• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star Seems to Be All Christmas

Entercom has shown dedication in its other markets to investing in and improving its heritage brands, and I imagine things will go similarly in Atlanta. All of that to say: McKenna has a big task in front of him.

I agree...an example is WNEW-FM in New York. The CBS folks had attempted a rebrand as "Fresh," but Entercom went back to the original calls and Hot AC format. So yes, I'm expecting a tweak to Star similar to WNEW, although they could also go in a Rhythmic AC direction similar to KTWV in Los Angeles.

So where does this leave 80s pop and rock — arguably one of the most popular genres of music ever — on Atlanta radio? Some of it has a home on WSRV, though it's all the Bon Jovi/Guns 'N Roses/Def Leppard stuff, not Michael Jackson/Madonna/Whitney Houston. The 80s already seems to occupy only one song an hour or so at B98.5, and I can't imagine this number will grow. So where will listeners be able to hear Jackson, Madonna and Houston — not to mention the countless one-hit-wonders — on Atlanta radio in the next decade? Time will tell.

Hence my earlier comments about where this kind of stuff will land, and why it won't be The River. The River NEVER was that poppy. River also has to worry about Rock100.5 on the other end. River is doing well with what they have now, so they have no reason to pick that kind of stuff up.

For years, B98.5 was the de facto 80s classic hits station (besides translator experiments like Journey 97.9 and extreme rimshots like Chuck FM, and I also have to acknowledge the classic R&B stations), but they've been moving out of that role for the past several years. Now, as you mentioned we have a bunch of format-bunching-up among Star, B, and Q99.7. It's an opportunity for someone to differentiate themselves if they can't do any better with what they're doing now, especially since CHR seems to have peaked and is heading downwards like it does every so often.

Hence my earlier comments about where this kind of stuff will land, and why it won't be The River.

A Rhythmic AC station would play Whitney and anything else from the decade that qualifies. It wouldn't be a decade station but rather a theme station.

A Rhythmic AC station would play Whitney and anything else from the decade that qualifies. It wouldn't be a decade station but rather a theme station.

This is interesting. They could indeed get into the fray and go Urban AC-ish, and yet they need to protect their Urban franchise. That decision would be logical in ratings, but where would they
be better served revenue wise? It could also be a huge risk. I would not take that option, but what do I know?

Another direction would be an attempt at the mid-aged numbers and stay away specifically from CHR, as that is something just downright hard to succeed with as we roll into 2020.
I still believe the current playlists of B and The River are disjointed enough to pull a "CBS-FM" energy move and get some decent numbers and bite into the same demos, which will become
more tolerable in the next few years as proof of the younger listeners not listening gains considerable attention. I am mixed on the Lite approach. I think the market is not "Florida" enough
for that narrow of a format. I also am not so sure they don't just change up Star product and keep the established name. ATL needs an All New Star to start a new decade.

I also do not see think a move toward country would make sense on numbers, but there are some interesting revenue potentials for the market with the format. Still, I am at a 5-10%/100 chance
on that move.

By the way, not able to spend much time on here this time of year, but did I read where someone said that, I think, Star is teasing a format change between Christmas songs? Any updates on that?

I think will19's assessment was spot on - Will, you're clearly new here (or created a new name), but either way, totally agree.

The execution of Christmas music on Star is small-market sounding. It's like they caught themselves off guard with the flip. The imaging is lacking, the jocks sound like they don't care and it was all too late in the season to make a splash. If another competitor gets a 2-3 week head start with all Christmas, you're done.

As to the "throwbacks" that are being mentioned in promos, much of that is the same music they were highlighting as it related to Star turning 30 in 2019. (don't get me started on that topic). Tossing in an early 2000s song isn't very "oh wow" for HotAC. Playing more 2000s and positioning "at-work" are all things Star was making feeble attempts at already.

Another point about any post-Christmas flip that hasn't been discussed here - if they are smart enough to blow up Star and create something new, will Entercom cough up the proper amount of money to market it? I doubt it. You can make all of the musical and format tweaks you want, if no one is listening to the station to begin with, you're dead in the water. Look at Rock 100.5 and Kicks, both have gone through some version of a "relaunch" this year and in many demos the ratings are worse. Star 94 was 16th last month, if you flip the format and no one hears you do it, did you really flip?

I think will19's assessment was spot on - Will, you're clearly new here (or created a new name), but either way, totally agree.

The execution of Christmas music on Star is small-market sounding. It's like they caught themselves off guard with the flip. The imaging is lacking, the jocks sound like they don't care and it was all too late in the season to make a splash. If another competitor gets a 2-3 week head start with all Christmas, you're done.

As to the "throwbacks" that are being mentioned in promos, much of that is the same music they were highlighting as it related to Star turning 30 in 2019. (don't get me started on that topic). Tossing in an early 2000s song isn't very "oh wow" for HotAC. Playing more 2000s and positioning "at-work" are all things Star was making feeble attempts at already.

Another point about any post-Christmas flip that hasn't been discussed here - if they are smart enough to blow up Star and create something new, will Entercom cough up the proper amount of money to market it? I doubt it. You can make all of the musical and format tweaks you want, if no one is listening to the station to begin with, you're dead in the water. Look at Rock 100.5 and Kicks, both have gone through some version of a "relaunch" this year and in many demos the ratings are worse. Star 94 was 16th last month, if you flip the format and no one hears you do it, did you really flip?

they are going to flip.....

Yes it really doesn't sound like Star will remain the HOT AC/Young CHR format they have been. It sounds like they have various djs around the day not the usual ones. To me, that is a sign. I just pray that they DON'T go URBAN or Rap.

Another point about any post-Christmas flip that hasn't been discussed here - if they are smart enough to blow up Star and create something new, will Entercom cough up the proper amount of money to market it?

It doesn't sound like a complete blow up. If they're talking about it, that means they want it to appeal to existing listeners, and then build on that, rather than a complete rebuild. Marketing in the world of social media means building word of mouth in socials, getting fans to talk about it, maybe a tie-in with a big event somewhere. Not as costly as buying billboards.

I also do not see think a move toward country would make sense on numbers, but there are some interesting revenue potentials for the market with the format. Still, I am at a 5-10%/100 chance
on that move.
?

Country is having some of the same doldrums as CHR right now. There's a reason the ratings for Bull+101.5 aren't as big as they used to be, same with B+Star+Q99.7+Power 96.

It doesn't sound like a complete blow up. If they're talking about it, that means they want it to appeal to existing listeners, and then build on that, rather than a complete rebuild. Marketing in the world of social media means building word of mouth in socials, getting fans to talk about it, maybe a tie-in with a big event somewhere. Not as costly as buying billboards.

I agree. And it is the start of a new decade. Perfect time to be the one station that refreshes. I would believe that revenues (or lack of) had just continued to tank and there was so little upcoming sales on the books after Christmas, that the costs of not doing anything outweighted any and all costs related to rebranding, updating or flipping.

Now, will all the Stars finally align?

Yes it really doesn't sound like Star will remain the HOT AC/Young CHR format they have been. It sounds like they have various djs around the day not the usual ones. To me, that is a sign. I just pray that they DON'T go URBAN or Rap.

A former employee of Star has heard that they will put the HD2 feed on the main channel...

A former employee of Star has heard that they will put the HD2 feed on the main channel...

This would come as news to current employees at Star, as well as people in and around Entercom.

They're openly promoting a post-Christmas return to Modern AC (90s-today) — and they're doing it once an hour! Would be a massive head-fake if a format change occurred... including to all the people who'd be necessary to make it happen.

Just saw their last slide down from a 2.7 to a 2.4. Not looking good.

Can't imagine where their numbers would be if they started Christmas music back in November.

This would come as news to current employees at Star, as well as people in and around Entercom.

They're openly promoting a post-Christmas return to Modern AC (90s-today) — and they're doing it once an hour! Would be a massive head-fake if a format change occurred... including to all the people who'd be necessary to make it happen.

Nearly every con-versation on this board has the "I know someone" post. Makes it fun. Admittedly, Will, the tale tell signs of this particular quick-awkward flip sure had all the signs of at least a Star tweak. If they just go back to the same ole formula, there will be some rough roads ahead. They gotta get some CUME and kick this station into gear.

Nearly every con-versation on this board has the "I know someone" post. Makes it fun. Admittedly, Will, the tale tell signs of this particular quick-awkward flip sure had all the signs of at least a Star tweak. If they just go back to the same ole formula, there will be some rough roads ahead. They gotta get some CUME and kick this station into gear.

Back to the same old garbage actually sounds worse...

So compare the new Star with WNEW:

https://fresh1027.radio.com/playlist

Pretty similar. Currents, Gold, and one 90s per hour.

This is "interesting." Are you seeing/hearing a corporate-style station refresh? This sure puts the GM and PD in an affable position if the ratings don't improve. Yet, is ATL a comparable market for this music mix? What's your first impression of this "change?" If you look at mere ratings both stations are about the same in numbers, so....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom