• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Status of WMMW's 102.5 Translator CP

Anyone know what the status for the CP of WMMW's Translator on 102.5 FM? It's supposed to be located on Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington, I believe. Could Full Power Radio be feuding with Y-102.5 the Contemporary Christian station in Manchester? They're like 100 watts, but they're coming in crystal clear on my car stereo in parts of Bristol and Southington. Doesn't seem possible. Maybe that's why I heard something about Y-102.5 interfering with 102.9 The Whale?

Anyone know what the status for the CP of WMMW's Translator on 102.5 FM? It's supposed to be located on Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington, I believe. Could Full Power Radio be feuding with Y-102.5 the Contemporary Christian station in Manchester? They're like 100 watts, but they're coming in crystal clear on my car stereo in parts of Bristol and Southington. Doesn't seem possible. Maybe that's why I heard something about Y-102.5 interfering with 102.9 The Whale?

WMMW is now WBOM, effective 4/28/20

Brad Davis

What is Brad Davis' status? Did he retire? Haven't heard him on the air in awhile and his name no longer appears on the Talk of CT website. It looks like it's Gary Byron by himself.

WMMW is now WBOM, effective 4/28/20

WBOM? Really? So are they going to make 1470-AM the flagship station for the BOMba Radio Spanish CHR Network? They can then have 98.5 relay 1470-AM instead of 104.1 HD2. Then they wouldn't need 102.5 FM. Otherwise I don't see the reason for changing the call letters after 73 years - especially to WBOM.

Then again in 2016 in Springfield they sent the Oldies format and WACM call letters from 1490-AM to 1270-AM and the Spanish CHR format and WSPR call letters from 1270-AM to 1490-AM. WSPR were the calls of 1270-AM since at least the 30s. There was no reason for that call letter change either.

WBOM? Really? So are they going to make 1470-AM the flagship station for the BOMba Radio Spanish CHR Network?

Just as a sidebar... for a station focused on mostly Puerto Rican heritage listeners, "Bomba" does not mean "bomb".

"Bomba is both a traditional dance and musical style of Puerto Rico. Its origins are rooted in the island's history of African slavery but today has evolved into a community expression of Afro-Puerto Rican culture." - Wikipedia

WBOM? Really? So are they going to make 1470-AM the flagship station for the BOMba Radio Spanish CHR Network? They can then have 98.5 relay 1470-AM instead of 104.1 HD2. Then they wouldn't need 102.5 FM. Otherwise I don't see the reason for changing the call letters after 73 years - especially to WBOM.

Then again in 2016 in Springfield they sent the Oldies format and WACM call letters from 1490-AM to 1270-AM and the Spanish CHR format and WSPR call letters from 1270-AM to 1490-AM. WSPR were the calls of 1270-AM since at least the 30s. There was no reason for that call letter change either.

The 102.5 is tied to 1470, so that's what it has to do.. 98.5 can do something else, such as offer separate commercials and stuff for bomba for the new Britain/Hartford area while 102.5 offers separate meriden commercials.

Just as a sidebar... for a station focused on mostly Puerto Rican heritage listeners, "Bomba" does not mean "bomb".

"Bomba is both a traditional dance and musical style of Puerto Rico. Its origins are rooted in the island's history of African slavery but today has evolved into a community expression of Afro-Puerto Rican culture." - Wikipedia

On its billboards, "Bomba" is the only Spanish word you see. In New Britain, the billboard reads "New Britain's Spanish station" and in Meriden, "Meriden's Spanish station." I assume that's because the target audience is first- and second-generation and either bilingual or English-dominant but still likes the music.

Brad Davis Status

What is Brad Davis' status? Did he retire? Haven't heard him on the air in awhile and his name no longer appears on the Talk of CT website. It looks like it's Gary Byron by himself.

The WDRCOBG.COM site stated that Brads name was no longer listed after April 23rd 2020 and that he was now living at the Connecticut State Veteran's Home in Rocky Hill. Apparently he had been in declining health for some time.
Hopefully he can get some proper recognition for his years in the Hartford broadcasting market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom