• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that boast about not playing a particular artist or a genre, past and present

dcTalk from their mega 1995 CD Jesus Freak, Stryper, P.O.D. DecembeRadio, Switchfoot, Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, Flyleaf, Disciple, Creed, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Kutless, The Choir, O.C. Supertones, Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart, and Petra, are some examples, of the louder musicians I play and love very much.​

Dan <><

Last edited:
And what's wrong with that?

I wouldn't likely consider any CCM to be "acceptable" but I was surprised to find out I liked some early Amy Grant.
It's not so much that they don't like CCM. If they don't like it they (and you) don't have to listen to it. It's more that they accuse it and modern Bible translations of being from the devil.

dcTalk from their mega 1995 CD Jesus Freak, Stryper, P.O.D. DecembeRadio, Switchfoot, Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, Flyleaf, Disciple, Creed, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Kutless, The Choir, O.C. Supertones, Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart, and Petra, are some examples, of the louder musicians I play and love very much.

R.D.P., I remember when Switchfoot's "Meant to Live," "This Is Your Life," and "Dare You to Move" received significant airplay on Alt and AC stations about 20 years ago. Trouble is, I didn't even realize they were Christian songs until it was pointed out to me! (I have no problem with that whatsoever, BTW. I guess I wasn't really listening to the lyrics.)

I'd never heard of Flyleaf until Lacey Sturm teamed up with Breaking Benjamin a couple of years ago to record "Dear Agony." Lacey has a great voice which really stood out on my local Active Rock station because they don't feature a lot of female artists.

Oh wow, P.O.D. is a Christian group too?!? I've heard "Youth of the Nation" a thousand times, but I didn't realize that! That track was all over Active Rock/AOR stations back in the 00s.

Never heard of them.

Kelly A., you don't remember Creed? I can't recall the style of music you're into, but you've probably heard "Higher," "With Arms Wide Open," and "My Own Prison" and just never knew the singer. Creed's music was played on Alt, Active Rock/AOR and even AC stations in the late 90s and 00s. I always thought lead singer Scott Stapp sounded a lot like Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder!

Kelly A., you don't remember Creed? I can't recall the style of music you're into, but you've probably heard "Higher," "With Arms Wide Open," and "My Own Prison" and just never knew the singer. Creed's music was played on Alt, Active Rock/AOR and even AC stations in the late 90s and 00s. I always thought lead singer Scott Stapp sounded a lot like Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder!
Oh I remember Creed. In fact, I live mixed one of their appearances. They've become one of those 90's bands that fell into obscurity, probably because they weren't that good to begin with.

In the early 90s, it was typical for Hot AC stations (Even some Urban stations) to make sure we knew they played no rap. WKTI had just gone from CHR to Hot AC not long before these ads.

Years ago, before they merged with Westwood One, Jones Radio Network operated two country formats:
A contemporary format, whose positioner was "Hot Country, without the has-beens"
A mostly-classic format, whose slogan was "True Country".

It's not so much that they don't like CCM. If they don't like it they (and you) don't have to listen to it. It's more that they accuse it and modern Bible translations of being from the devil.
Not so much from the devil as not accurate. Maybe based on bias from the translators.

Although that argument has been going on for centuries. The King James Version might even have that problem.

Although that argument has been going on for centuries. The King James Version might even have that problem.
As you'd expect from a version of the Bible ordered by a king, it was of course politically motivated:

Wikipedia said:
James gave the translators instructions intended to ensure that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology, and reflect the episcopal structure, of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.

Never heard of them.
You worked in radio in the 80s and never heard of Stryper? They had at least one or two rock hits that made it to Top 40, and MTV. Or DC Talk in the 1990s? You never heard of POD? You were working in radio in the 2000's, weren't you? POD had massive hits, the biggest one being "Alive" in 2001 (and to bring this back to the subject matter of this thread, POD were rap-rock).

Last edited:
I'd take Barry Manilow over Nickelback.
I'd slit my wrists first, but if that wasn't an option then I'd take Nickelcrack and 3Chords down over the exact copy of them with the Holly ghost twist that's really not so positive and encouraging when every single song is Jesus Creed garbage.

They said Country couldn't bill in New York because of the extremist hatred of media buyers there would welcome a genocide of Country middle American patriots with their cowboy boots and hats. Today's Country music is painfully bad but it's better than Christianback, so if Nashville could remix their hits where they charge the words truck and beer for Jesus, then it's easy to conclude that the duped zombies would be mailing in their money to the 'educational' Country station in New York which would be much more positive and encouraging imo.

You worked in radio in the 80s and never heard of Stryper? They had at least one or two rock hits that made it to Top 40, and MTV. Or DC Talk in the 1990s? You never heard of POD? You were working in radio in the 2000's, weren't you? POD had massive hits, the biggest one being "Alive" in 2001 (and to bring this back to the subject matter of this thread, POD were rap-rock).
I'd heard there were some 'Jesus-hair band's' around, but paid little attention to them. Neither did the majority of secular music consumers at the time.

A mid-tier power ballad in the mid-80s? That’s not exactly memorable to most people. Those songs were all more or less the same…as were the bands.

A mid-tier power ballad in the mid-80s? That’s not exactly memorable to most people. Those songs were all more or less the same…as were the bands.
But Stryper got a lot of press in the music and non-music media because of their being an overtly Christian hair metal band. I think a magazine like "People" even had an article on them. I would think that anyone involved in radio at the time would at least had been aware of them.

I was aware of a lot of artists I normally wouldn't have been when I worked in the industry, because of the radio press, which had different genres featured as 'hot acts' on their covers. Also, the nature of my particular job exposed me to a lot of genres. I suppose if one was at a country or AC station in the 80s, a band like Stryper wouldn't have been on their radar screen.

As for POD, they were one of the beneficiaries of the post 9-11 song bans, as their hit Alive was positive in nature, and had no references to fires, explosions, air crashes, or bodies hitting the floor, and it became a top rock, alternative and I think it even was a CHR hit (the 'ban' almost killed Drowning Pool's career, as their hit "Bodies" was climbing the charts, and then, after 9-11, got no airplay).

After Axl Rose pulled a no-show for a Philly concert in 2002, WMMR's Pierre Robert didn't spin a single GnR track in middays for at least a decade. I don't think it was a station-wide ban, but Pierre definitely held the line.

Reason #456 why he's my favorite jock of all time.

But Stryper got a lot of press in the music and non-music media because of their being an overtly Christian hair metal band. I think a magazine like "People" even had an article on them. I would think that anyone involved in radio at the time would at least had been aware of them.

I was aware of a lot of artists I normally wouldn't have been when I worked in the industry, because of the radio press, which had different genres featured as 'hot acts' on their covers. Also, the nature of my particular job exposed me to a lot of genres. I suppose if one was at a country or AC station in the 80s, a band like Stryper wouldn't have been on their radar screen.
But that’s closing in on 40 years ago. A flash in the pan essentially.

After Axl Rose pulled a no-show for a Philly concert in 2002, WMMR's Pierre Robert didn't spin a single GnR track in middays for at least a decade. I don't think it was a station-wide ban, but Pierre definitely held the line.

Reason #456 why he's my favorite jock of all time.
WPET Greensboro NC (Christian) didn't play Amy Grant after she got a divorce.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom