• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strange San Diego July Ratings - KXSN Remains #1 while KFI is in the Top 15?

Interesting to see the latest San Diego ratings. No surprise here: KXSN, Sunny 98.1 FM, remains at #1, down 7.0-6.7-6.3. Number 2 in the market is KGB-FM up to a 6.0.

To me, the big surprise is seeing a radio station from Los Angeles, KFI AM 640, move up from a 1.8 to a 2.2 to a 2.4 in July. That is the second highest of any AM station in San Diego behind only sister station KOGO AM 600 with a 4.5. KFI has equal ratings with two full-power San Diego FM stations as well: Alt 94.9 KBZT FM and JAM’N 95.7 KSSX FM. Pretty impressive for a station that doesn’t market themselves to the San Diego market (although I do hear the traffic reporters on rare occasions give updates on the I-5 traffic from Camp Pendleton into Oceanside and Carlsbad). What else is surprising is that the one LA station that occasionally has a reporter do stories from San Diego, KNX 1070, doesn’t show up at all in the ratings. Strange!

That is odd that KNX does not show. It used to be consistently in the San Diego ratings. And apart from KFI's ratings, the other two News/Talk stations had bad months. KOGO was down to #9 and KPBS was down to #10. Both stations had been much higher during the Pandemic, with KPBS often #1. Is this simply a decline in news and talk listening in the summer? Or do most San Diego residents think the Pandemic is over and they don't need as much news and info?

I thought maybe the North County was oversurveyed, giving KFI an advantage. But if that was the case, why no KNX?

I'm also puzzled by why the Mightier 1090 apparently doesn't subscribe to the ratings. Their latest sports format has been on the air for about a year now, and hasn't shown up in the ratings at all. Strange, for a 50kw (albeit directional) signal that was San Diego's #1 sports station under a previous operator.

To me, the big surprise is seeing a radio station from Los Angeles, KFI AM 640, move up from a 1.8 to a 2.2 to a 2.4 in July. That is the second highest of any AM station in San Diego behind only sister station KOGO AM 600 with a 4.5. KFI has equal ratings with two full-power San Diego FM stations as well: Alt 94.9 KBZT FM and JAM’N 95.7 KSSX FM. Pretty impressive for a station that doesn’t market themselves to the San Diego market (although I do hear the traffic reporters on rare occasions give updates on the I-5 traffic from Camp Pendleton into Oceanside and Carlsbad). What else is surprising is that the one LA station that occasionally has a reporter do stories from San Diego, KNX 1070, doesn’t show up at all in the ratings. Strange!
KFI had two abnormal weeks at the end of June and two more in the start of July. The last two weeks of July were back at the normal levels in the high 1's that it had since April.

KNX has not shown since January, and then it had a 0.0 in 12+ and a 0.1 in middays.

I'm also puzzled by why the Mightier 1090 apparently doesn't subscribe to the ratings. Their latest sports format has been on the air for about a year now, and hasn't shown up in the ratings at all. Strange, for a 50kw (albeit directional) signal that was San Diego's #1 sports station under a previous operator.
It does not even show in the subscriber data, while AMs such as XERCN and XEMO make appearances.

Maybe they are not even encoded?

>>>I'm also puzzled by why the Mightier 1090 apparently doesn't subscribe to the ratings.<<<

That's odd. You'd think priority #1 would be to encode and get in the ratings, even if the numbers don't look too good. Are they selling ads on that station based on charm alone?

Plus look at Audacy Sports Radio KWFN. A full power FM station that only rates at #19. And an expensive format considering it has all local shows on weekdays from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m., except for Jim Rome from 9 a.m. to noon. That's a big payroll for less than a two rating.

>>>I'm also puzzled by why the Mightier 1090 apparently doesn't subscribe to the ratings.<<<

That's odd. You'd think priority #1 would be to encode and get in the ratings, even if the numbers don't look too good. Are they selling ads on that station based on charm alone?
When you're selling direct, you're often selling on a combination of charm and the business owner seeing results.

If you have enough direct business like that lined up, then getting into the book is just an added expense.

Sports radio does punch above its weight billing-wise, too.

It does not even show in the subscriber data, while AMs such as XERCN and XEMO make appearances.

Maybe they are not even encoded?
Maybe those blinking lights are trying to tell them something...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Interesting to see the latest San Diego ratings. No surprise here: KXSN, Sunny 98.1 FM, remains at #1, down 7.0-6.7-6.3. Number 2 in the market is KGB-FM up to a 6.0.

It would be interesting to see what KOGO's morning drive day-part looks like, as KOGO is all-news from 5 to 9.

It would be interesting to see what KOGO's morning drive day-part looks like, as KOGO is all-news from 5 to 9.
It is #1 in 12+ 6-10 AM, and in 25-54 it is 17th.

In 55+ it is #1 in all dayparts.

I’m curious to what percentage of terrestrial radio listening in general is now 55+? First the aging Baby Boomers plus the trend to other platforms. It’s like watching AM radio in 1978.

Last edited:
I’m curious to what percentage of terrestrial radio listening in general is now 55+? First the aging Baby Boomers plus the trend to other platforms. It’s like watching AM radio in 1978.
55+ has lower usage than 25-54 as most stations are not targeted at that older demo. Similarly, 12-24 is low.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom