, altho, as a lifelong listener, i still tune in WMMR from time to time.

Last edited:
I'm all for more album cuts but WMGH is a trainwreck. I don't even know what format it is. I've heard them go from a 60's song to a song released last year. Meanwhile, the Hawk and WMGK are near the top in the ratings
Why is that a problem? Most people that like rock music like it all anyway. I can almost promise you wont hear the same song more than once in 2 or more days. If youd rather hear any station from any market play the same garbage pop songs over and over, be my guest. Radio guys are a dying breed. Im 33 years old, i ask almost anyone what their favorite channel is in my age group, half of them cant even name one.

If youd rather hear any station from any market play the same garbage pop songs over and over, be my guest.
“Garbage” is in the ear of the beholder, though it’s instructive to remember that the songs you hear “over and over” are what test well with the listeners a station is trying to reach. Because radio is a business, and that’s how the business works.

I really do understand that the idea of vast playlists is an appealing one, but since everyone’s tastes are different, large-to-medium-market radio simply can’t accommodate that. It’s not how radio works. It’s just not reality. The reality of terrestrial radio (aside from stations in itsy markets that rely entirely on local buys) is that listeners *want* to hear their favorites as often as possible. Research and ratings results bear it out.

Wow, you must be new here. There is a huge and vocal division among rock lovers for the various subgenres.

If there was consensus in the rock format, you'd see a wider range of it played on the radio.
New? Lol new to this site maybe.

Last edited:
“Garbage” is in the ear of the beholder, though it’s instructive to remember that the songs you hear “over and over” are what test well with the listeners a station is trying to reach. Because radio is a business, and that’s how the business works.

I really do understand that the idea of vast playlists is an appealing one, but since everyone’s tastes are different, large-to-medium-market radio simply can’t accommodate that. It’s not how radio works. It’s just not reality. The reality of terrestrial radio (aside from stations in itsy markets that rely entirely on local buys) is that listeners *want* to hear their favorites as often as possible. Research and ratings results bear it out.
I must say, i appreciate your actual answer. Its all about the money and pleasing the masses. That part i get. That doesnt mean everyone has to like it. In my personal opinion, the FM dial was a lot better 20 years ago. Most of my radio listening is airchecks that ive acquired from traders. I guess you can say im a bit stuck in the past. i did notice that small market stations are usually better stations (to music nuts like myself that is) im not your every day casual background noise listener. The year is 2023, i dont know how anyone can possibly want to hear sweet home alabama and dont stop believin every day.

The year is 2023, i dont know how anyone can possibly want to hear sweet home alabama and dont stop believin every day.
They don't, which is why classic hits and classic rock formats tend to play any individual song, at most, 3x a day. If you listen a full 12 hours, you'll probably hear it every day, or maybe twice. But that's not how 95% to 99% of people listen to radio.

The reason for that is that most listeners listen for short bursts. Maybe its someone who only listens to WMGK on their commute home, 5:15 to 5:40pm every day. That specific listener might not hear a repeated song for weeks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom