• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations airing shows not typically seen on affiliates of their network

KCAL-TV in the early 1990's under Disney's Management aired Perfect Strangers the syndicated edition but at the time it was the first 4 seasons. This was while KABC-TV via ABC Primetime aired Perfect Strangers for seasons 5-8 in the early 1990's.

In the Jackson, MS. market, when Cosby went into syndication, the NBC show ended up on CBS affiliate WJTV 12 then Fox affiliate WDBD 40 then CW affiliate WRBJ 34 (before bankruptcy in 2012). It was still airing on the then Roberts CW station until the scandal broke about Cosby & the show disappeared for good.

Also, as mentioned several times elsewhere on this site, KIMA-TV, Ch. 29, Yakima, WA airs The Simpsons weeknights between 6:30PM-7PM & has since the mid-90's. NBC affiliate KOMU-TV, Ch. 8 in Columbia\Jefferson City, MO also airs The Simpsons on Sunday nights from 11PM-11:30PM.

Rob Nelson was a syndicated talk show that aired from 2002-03, but I believe it didn't even last the whole season.
1. KIMA, KEPR and KLEW all air The Simpsons at 7:30. It has aired a majority of the time since September 1994, which makes this even more bizarre, but reruns are popular in Yakima and Tri-Cities. Before CW+ got Family Guy, KIMA was ALSO airing Family Guy five nights a week at one point preceding The Simpsons. Now that's what I call a unique circumstance!
2. Meanwhile, in another state starting with a W, this time West Virginia, WOAY-TV (ABC) in Beckley runs Two and a Half Men every weeknight at 7PM ET, preceding Family Feud. This is a lineup expected of a FOX or CW station, not an ABC! Especially since these reruns are now over 10 years old at the latest, as Charlie's last show aired in January 2011.
3. Years ago, Ellen ran at an awful 6 AM timeslot in Memphis, and it was on a netlet (WLMT)! Or was it Nashville and WUXP? I can't remember. But I heard about it on this board and it just baffled me. Somebody getting ready to go to work already knew what she gave away for 12 Days of Giveaways that day...
4. When Cougar Town was in syndication, KOMO 4 in Seattle ran reruns at 1:05 (or 1:35) AM. This was an unusual timeslot and station for this show, albeit ABC did run Cougar Town to begin with.
5. WJFW ch 12 (NBC) in Rhinelander/Wausau WI aired The Flintstones at 3:00 weekdays during 1987-88 (not unusual for a Big 3 in a small town to run cartoons), but then followed it with The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. Instead of running Real Ghostbusters or DuckTales, which I have often seen on small-market schedules, WJFW used the 3:30 timeslot for a cartoon based on the talking bear. I have never found another Big 3 station that aired 'Ruxpin'. Guess they thought there were a lot of Northwoods kids who had him. Albeit WAOW did run DuckTales.
6. Going back to aforementioned KIMA, they and their semi-satellites ran Maury at 9 AM until 2003-04. This was well into the 'whose my baby's daddy' and 'lie detector determined...' stage. In St. Louis, I think KDNL still runs Maury to this day.
7. They also aired Cristina Saralegui's short-lived English talk show in the spring-summer of 1992, at 9 AM. Yakima still has a sizable Hispanic population and it's growing.
8. Also in 2003-04, you could turn over to KNDO 23 at 3:00 and watch BACK TO BACK episodes of M*A*S*H. An NBC station, in 2003, running M*A*S*H. And on KAPP 35, the ABC station, Live with Regis & Kelly was nowhere near "live", running hours behind the usual 9 AM timeslot.
9. And a couple more from KIMA. They have often ran syndicated game shows at the noon hour in between soaps. But Funny You Should Ask (prior to 2019-20) and Celebrity Name Game were recent examples and definitely odd on a big 3 network station, especially at a timeslot normally saved for news (albeit KIMA has not aired local news at noon for over 20 years).

Last edited:
1. KIMA, KEPR and KLEW all air The Simpsons at 7:30.
You're right, I got the timeslots mixed up.
5. WJFW ch 12 (NBC) in Rhinelander/Wausau WI aired The Flintstones at 3:00 weekdays during 1987-88 (not unusual for a Big 3 in a small town to run cartoons), but then followed it with The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. Instead of running Real Ghostbusters or DuckTales, which I have often seen on small-market schedules, WJFW used the 3:30 timeslot for a cartoon based on the talking bear. I have never found another Big 3 station that aired 'Ruxpin'. Guess they thought there were a lot of Northwoods kids who had him.
Other TV stations, like ABC affiliates KTKA-TV, Ch. 49 in Topeka, KS & KODE-TV, Ch. 12 in Joplin, MO\Pittsburg, KS & other areas with no Fox, or independent, stations also did this up unto the 1990's. KTKA-TV, in 1994, had Goof Troop (Also aired on ABC back in 1992.), The Flinstones & Full House (Also airing on ABC.) on between 3PM-5PM. KODE-TV, in 1993, also had Goof Troop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Flinstones, The Beverly Hillbillies & the Andy Griffith Show on between 3PM-5:30PM. Oddly, 5 years earlier, KODE-TV had Geraldo Rivera, Family Feud, Jeopardy! & a 5PM newscast from 3PM to 5:30PM. I also read , in 1993, ABC affiliates KHBS-TV & KHOG-TV in Ft. Smith\Fayetteville, AR also carried Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop & Star Trek: The Next Generation on between 3PM-5PM.

3. Years ago, Ellen ran at an awful 6 AM timeslot in Memphis, and it was on a netlet (WLMT)! Or was it Nashville and WUXP? I can't remember. But I heard about it on this board and it just baffled me. Somebody getting ready to go to work already knew what she gave away for 12 Days of Giveaways that day...
Wow, really?!?!? I think she aired on some WB stations (and some in bad timeslots... I think one station aired her at 8am) towards the beginning of her run, but 6am on a CW affiliate recently? That's crazy.

At one point, Philadelphia had two oddities:

WCAU (NBC O&O) in Philadelphia carried Jerry Springer at 2pm.
KYW, the CBS O&O, carried Sally Jessy Raphael at 4pm and Maury at 9am too.
KYW picked up the glasses lady after WPVI dropped it. And they were long a bit of a sad case. Were they the O and O at the point they had that show? Feels like it was before the switch, but the mid 90s is a looooong time ago.

There was always the weird case of KYW and WPVI overlapping for a week, somehow, with Jeopardy. Season 2 saw it move to WPVI in its 7 pm slot, but for whatever reason there was an overlapping week of reruns of season 1 on KYW in its 12:30 slot. Flukes happened sometimes.

KYW picked up the glasses lady after WPVI dropped it. And they were long a bit of a sad case. Were they the O and O at the point they had that show? Feels like it was before the switch, but the mid 90s is a looooong time ago.

There was always the weird case of KYW and WPVI overlapping for a week, somehow, with Jeopardy. Season 2 saw it move to WPVI in its 7 pm slot, but for whatever reason there was an overlapping week of reruns of season 1 on KYW in its 12:30 slot. Flukes happened sometimes.
According to this schedule* it was still airing on WPVI at 10:30am in 1994.

But, by 1996**, it was airing on KYW at 10am. So, it was probably right around the switch.

* https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/retro-philadelphia-tv-may-27-1994.736767/
** https://www.radiodiscussions.com/th...hiladelphia-wednesday-january-10-1996.708189/

All the times back then…kind of a blur. Doesn’t terribly surprise me they picked up a castoff to fill a time slot. They had some bad choices in there over the years. Crosswords, anyone?

At least around here, the afternoon cartoons aired on KNDO (they had Real Ghostbusters, DuckTales, Woody Woodpecker, Chip 'n Dale, a few others in the '80s and early '90s). They were aired in the 4 o'clock hour after Days of Our Lives, which they tape-delayed from the NBC west coast feed for years. Eventually, they would go away after K53CY came on, the low-power Fox station. They cleared all afternoon cartoons from Fox Kids and the Disney Afternoon. They were a little weird on scheduling - half of the Disney Afternoon aired in the morning (Tale Spin, Chip 'n Dale), and the other half came on in the afternoon (Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop).
However, I'm betting many Yakima kids with cable, and especially pay cable (with Disney), ignored some of the cartoons airing locally!

And speaking of tape-delays, KNDO tape-delayed the 'tape-delay' of Live with Regis & Kathie Lee for just about its whole run. Most west coast stations aired it live 'to tape' at 9AM Pacific time. Not KNDO. They were on at the noon hour - for years. That's because KNDO used the 9AM timeslot for NBC's game shows (Caesar's Challenge, Classic Concentration, etc.) and eventually The Other Half.

Most west coast stations aired it live 'to tape' at 9AM Pacific time. Not KNDO. They were on at the noon hour - for years. That's because KNDO used the 9AM timeslot for NBC's game shows (Caesar's Challenge, Classic Concentration, etc.) and eventually The Other Half.
Speaking of The Other Half - KXXV (ABC) in Waco, Texas, aired the show at 1:05 am. The show aired mostly on NBC affiliates.

Also, technically not related to the topic of this thread, but I know of another example of a station airing Live in a post-morning timeslot.

KSTP, at least for a time, ran the show at 4pm. George and Alana (for the 1995-96 season) aired in the 9am slot, followed by Mike & Maty.

Oops, wrong show. I meant 'The Other Side,' which was an NBC-produced talk show in 1994-95. That was the 9AM program on KNDO that season.
The Other Half, with Dick Clark, Danny Bonaduce and a couple of other hosts, did not air on my local NBC here OR in Seattle. It was on KAPP (ABC) in Yakima weekdays at 3:00, competing with Judge Joe Brown on KNDO, and Sally on KIMA.
In Seattle, that show aired on Q13 Fox (KCPQ).

I happened to think of a couple of others: After WREG CBS 3 in Memphis dropped MASH reruns in the early 2000s it was picked up by WHBQ Fox 13. Also Seinfeld reruns were carried by WPTY (Later WATN) ABC 24 in the early 2000s.

In 2001, WGTU (ABC) aired Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus at 5pm (following Oprah). WGTU, despite being a cheaply run ABC affiliate, did manage to air some top-tier syndicated shows (Live! and Oprah into the early/mid 2000s and Wheel/Jeopardy for the first 10 or so years of those shows' runs).

At the same time, WGTU was airing Extra at 12 noon!

Also in 2001, WFQX (FOX) was airing reruns of Star Trek: Voyager at 7pm weeknights, while also airing first-run episodes on late Friday nights as a secondary UPN affiliate

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom