• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strange Tones From Alaska

I'm listening to a KiwSDR in from Alaska (one of the two near Anchorage), and I'm hearing a very strange set of tones centered around roughly 738 kHz.

Anyone know where these weird tones are coming from?

c

I'm listening to a KiwSDR in from Alaska (one of the two near Anchorage), and I'm hearing a very strange set of tones centered around roughly 738 kHz.

c

Likely something from the NHK transmitter in Japan, as I recall... but without a recording its hard to say what you heard.

Interesting.

I made a recording (both a normal one and I guess an IQ one), but I'm not sure what the size limits on attachments is here.

Once that has been determined, I will try posting it.

c

Interesting.

I made a recording (both a normal one and I guess an IQ one), but I'm not sure what the size limits on attachments is here.

Once that has been determined, I will try posting it.

c

you cant post audio here. upload to google drive or box or dropbox or something and post the link

c
The time of your post is roughly around the time NHK Radio 2 starts up each morning (Japanese time) with ~5 minutes of tone and ~10 minutes of musical interval signal.

Do the tones sound like this tinkly music?

Sounds like RFI. Too droning to be a ham mode, and 738 kHz is a long ways from the nearest ham band. Could be overload from a local station, depending on where the SDR in question is located.

It's definitely not a heterodyne from a 9 kHz channel station in Asia, heterodynes would be more singular in pitch.

How about a multiple of a USCG Differential GPS station? We once had a DGPS longwave station in the area (a converted GWEN site) that put out an ugly harmonic around 900 kHz. The harmonic was so strong the metro area AM could not be heard within a two-mile radio of the DGPS emitter.

How about a multiple of a USCG Differential GPS station? We once had a DGPS longwave station in the area (a converted GWEN site) that put out an ugly harmonic around 900 kHz. The harmonic was so strong the metro area AM could not be heard within a two-mile radio of the DGPS emitter.
I think most of the DGPS stations on LW are gone. I used to hear about 3-4 of them, depending on conditions, even barefoot on my DX-398. Not any more. But they did sound a lot like RTTY.

I remember those "whiny airplane" sounds on Shortwave. I remember asking what they were. They were not on the Shortwave Broadcast Bands. I asked what they were and heard everything from some kind of atmospheric noise, to transmissions from outer space, to jamming stations in the Soviet Union. Not one person said anything like some kind of digital or fax signal. I remember the WWV digital signal on the 3s and 8s every five minutes. I think I remember the "bagpipes", but thought they were just something they had before a broadcast began, like the Holland and Radio South Africa had. And of course the Russian Woodpecker and the five number voice sequences.

radio netherlands chime interval signal

Those chimes are really out of tune.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom