• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Station Tag Lines

in the 80's WOXY Oxford Ohio was "the future of rock and roll." we were alternative.

you can hear the actual bumper in the movie "RainMan" (and then Dustin Hoffmann repeats it)

WOWO-A Great Place to Be (toward the late 70s, early 80s)/"The voice of 1000 Main Streets." "Radio 11-90" "one-one-nine-oh". WOWO never tried to be "Radio 12" or "The Big 12".
WCSM AM/FM, Celina, Ohio. "We put it all together" and much longer "We Do it For You"
WMEE Fort Wayne, Indiana. "The Magic MEE" (on AM), "Magic 97" once moved the FM.
WQHK Fort Wayne Indiana once it launched "The Hawk 1380".
CKLW: "CK Country", "Fun Radio 8/Radio 8", The Big 8. Never Boss.
WVWA Pound Ridge NY "NINE"
WMPO Middleport-Pomeroy, Ohio "There Buddy"
(last 2 are bogus)

"The Greatest Songs of all Time" - KJZY Santa Rosa, CA

"Music as Cool Now as it was Back Then" - KIXI Seattle

"Where Legendary Music Lives" - WLML Palm Beach, FL

At WEBN Cincinnati in the 90's we were "The Lunatic Fringe"

Our studios were in Mount Adams - we called it "FROG'S MOUNTAIN" our logo was a frog.

We ran a little announcement: "If you can't say anything nice send us a resume"

"SOMEPLACE SPECIAL" was a image / promo package sold to many stations by TM - Tomorrow Media.
I REALLY like the "If you can't say anything nice send us a resume" - great idea - I could easily hear some variations on this one.
Good old Tomorrow Media - they did have some good ones back in the day - I wonder if they are still going?

“If You Don’t Want It Heard on KTKT News…Don’t Let It Happen”. - KTKT Tucson, AZ

"Radio Free Tucson" - KTKT Tucson, AZ

Back in my Arkansas years, there was 1010 KRLA Little Rock, "The 10,000-watt voice of Arkansas!" This once-proud country station, which also was home to Paul Harvey's daily news show and "The Rest of the Story," turned in its license and went dark some time ago, I believe in the '90s.

The WMPO Portsmouth Ohio "Buddy" bumper package was a joke created by some (I believe) students at Ohio University Athens who did it for a class project. It was FAR more perjorative (and indeed obscene, and FUNNY) than described above. At some point, the owners of WMPO became aware of it (the audio bits were quite widely available thru the broadcast grapevine in Ohio; I acquired a copy of the tape) and were unamused enuff that legal action was threatened.

Allegedly there was a station in West Virginia in the 80's (?) with the call letters WJIZ. And (allegedly) they ran bumpers that said: Don't touch that dial, there's JIZ on it!

This was reported to me in the 90's by a fellow who worked there.

WHIZ Zanesville Ohio had no image bumpers that I recall but DID put out bumper stickers with the call letters. They often appeared above urinals in public places.

WHOK Lancaster Ohio was commonly referred to as "The Hacking Voice of the HOCKing Valley,"

When Screen Gems acquired Wheeling Broadcasting in the 70's they flipped the format on WWVA's FM to rock and changed the call to WCPI (Columbia Pictures Industries). The rock competition in the the market was WOMP in Bellaire. WCPI ran bumpers saying things like "Are you WOMPED OUT?"

WROA Gulfport MS in the early 1970's they were top 40 on AM and they jingles "The Rock of America". IIRC: Their Beautiful Music FM was "The Rivera of America"

WKAZ 950AM Charlestown WV early 1980's "The legend lives on". They sounded like the old chicken rock of the 1970's. Anyways the legend did die and WKAZ are now business news on 680AM. Their old frequency 950 is sports.

Last edited:
WKWK (AM) in Wheeling was top 40 in the 70's - The good guys.
(several of whom were later accused of questionable relationships with teen girls who were fans - a NEW definition of good guy)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom