• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that covered the most states

Foxnet was available in much of Montana (outside of Billings) because of the lack of Fox stations out there. It was carried in Medford OR prior to the sign-on of KMVU as well. Their largest market was likely Burlington VT, prior to WFFF's sign-on. All of their non-network commercials were 800 numbers. In their earlier days, they carried some lesser-known shows from the 20th Century Fox library, like the short-lived western 'Custer', Bracken's World, and The Wizard, along with 20th Century Fox movies from the 1940s-1970s. They also had a double-run of Peyton Place on weekdays.
Later on, Foxnet carried syndicated talk shows and some court shows on weekdays, including Judge Judy. They only had one feed, so Fox programming was carried at 5-7pm PT and 6-8pm MT.

Foxnet was available in much of Montana (outside of Billings) because of the lack of Fox stations out there. It was carried in Medford OR prior to the sign-on of KMVU as well. Their largest market was likely Burlington VT, prior to WFFF's sign-on. All of their non-network commercials were 800 numbers. In their earlier days, they carried some lesser-known shows from the 20th Century Fox library, like the short-lived western 'Custer', Bracken's World, and The Wizard, along with 20th Century Fox movies from the 1940s-1970s. They also had a double-run of Peyton Place on weekdays.
Later on, Foxnet carried syndicated talk shows and some court shows on weekdays, including Judge Judy. They only had one feed, so Fox programming was carried at 5-7pm PT and 6-8pm MT.

Some remote areas of Montana picked up KDVR after Foxnet's demise. It's a little surprising KDVR wasn't carried for FOX programming in most of Montana when Foxnet was around.

KDVR was on C-Band for about a year or two when they were first uplinked. Then it vanished for about four years. During that time Foxnet fired up on Galaxy 3. They later moved to Satcom C1 (where the Denver channels were), then over to Spacenet 4 (where west coast Primetime 24 was...KOMO, KPIX, KNBC). KDVR returned to satellite in 1994. I'm guessing the cable systems were happy with FoxNet because they were a national feed and didn't air a bunch of Denver ads and news. Some of those systems were carrying KWGN and/or one of the Big 3's from Denver. Ironically, one of the most iconic names of Denver advertising, Jake Jabs of American Furniture Warehouse, opened two locations in Montana a long time ago. But they have both been gone for quite a while. The Bozeman location closed in '99, and I'm not sure when Billings closed. So for those living in rural Montana and watching one of the Denver stations, they could see Jake Jabs and his tigers during the commercial breaks and know that there was a location in their state!

For what it's worth, WGN, WPIX, WSBK and KTLA are still superstations – in Canada. They're carried by the two national satellite services, as is, for those with a timeshift package, every Canadian OTA TV outlet, plus U.S. network affiliates in Boston or Detroit (ET) or Seattle (PT). So if you're in Prince George, B.C. and want to watch the local news in Halifax, you can, and vice versa, then check the weather in LA. Looking at the channel charts, it adds up to a lot of CBC, CTV and Global affiliates. There's a similar French-language package.

For what it's worth, WGN, WPIX, WSBK and KTLA are still superstations – in Canada. They're carried by the two national satellite services, as is, for those with a timeshift package, every Canadian OTA TV outlet, plus U.S. network affiliates in Boston or Detroit (ET) or Seattle (PT). So if you're in Prince George, B.C. and want to watch the local news in Halifax, you can, and vice versa, then check the weather in LA. Looking at the channel charts, it adds up to a lot of CBC, CTV and Global affiliates. There's a similar French-language package.
I also think Canada still gets WPCH from Atlanta (the original local feed of TBS)

WMTW on Mount Washington NH (COL Poland Spring ME) had cable carriage in Maine, NH, Vermont and parts of northern NY, not to mention across wide swaths of Ontario and Quebec. And you could watch it over the air in all of those places - and even in some corners of Massachusetts when conditions were good.
Ahh! "Marty on the Mountain"...
I watched whenever we visited in-laws in Deerfield.
I always wanted to call Marty from Farnsworth Peak (9500') in Utah, and chat. Last I heard, he's living in Maine. Has a great book, too!

WMTW on Mount Washington NH (COL Poland Spring ME) had cable carriage in Maine, NH, Vermont and parts of northern NY, not to mention across wide swaths of Ontario and Quebec. And you could watch it over the air in all of those places - and even in some corners of Massachusetts when conditions were good.
I would have thought CJOH's channel 8 repeater out of Cornwall (nee CJSS-TV) would have impeded reception into far southeastern Ontario as well as metro Montreal.

That is very true-- I have an old 1997 San Bernardino County Sun Sunday paper, and the TV guide within has the main L.A. stations and a few more, IIRC.

Also, I have the San Jose Mercury News for New Year's Day 1989, and the TV guide within that one has San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento, and even one or two Monterey stations.
The Toledo Blade's TV listings in the mid-1960s included Dayton and Columbus stations in addition to Toledo, Detroit/Windsor, Fort Wayne, Lansing/Jackson, and Cleveland. The Dayton and Columbus stations were gone from the listings by 1970.

Also parts of Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands got the New York affiliates of the Network O&O's. WABC and WNBC News is seen outside their home DMA's on cable.
I never had cable in Puerto Rico that included either of those stations, but I left the Island in '92.
WKAQ-TV was only partially re-transmitted on cable... it was just a couple of shows. That was part of my "Spanish Tier" and it was fun while it lasted as I knew lots of the local news people and the actors and comedians in the TV shows.

I remember that the Kansas City Star used to offer TV listings for the Topeka, KS TV stations along with the Kansas City, MO\KS TV stations. For some reason, though, KQTV in St. Joseph, MO, was not listed in the Kansas City edition.

So did the Times-- I have the last edition of that K.C. morning paper from 2/28/90 (got it through EBay as part of a commemorative package that included that one, the last evening Star of the same day, and the first morning Star of 3/1), and the TV listings on page F-12 of the Times show that one St. Joseph station (KQTV Channel 2), and all the Topeka stations.

kctimestv.jpg

So did the Times-- I have the last edition of that K.C. morning paper from 2/28/90 (got it through EBay as part of a commemorative package that included that one, the last evening Star of the same day, and the first morning Star of 3/1), and the TV listings on page F-12 of the Times show that one St. Joseph station (KQTV Channel 2), and all the Topeka stations.

View attachment 1792
They must have dropped KQTV's listings by 1994, as that is about when I started reading their TV guide listings & I don't remember seeing them listed, at that point. I do know, from looking at newspaper archives on Newspapers.com, that in the regional edition of the 1979-80 Kansas City Stars, that not only were the Kansas City TV stations, that were on the air at the time, & KQTV listed, but so were the TV stations that were on the air at the time in Topeka, KS (WIBW-TV, KTSB-TV (Now KSNT-TV.)), Sedalia-Warrensburg, MO (KMOS-TV), Kirksville, MO-Ottumwa, IA (KTVO-TV), Columbia-Jefferson City, MO (KOMU-TV, KRCG-TV (Also mentioning their new low power translator, K11OJ.), KCBJ-TV (Now KMIZ-TV.)), Springfield, MO (KYTV-TV, KOLR-TV, KOZJ-TV, KMTC-TV (Now KOZL-TV.)), Joplin, MO-Pittsburg, KS (KOAM-TV, KODE-TV, & KTVJ-TV (Now KSNF-TV.)) & Wichita, KS (KARD-TV (Now KSNW-TV.), KAKE-TV & KTVH-TV (Now KWCH-TV.)), as well. Here is a listing from the regional edition of the Kansas City Star from December 30, 1979.

I also think Canada still gets WPCH from Atlanta (the original local feed of TBS)
WPCH is going to change owners from Meredith to Gray if the FCC and SEC approves the deal. I'm not so sure WPCH-TV will air in Canada for long given the pending deal that Gray has for the Quincy and Meredith merger.

I believe the fringes of Boston signals reach all six New England states.
Just barely with Maine. I lived in Old Orchard Beach from 1985 to 1987. My indoor antenna would get a weak signal of Boston's channel 4 and 5 roughly twice a week at night.

I never tried for Boston signals on visits to Brattleboro, VT. However, I do know Windham County, VT is technically in that market. Any hotel "cable" carried 4, 5, 7 (in their NBC days) and 25. One of the places also had channel 38.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom